Re: Fire arrows

  • Lord Cain Saethydd
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1 12:10 PM
      I have set arrows ablaze during 2 wedding cerimonies. I used burlap
      and oil. Both arrows burned for some time, and were dificult to put
      out. But, both arrows were recovered, and useable, oddly enough. I
      think it may have to do with how you wrap and apply the flammable
      substance.

      Strange how burning arrows can raise the bride-price during a
      Pirate wedding =).

      Cain

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"
      <firespiter@...> wrote:

      > I'm not a big fan of "playing with fire" especially at public
      > gatherings.
      > At Pennsic I hear they build a balsa-wood viking burial ship which
      > fire arrows are shot at, but very special precautions are made
      > including shooting at the boat on water.
      > I believe that period fire arrows probably had a gummy substance
      > like pitch that they could smear on an arrow, or on a piece of
      cloth
      > and wrap about the head. Natural tar can sometimes burn and is
      > suposedly difficult to put out even in a wind, but quite noxcious
      > would assume (like a tire fire).
      > A company in the UK called TODS STUFF sells a reproduction of a
      > german 15th century incendiary recipe. But I believe you might
      have
      > problems importing combustibles into the US without proper customs
      > forms being applied for.
      > I won't speculate on the danger involved or SCA rules might be
      > broken by setting arrows on fire, but I will agree that it seems a
      > bit wasteful to spend ~$3.50 on a well made arrow just so you can
      > set it on fire.
      >
      > -Cian

    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 2 7:24 AM
        I have been lead to understand that cotton wrapping, and olive oil, works
        fairly well and is of course nice to mr. Environment. Also somewhat close
        to what was used in period.

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
          Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows that will stay
          lit when you shoot them?

          Thanks.

          Leif of Crescent Moon
        • Richard Yeager

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
              Depends on if you're looking for real fire or not. At this past Great Western War, we had the opportunity to do a night time clout shoot. Since we couldn't have open flame, we use mini glo-sticks. They're a bit over an inch long, thin, and can be taped to existing arrows. We used clear packing tape and the green/yellow mini's. It worked really well and you could see them easily both in the air and on the ground (with the stick positioned just front of center). They do sell red/purple mini's, but we found them more difficult to see when we were testing. They weren't bad in the pitch dark though. No arrows wasted or lost, no likelihood of being burned, but fun none the less!

              Christina

              Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows that will stay

              lit when you shoot them?

              Thanks.

              Leif of Crescent Moon

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • atruemark@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                Greetings. I built and used fire arrows for a memorial service for Master
                Julian Farnsworth here in AnTir. The basic design was provided by a group in
                Canada who use them every year at an event. In both instances they are being
                shot over water, so it minimizes fire hazard.

                I used burlap sacking, which I cut into 3/4" wide strips, about 18" long.
                These were wound around the head of the wooden arrow shaft to create a bulbous
                head, with the tail of the burlap being at the bottom of the bulbous head
                and secured to the shaft by thin, flexible wire.

                About an hour and a half before they were to be shot the arrows were placed
                head down into containers of gasoline. After soaking for about a half hour
                they were removed and left to dry. This is important because the burlap needs
                to absorb the gasoline all the way through, but not be so wet that when held
                up to be fired that liquid drips or runs back along the shaft.

                Don't hesitate to experiment with the dip vs dry times. Ours actually had
                more drip than was comfortable, mainly because we had a fairly strong wind
                blowing directly into our faces. But it was spectacular to see...up to twelve
                archers at a time standing in a line, in the dark, loosing fire arrows out
                over the Puget Sound in remembrance of one of AnTir's premier archers...

                Regards,

                Master Andras

              • logantheboweyder
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                  Master Leif,

                  www.visionrealization.com/Resources/Resource_Details/Archery.pdf

                  I've not tried it, and suspect my lady would rather I not, so I
                  cannot vouch for how well it works.

                  Logan

                • caleb@buffnet.net
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007

                    > Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows that
                    > will stay lit when you shoot them?
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Leif of Crescent Moon

                    When The Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie, "Prince of Accents" came out, the
                    owner of a local archery shop was asked to demostrate flaming arrows for
                    the local drive-in. He went through everything he could think of and asked
                    a bunch of us for suggestions. The "best" was a rag wrapped around the
                    arrow head and covered in roofing tar. He learned that the arrow has to be
                    either very long, to keep the flames away from his hand and bow, or he had
                    to shoot at half draw. The flames on the tar were blown out half of the
                    time anyway and the rag and tar made the arrow lopsided. He eventually
                    used a sparkler taped to the arrow and ballons filled with naptha.

                    Caleb Reynolds
                  • Keith Crawley
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                      In Ealdormere we have been doing night shoots with glow sticks for many years courtesy of Lord Tosh. we use the longer bracelet sized sticks and make targets and all sorts out of the glow sticks as well.

                      For real fire you will first of all want to make sure you have arrows that are wayyyyy too long for normal shooting. At full draw on a normal arrow the fire will be right about were your bow hand is.. OUCHY... As for keeping them lit that's a good one.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                        We did the same, large glow sticks used for the target for the clout. Wow, it's hard to judge distance in the dark! I'm decent at ranging distance during the day, but at night, that's a whole different story!

                        We haven't been able to talk them into letting us try real flaming arrows yet, but we had talked about 36" tomato stakes from your local Home Depot with the most basic of self nocks. Hey, they're only going to shot once! Unfortunately, southern California isn't the best for anything with open flames anyway.

[...]

                        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font- family:Arial; margin:14px 0px;padding: 0px 14px;}

                        #ygrp-mkp hr{

                        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

                        #ygrp-mkp #hd{

                        color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height: 122%;margin: 10px 0px;}

                        #ygrp-mkp #ads{

                        margin-bottom: 10px;}

                        #ygrp-mkp .ad{

                        padding:0 0;}

                        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{

                        color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}

                        -->

                        <!--

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{

                        font-family: Arial;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{

                        margin:10px 0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{

                        margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}

                        -->

                        <!--

                        #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

                        #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}

                        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}

                        #ygrp-text{

                        font-family: Georgia;

                        }

                        #ygrp-text p{

                        margin:0 0 1em 0;}

                        #ygrp-tpmsgs{

                        font-family: Arial;

                        clear:both;}

                        #ygrp-vitnav{

                        padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}

                        #ygrp-vitnav a{

                        padding:0 1px;}

                        #ygrp-actbar{

                        clear:both;margin: 25px 0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }

                        #ygrp-actbar .left{

                        float:left;white- space:nowrap; }

                        .bld{font-weight: bold;}

                        #ygrp-grft{

                        font-family: Verdana;font- size:77%; padding:15px 0;}

                        #ygrp-ft{

                        font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px solid #666;

                        padding:5px 0;

                        }

                        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{

                        padding-bottom: 10px;}

                        #ygrp-vital{

                        background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}

                        #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                        font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }

                        #ygrp-vital ul{

                        padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}

                        #ygrp-vital ul li{

                        list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid #e0ecee;

                        }

                        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                        font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}

                        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{

                        font-weight: bold;}

                        #ygrp-vital a{

                        text-decoration: none;}

                        #ygrp-vital a:hover{

                        text-decoration: underline; }

                        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{

                        color:#999;font- size:77%; }

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{

                        padding:6px 13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{

                        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{

                        list-style-type: square;padding: 6px 0;font-size: 77%;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{

                        text-decoration: none;font- size:130% ;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{

                        background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0 8px;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{

                        padding:8px 0;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                        font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{

                        text-decoration: none;}

                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{

                        text-decoration: underline; }

                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{

                        margin:0;}

                        o{font-size: 0;}

                        .MsoNormal{

                        margin:0 0 0 0;}

                        #ygrp-text tt{

                        font-size:120% ;}

                        blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}

                        .replbq{margin: 4;}

                        -->

                        <!--

[...]

                      • reza gilman

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                            Go to
                            http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/koreanarchery/koreaarchery2.shtml
                            and click on the picture for "fire arrow" to see a period-style design from
                            Korea.

                            Chidiock

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                              Now might be a good reminder that the common arrow sealer used today
                              has nitrocellulose as its primary ingredient, and sustains
                              combustion quite nicely, so if you do get the fire part to work, and
                              stay lit after it hits a target, that the arrow will pretty much be
                              toast afterwards. As well as the obvious dangers (flying flaming
                              objects possibly sending flaming bits anywhere along the trajectory,
                              having a burning wad of rags right by your bow hand, shooting an
                              arrow that you cannot verify that it isn't about to burn through,
                              etc...)

                              Logan

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "locm@..." <locm@...> wrote:

                              > Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows
                              that will stay
                              > lit when you shoot them?
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > Leif of Crescent Moon

                            • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                Cool... there's a message arrow too.
                                Whisk THUNK .... "Message for you sir" ....

                                --

                                // Merry

                                ----------
                                "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
                                Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
                                Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel

                              • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                  I wonder if inertia has ever been a problem... I.e. I'm having a Looney
                                  Tunes image form in my mind.

                                  1. character holding a flaming arrow at draw

                                  2. close up to where the fire is burning off the material used to secure
                                  the rag-bundle to the shaft.

                                  3. Release!

                                  4. Arrow zips away leaving the mass of burning rags behind

                                  5. Standard cartoon physics engage

                                  6. Burning rags remain hovering while:
                                  a) camera pans back to show full character.
                                  b) character sees what happened.
                                  c) character comprehends what happened
                                  d) camera pans back more to show character
                                  standing in the middle of something highly
                                  flameable or explosive.
                                  e) pan back to character.... Face fills with terror
                                  f) one of two things happen.
                                  o Fatalistic look of accepting cruel fate crosses face
                                  o Plan for escape forms and character begins very
                                  first step of plan.... Begins.. no more.

                                  7. The forces of gravity resume function.

                                  8. Rags drop in to flammable substance.

                                  9. Woosh, upwards flame or explosion.

                                  10. Smoke clears to show charcoal colored character & equipment.

                                  11. Top limb of bow crumbles into ash top down.

                                  12 Bottom limb of bow crumbles into ash bottom up.

                                  13. White eyes of charcoal character blink exactly twice.

                                  14. Character crumbles to ask bottom up and top down.

                                  15. Ashes briefly hover before falling into small mound.

                                  16. Optionally, eyes may remain unburned to fall and rest in little
                                  mound of ash. They may again blink bewilderedly.

                                  --

                                  // Merry

                                  ----------
                                  "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
                                  Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
                                  Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                  Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel

                                • Cian of Storvik
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                    Tods Stuff in the UK sells incendiary charges based on a historic
                                    German recipe of the 15th cen (so they claim). Their charges are pre-
                                    shaped wads that can be pressed onto an arrow head and lit. Due to
                                    shipping issues with combustables, you might be able to contact them
                                    to see if they would be willing to share the recipe.
                                    http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/incendiarycharges.php

                                    -Cian
                                  • Hal Snyder
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                      I use Profin with very good results and it is not anywhere near as
                                      flammable or toxic as LACQUER, which if you read the safety info on
                                      it is far more flammable and toxic than gasoline. And Lacquer is
                                      very flammable even after curing.... I am sure that this is the
                                      sealer that Logan is referencing. Another advantage to Profin is
                                      that you can dip it over your acrylic cresting to protect it.

                                      Harald

                                      Azure, on a cross argent between four arrows in saltire points to
                                      enter Or, a drawknife sable

                                      On Oct 23, 2007, at 2:11 PM, logantheboweyder wrote:

                                      > Now might be a good reminder that the common arrow sealer used today
                                      > has nitrocellulose as its primary ingredient, and sustains
                                      > combustion quite nicely, so if you do get the fire part to work, and
                                      > stay lit after it hits a target, that the arrow will pretty much be
                                      > toast afterwards. As well as the obvious dangers (flying flaming
                                      > objects possibly sending flaming bits anywhere along the trajectory,
                                      > having a burning wad of rags right by your bow hand, shooting an
                                      > arrow that you cannot verify that it isn't about to burn through,
                                      > etc...)
                                      >
                                      > Logan
                                      >
                                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "locm@..." <locm@...> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows
                                      > that will stay
                                      > > lit when you shoot them?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks.
                                      > >
                                      > > Leif of Crescent Moon

                                    • Luigi Kapaj
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                        > 2a. Fire arrows

                                        Its not longer arrows or shorter draw, its longer arrow heads. Especially
                                        consider the strategic over tactical use of fire arrows - you would need
                                        your best range, so definitely no under drawing your bow.

                                        I have come across pictures of extant fire arrows in my Mongol research. The
                                        arrowhead is a 6-10" long spike, where the flamable material would get
                                        wrapped not touching the wood of the arrow, and having 4 cross spikes about
                                        1 or 2" at 90 degree angles from the base of the arrowhead and each other.

                                        The cross spikes may serve multiple functions. First, it prevents the
                                        flamable material from sliding up on the arrow shaft. Second, it would limit
                                        any penetration. You don't want to pierce a surface, especially cloth or
                                        felt walls or thatched roofs they often faced, you want to stop and ignite
                                        it. Third, if the arrow hits a hard surface and falls, it can act as a
                                        secondary catch to grab the surface to stop and ignite it.

                                        Not sure about the flamable material part. Considering what nomads had on
                                        hand, possibly felt soaked in animal grease, or tight bundles of straw.

                                        Puppy
                                        http://www.NYCMongol.com

                                        .
                                      • jameswolfden
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 23, 2007
                                          I posted a picture of some Asian fire arrows similar to what Luigi
                                          is describing. These were on display at the Hong Kong Museum of
                                          Coastal Defence.

                                          James

                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

                                          > > 2a. Fire arrows
                                          >
                                          > Its not longer arrows or shorter draw, its longer arrow heads.
                                          Especially
                                          > consider the strategic over tactical use of fire arrows - you
                                          would need
                                          > your best range, so definitely no under drawing your bow.
                                          >
                                          > I have come across pictures of extant fire arrows in my Mongol
                                          research. The
                                          > arrowhead is a 6-10" long spike, where the flamable material would
                                          get
                                          > wrapped not touching the wood of the arrow, and having 4 cross
                                          spikes about
                                          > 1 or 2" at 90 degree angles from the base of the arrowhead and
                                          each other.

                                          > The cross spikes may serve multiple functions. First, it prevents
                                          the
                                          > flamable material from sliding up on the arrow shaft. Second, it
                                          would limit
                                          > any penetration. You don't want to pierce a surface, especially
                                          cloth or
                                          > felt walls or thatched roofs they often faced, you want to stop
                                          and ignite
                                          > it. Third, if the arrow hits a hard surface and falls, it can act
                                          as a
                                          > secondary catch to grab the surface to stop and ignite it.
                                          >
                                          > Not sure about the flamable material part. Considering what nomads
                                          had on
                                          > hand, possibly felt soaked in animal grease, or tight bundles of
                                          straw.

                                          > Puppy
                                          > http://www.NYCMongol.com
                                          >

                                          > .

                                        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 24, 2007
                                            Nope.

                                            The Scarlet Guard of Æthelmearc tried this at a recent event with *long*
                                            arrows and cording wrapped around the tips which were soaked for several
                                            minutes in lamp oil. There was no fear of fire at the target. Every arrow
                                            IMMEDIATELY extinguished upon release. There was discussion about using tar
                                            next time.

                                            Brad

                                            Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows that will
                                            stay
                                            lit when you shoot them?

                                            Thanks.

                                            Leif of Crescent Moon
                                          • William Arwemakere
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 24, 2007
                                              Here in An Tir was a yearly event where fire arrows were shot into the sea. I asked the maker of them for details, and he gave me the "I will have to kill you" answer. He finally relented...

                                              Use 1/2" dowel, as long as you feel safe with. Self nock the shaft. I believe the head end was weighted by inserting a nail into a drilled hole. One could also wire the nail to the shaft.

                                              Take a length of burlap approx 5" wide x a couple feet long. I'm not sure of the exact length. It should be long enough to wrap into a head 1.5" in diameter. Cut "slits" into the burlap along one edge.

                                              Wrap the burlap around the shaft with the slits facing forward. Secure the head with tie wire. The idea of these slits is to cause the leading edge of the head to mushroom open on release, creating a buffer behind so the arrow stays lit.

                                              Soak the heads in kereosene. I think they let them sit for 10 minutes or longer, to ensure full penetration.

                                              Light the head. Let the head burn for at least 10 seconds.

                                              Nock, draw, release.

                                              We have typically had over 100 of these arrows fly in a single night, with very few failures.

                                              William Arwemakere

                                              > The Scarlet Guard of Æthelmearc tried this at a recent event
                                              > with *long*
                                              > arrows and cording wrapped around the tips which were soaked for
                                              > severalminutes in lamp oil. There was no fear of fire at the
                                              > target. Every arrow
                                              > IMMEDIATELY extinguished upon release. There was discussion
                                              > about using tar
                                              > next time.
                                              >
                                              > Brad
                                              >

                                              > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Fire arrows
                                              >

                                              > Does anyone out there have any information on making fire arrows
                                              > that will
                                              > stay
                                              > lit when you shoot them?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks.
                                              >
                                              > Leif of Crescent Moon

                                            • John edgerton
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                I believe the same effect has been done, with a bit more effort, by
                                                using small metal funnels or a cone of aluminum foil infront of the
                                                burning material to deflect the wind that tries to blow it out.

                                                Jon

                                              • carl.west@comcast.net
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                  > Use 1/2" dowel,...burlap ... kereosene.... 10 seconds... Nock, draw, release.
                                                  >
                                                  > We have typically had over 100 of these arrows fly in a single night, with very
                                                  > few failures.

                                                  No fletching? Cool.
                                                  How far/high do they go?

                                                  - Fritz
                                                • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 25, 2007
                                                    Were you just firing them into a field or at a target? No problem setting
                                                    grass or such on fire? I would love to see this, it sounds like a blast. You
                                                    KNOW what we will be trying soon!

                                                    Lady Lorelei Greenleaf
                                                    Crois Brigte, Sacred Stone
                                                    Atlantia

                                                    In a message dated 10/25/2007 12:35:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                    carl.west@... writes:

                                                    > Use 1/2" dowel,...burlap ... kereosene.... 10 seconds... Nock, draw,
                                                    release.

                                                    > We have typically had over 100 of these arrows fly in a single night, with
                                                    very
                                                    > few failures.

                                                    No fletching? Cool.
                                                    How far/high do they go?

                                                    - Fritz

                                                    Lorelei

                                                  • jameswolfden
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 25, 2007
                                                      The event was Mermaids Tourney in the Shire of False Isle and the arrows were fired from
                                                      the beach into the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately, the site location has been redeveloped and
                                                      the Shire had to move the Tourney elsewhere away from the water.

                                                      http://home.prcn.org/sfryer/SCA/Mermaid2001/flarrows.html

                                                      We have a few more photos on the Lions Gate Archer group. I will see if I can post some
                                                      here.

                                                      James

                                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, loreleiElkins@... wrote:

                                                      > Were you just firing them into a field or at a target? No problem setting
                                                      > grass or such on fire? I would love to see this, it sounds like a blast. You
                                                      > KNOW what we will be trying soon!
                                                      >
                                                      > Lady Lorelei Greenleaf
                                                      > Crois Brigte, Sacred Stone
                                                      > Atlantia
                                                      >
                                                      > In a message dated 10/25/2007 12:35:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                      > carl.west@... writes:

                                                      > > Use 1/2" dowel,...burlap ... kereosene.... 10 seconds... Nock, draw,
                                                      > release.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > We have typically had over 100 of these arrows fly in a single night, with
                                                      > very
                                                      > > few failures.
                                                      >
                                                      > No fletching? Cool.
                                                      > How far/high do they go?
                                                      >
                                                      > - Fritz
                                                      >

                                                      > Lorelei

                                                    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Nov 2, 2007
                                                        Æ Scarlet Guard target was a fire pit with lamp oil soaked wood for the
                                                        bardic circle at the end of an archery event. The Guard was going to set the
                                                        wood afire. I like the burlap idea with slits. Makes sense.

                                                        Brad