Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: A question for the boweyrs

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 12:12 PM
      Iain,

      I have made a plain hickory prod. It is 39 inches from string nock to
      string nock, 1 3/4 inches wide at the center and about 5/8 inches thick at
      the center. In terms of brace height and draw distance, I simply scaled
      down a hand bow. It shot okay but didn't have as much power as I
      expected. I figured a wood bow is much more efficient than steel and ought
      to shoot well even at the lower draw weight. You will likely get better
      performance from the composite since it will be shorter and have a higher
      draw weight. In any case, if I had it all to do over, I'd have made the
      prod a bit longer and wider to get the maximum draw weight I could out of
      it. My best guess is, the problem with a wooden prod is that it relaxes
      between being spanned and shot. This isn't such a big problem with a hand
      bow since you draw and shoot all within a few seconds at most.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)