Re: [SCA-Archery] Banning Fiberglass [was April IKAC Report...]

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Giovanni,

      "At this time the period division rules allow fiberglass in the period bows,
      however I'm thinking of removing fiberglass from the period division next
      season. I'd like comments, please."

      The local climate does make a difference. Myself, I'm shooting a japanese
      longbow made of mulberry wood (I hope this is the english term) with carbon
      fibre reinforcements. It's is quite durable in Drachenwald, Aarnimetsae
      (Finland) with long dry winters that like to kill bamboo bows. The thing is,
      if I would like to have a period japanese bamboo bow it would'nt survive the
      winter without cracking.

      Carbon fiber or fiberglass are not period materials, of course, but
      sometimes they are a must. Keep in mind that nothing prevents an archer to
      choose almost period materials for the bow and arrows for this category.
      Instead of banning a certain material you might like to consider rewarding
      the use of period materials for the division. An example is the Drachenwald
      Round with some extra points for using period materials for the bow, arrows
      with self nocks, and also for bow and arrow making. However, my personal
      opinion is that this makes the scoring slightly unrelated to the skill of
      the shooter. On the other hand, use of fiberglass does not give an unfair
      advantage to the shooter.

      I would expect a decrease in the total number of period division shooters if
      the use of modern materials would be banned. Depending of the location, the
      effect would be different. In Aarnimetsä, most of the people are shooting
      with ash longbows and self-made arrows so the effect would be neglible. For
      James in Caid the effect would be completely different.

      Regards,

      Klaus