Cross Bows

  • John and Carol Atkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
      For those discussing cross bows, I just uploaded some pictures I
      took a year ago in Vienna Austria.
      All of these bows were for sale (sorry, don't remember the price
      other than it was seriously out of my budget!) These are the real
      thing and, as you can see from the photos, they all use metal
      prods. I have also been through the armor museum in Vienna and seen
      cross bows all the way from very small, nearly cross pistols, for
      shooting small birds to the large battle bows that need the hand
      crank to load. Most used a metal prod. However, those that used
      composite prods had prods nearly as thick as an average man's arm!
      As I recall, they used wood on the inside, side facing the archer,
      and bone/antler/horn on the outside. Part of Vienna's history is
      that while they were at war with the Moors, the rich had a
      facination of Moorish things. Hence there are some exquisite
      examples of horse bows, arrows, quivers and bow cases in the armor
      museum. I wanted to buy a book of the displays but it was only
      available in German, and as my Deutsch is limited to nock eine beer
      bitte, and vo ist der bahn hof? it would not have served me well -
      probably only frustrated me because I could not read it!

      cog
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2006
        Typically, the horn is used on the belly of bow (facing the
        archer/arbalist) since it is good in compression. Animal sinew is
        used on the back of the bow as it is good in tension. This is all
        glued to a wooden core. The composite crossbow prods I have
        seen in museums are very thick . In comparison, the limbs on
        asiatic composite bows are much thinner.

        On the Paleoworld pages, a bowyer has posted a medieval
        crossbow replica where he disguised his fibreglass prod with
        cork to make it look like a composite prod. At least in the picture,
        it looks good.

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"
        <cogworks@...> wrote:

        > For those discussing cross bows, I just uploaded some
        pictures I
        > took a year ago in Vienna Austria.

        ?b=3
        > All of these bows were for sale (sorry, don't remember the
        price
        > other than it was seriously out of my budget!) These are the
        real
        > thing and, as you can see from the photos, they all use metal
        > prods. I have also been through the armor museum in Vienna
        and seen
        > cross bows all the way from very small, nearly cross pistols, for
        > shooting small birds to the large battle bows that need the
        hand
        > crank to load. Most used a metal prod. However, those that
        used
        > composite prods had prods nearly as thick as an average
        man's arm!
        > As I recall, they used wood on the inside, side facing the
        archer,
        > and bone/antler/horn on the outside. Part of Vienna's history is
        > that while they were at war with the Moors, the rich had a
        > facination of Moorish things. Hence there are some exquisite
        > examples of horse bows, arrows, quivers and bow cases in
        the armor
        > museum. I wanted to buy a book of the displays but it was only
        > available in German, and as my Deutsch is limited to nock
        eine beer
        > bitte, and vo ist der bahn hof? it would not have served me well
        -
        > probably only frustrated me because I could not read it!
        >
        > cog

      • MikelM
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
          I am new to SCA, however, have been a archery person all my life. I would like to get into Cross Bows, does anyone have any good ideas of where I can get a SCA approved cross bow, or plans for one? Edward the Sailor.
        • Liges
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010

            parts, plans, and links to preconstructed.  Very well reccommended in the SCA.

            In Service,
            Liges

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 21, 2010
              If you are looking for a competition crossbow, I would be willing to quote on one of mine with the following features:

              1.Laminated recurve prod with 10 degree custom bow irons.
              2.Hair trigger set.
              3.Quick reload pin.
              4.black powdercoat on stirrup,irons and tickler.
              5.precision delrin nut with tempered steel sear plate.

              Contact THL Pearce Redsmythe, SOL, FBV
              Captain of Archers, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn
              Member of the Æthelmearc 2009 IKAC 1st Place Open Crossbow team,for reference.

              Teagus Khan,
              Lord of War,
              Kingslayer Armory

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "MikelM" <mmiddleton_06360@...> wrote:

              > I am new to SCA, however, have been a archery person all my life. I would like to get into Cross Bows, does anyone have any good ideas of where I can get a SCA approved cross bow, or plans for one? Edward the Sailor.

            • Mikel Middleton
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 21, 2010
                Yes, please me Lord.

                Edward the Sailor

                If you are looking for a competition crossbow, I would be willing to quote on one of mine with the following features:

                1.Laminated recurve prod with 10 degree custom bow irons.
                2.Hair trigger set.
                3.Quick reload pin.
                4.black powdercoat on stirrup,irons and tickler.
                5.precision delrin nut with tempered steel sear plate.

                Contact THL Pearce Redsmythe, SOL, FBV
                Captain of Archers, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn
                Member of the Æthelmearc 2009 IKAC 1st Place Open Crossbow team,for reference.

                Teagus Khan,
                Lord of War,
                Kingslayer Armory

                --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "MikelM" <mmiddleton_ 06360@... > wrote:

                > I am new to SCA, however, have been a archery person all my life. I would like to get into Cross Bows, does anyone have any good ideas of where I can get a SCA approved cross bow, or plans for one? Edward the Sailor.

              • teagus456
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 21, 2010
                  google king slayer crossbow for a pic of an older model without the latest features. Contact me via email through my website www.kingslayer.com and I will return some current pics. What Kingdom are you from? There is an arms embargo against the Mid due to Cirion.

                  Teagus

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 21, 2010
                    We are located in the Eastern Kingdom, I have been in contact with the Canton of Dragon's Aerie, while my youthful heir and page goes to the Crown Baronly of the Bridge for Heavy Fighting training.  I will go to thy web site and discover the mysteries of your armory.

                    Edward the Sailor

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 21, 2010
                      Excellent!

                      TK,Weresheep