Re: Archery Proposal

  • Egil Haraldsson
    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 1, 2006
      Greetings,
      As I am new to the world of target archery and GW was basically my
      first event in which I was able to shoot with other archers, both
      bow and crossbow, I found it interesting that many of the "prize
      shoots" were won by crossbowmen. Given the conversation of
      using "modern equipment in a traditional shoot one has to ask
      themselves where do we draw the line of technology in a traditiion
      shoot.

      Now I will admit the long bow I purchased was not a "stick bow"
      but as I am learning one of the reflex/deflex type. Still in the
      traditional sense I used instinctive aiming. Only the point of the
      arrow and the target for finding the point of release. It just
      seemed to me, the newbee, that the crossbowman had the upper hand in
      the shoots. Perigrine did have one shoot in which there were no
      crossbows allowed and one for the crossbow only.

      I guess what I am asking is this, is there a advantage in shoots
      in which the crossbow is allowed verses the stick/recurve?? One
      thing I did notice was the the crossbowman was able to take more
      time in aiming, no string to hold back thus the arm does not get
      tired over the long term such as in a RR. This alone to the newbee
      is a huge advantage.

      Again this is from a newbees eyes and in the long term my vision
      may change. Thank you for the discussion and for exchanging your
      knowledge of this fine art. Happy shooting!

      True Heart, True Aim,
      Your in Service,
      Egil Haraldsson
    • John edgerton
      Message 59 of 59 , Apr 3, 2006
        Actually a more accurate term would be timed ends rather than speed
        ends. In the RR or IKAC the intent is to get as high a score as
        possible in the time given, rather than just getting off as many arrows
        as possible. It is better to shoot four and get twenty points, than to
        shoot nine and get ten points.

        Yes, when shooting into a mass of tightly packed warriors, where most
        any arrow will hit someone, plain speed is important. But, in the
        instance of less tightly packed targets it is a case of accuracy and
        rapid rate of release. When you are trying not to hit a shield or one
        of your own men while attempting to get an arrow or bolt into a visor
        slot, accuracy is important. And then getting off an other shot as
        fast as possible to take out an other opponent, before they kill you or
        one of your friends is reason to shoot rapidly and accurately. Aside
        from sieges, there were countless small scale engagements, aside from
        major battles where a rapid and accurate rate of shooting was
        paramount. In the hunt, when beaters are driving herds of deer toward
        you, killing as many deer as possible for the larder is also important.

        As to period speed ends. Since there is little documentation of just
        how period competitions or training were done, it is difficult to
        positivity state that they were either used or not used. However, I
        do have a copy of a period illustration of a german crossbow
        competition showing an hour glass in the foreground. If it was using
        for timing the shooting or to indicate when to break for lunch, it is
        impossible to say.

        Jon