Word-a-day: Fletcher

  • Saethryth Farsight
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2006
      Check out the Visual Thesaurus (see the sponsor, below)--I always
      use this while writing articles.

      From: Wordsmith <wsmith@...>
      To: linguaphile@...
      Subject: A.Word.A.Day--fletcher
      Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:09:20 +0000
      This week's theme: words related to archery.

      fletcher (FLECH-uhr) noun

      A maker of arrows.

      [From Middle English fleccher, from Old French flechier, from fleche
      (arrow). Ultimately from Indo-European root pleu (to flow), which also gave us
      flow, fly, float, fleet, pulmonary, and pluvial.]

      Today's word in Visual Thesaurus:
      http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=fletcher

      Sometimes this word is used in extended senses, for one who deals in
      arrows and also for an archer, but it is one of those professions that now
      mostly survive as surnames. Some others are Webster (a weaver), Napier (in
      charge of the table linen at a royal estate), and Cooper (makes or repairs
      casks or barrels).

      -Anu Garg (gargATwordsmith.org)

      "[Richard Head]'s garden is a longbow factory. His wife, Lindsay,
      is a longbow champion and a full-time fletcher."
      Angus Watson; Know your Bow: Yew Turn That Changed History; The
      Daily Telegraph (London, UK); Oct 8, 2005.