Re: Finger guards

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2006
      Ascham (16th Century) documents the shooting glove in Toxophilus but
      this is later than you are asking. Hugh Soar in his document "The
      Crooked Stick" has a picture of a youth tab that I think he dates back
      to the 15th or 16th century.

      As for 12th to 13th, I would expect that gloves, tabs, and bare fingers
      were used. Gloves (generic) go back a fair way and will give you a
      better release than bare fingertips even if the the weight of the bow
      isn't a problem. They might have just been regular gloves not three
      finger gloves or what Ascham describes.

      There is an SCA guild for glove makers, I believe, that might have a
      more definite answer.

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Alaric de Colville" <awilisch@...>