Fiberglass

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Greetings,
      I have shot period with a variety of bows (they keep breaking :-)) for
      the last few years. I don't see fiberglass as an advantage in general.
      On longbows with a fiberglass back you'll get better fps, but I see that
      as more of an advantage when shooting long distances. At 40 yards, I say
      no significant effect.
      With recurves, has not fiberglass been an accepted alternative to
      glue/sinew backing for some years? A totally period composite recurve
      could take two years or so to make, and then if you could even find fish
      bladder glue. A self long bow can be made in a day.
      I'm currently shooting a tri-wood laminate d-section off my hand. The
      laminate gives me an advantage in fps over a selfbow, in general. Same
      category as a selfbow because it's all wood and no fiberglass.
      I am biased being a left hander, but I see shooting in a period style
      as being more important than the materials the bow is made of. Meaning
      that I agree with allowing folks that are shooting off the hand to use
      bows made for the opposite hand, of wood/fiberglass in period div.
      I agree that as long as the fiberglass presents a period appearance it
      should be allowed, i.e., no "bright" colors.
      As long as the no cut in shelf rule is enforced, and/or the archer is
      not shooting off of said shelf, I think the fiberglass should be
      allowed.
      Southern Deputy Archer General, Outlands

      Damian >>~~~>
      Visit the Outlands Archery page at
      http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archgen.html