Crossbows and "Modernness"

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006
      Here's my couple of pence worth. I started shooting crossbow because a
      friend heard I was having problems with my shoulder from an old injury and
      gave me a hideous Powermaster. It was painted (chipping) black and the prod
      was so tired that I could almost throw the arrows faster. I replaced the
      prod with one made by Gladius, designed and fabricated a rear sight (with
      much help from a machinist friend), and shot well enough with it to be
      placed my first time on the Pennsic Champions team. Next, I procured a
      Barnett, made the leather medallions and such, and continued shooting. Then
      I acquired one of Cirion's modified Barnetts with a full wood stock
      surrounding the tiller.

      From a distance, it does not look especially medieval or modern. I am still
      working on a medieval styled clap-lock weapon for demos and when I stand in
      court as Baronial Champion. I also own, though am selling to a person who
      has fallen in love with it, a crossbow from New World Arbalest, which was
      specifically purchased for times when I wanted to look "period" and to shoot
      at events encouraging others to look "period" and just because I was looking
      to become more medieval myself.

      I understand the desire to keep modern appearances off the lines, but wish
      to be "inclusive" rather than "exclusive". For that reason, I figure if it
      ain't got wheels, a front sight, and I can't see through the sides, I will
      probably allow it.

      I have the goal of my archers having fun and being safe. That's all there
      is to it for me.

      Padraig MacRaighne