RE: [SCA-Archery] Question about bow strings.

  • Greg Christensen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2006
      How old of bow?
      Where has it been stored?
      Wood, fiberglass, other?
      How bad of shape was it?

      These need to be answered before I would even try stringing the bow.
      If is a stick of wood stored in a garage, shed, attic, mount it on the wall
      to look at. The wood has probably deteriated so it might explode once
      tension is put on it.

      Fiber glass may not have the same problems, but could be warping, cracking,
      delaminating or fragile.

      Get someone else to look at it before putting a string on it at least and
      tell them what it looked like before you refinished it and how old it might
      be.

      It is to be better safe than having a bow limb sticking out of a body part.

      In Service
      GREGGE the ARCHER