Re: Introduction and a question

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2006
      Beeswax by itself can be used.
      Some other sealants that are traditional

      Beeswax polish (usually a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil)
      Orange wax (used for salad bowls)
      Linseed oil (Danish oil)
      Tung oil
      Walnut oil
      Rendered bear fat
      bacon grease if you don't have any rendered bear fat in your
      kitchen

      All these need to re-applied at regular intervals.

      YIS,
      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Aric Wilisch"
      <lord_wilisch@...> wrote:

      > Greetings to all.
      >
      > I have just recently returned to the SCA after a time away and
      am
      > looking forward to making more of my time now that I have
      returned.

      > I have also recently revived another lost love, archery, this time
      > using the longbow instead of a recurve. I look forward to
      reading
      > through past posts as well as sharing experiences with you
      fine folk.

      > I sent one message but I fear it was lost as it has not yet
      appeared.
      > I just recently stained my new 66" longbow and someone
      suggested I put
      > a coat of spray glass on to seal the wood and give it more
      finish.
      > While I love the idea of more finish, I would rather seal it with
      > something more period specific. Would anyone know what
      might have been
      > used to seal a longbow? Someone once suggested beeswax.
      Any thoughts