Banning Fiberglass [was April IKAC Report...]

  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2000
      My Lord Giovanni,

      With regard to:

      "At this time the period division rules allow fiberglass in the period bows,
      however I'm thinking of removing fiberglass from the period division next
      season. I'd like comments, please."

      I shoot an ELB with horn nocks, but my opinion on this issue is that how
      authentic a bow should be, past the already fairly restrictive guidelines,
      should be left to the individual archer. Already the banning of shelfs cut
      into the riser of a longbow has resulted in some archers who had purchased
      such bows for use in the period division to quit shooting IKAC's entirely
      in disgust -- in Caid at least. These abrupt rule changes are capricious
      and do not encourage continued participation in the competition.

      If fiberglass in the bow gives it a clearly modern look (like the blue,
      green or black longbows used for SCA combat archery, for example), then I
      would agree that this is not a bow desired for the period division
      (essentially a clarification of existing rules that discourage skeletonized
      risers and bright metal). HOWEVER, we do not make composite bows out of
      horn/wood and sineu and hide glue or whatever that the Mongols used in
      period for the most part. This for safety and servicability reasons. By
      the same token, I cannot see where only self-bows should be allowed. If
      wood lams are permitted (my ELB, for example, has a lemonwood belly and one
      hickory lam for a back), why not wood-like fiberglass lams? If I had to go
      to a yew selfbow (besides the cost, which I could afford), I would refuse
      due to the temperature extremes experienced in much of Caid and the
      temperature shifts during the day in the desert areas. Not all of us can
      live in English-like climates! (On the other hand, we rarely have to shoot
      in the rain and can shoot outdoors all year! ;-) If the fiberglass in the
      construction is tastefully hidden or appears wood-like in all but detailed
      examination, then it should continue to be allowed.

      Your humble servant,