Moving files to the internet impaired was Re: Meare Heath

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 1999
      > So many of our members are on Juno without web access - that seems to be a
      > real problem at least in Calontir - so many of my marshals are only on
      > Juno that my marshal's website is only marginally useful.

      There are some web-to-email services out there that might be
      useful. I don't have the URL's handy but you should be able to find
      them with any of the better search engines. These services allow
      you to submit an URL by email; they retrieve the webpage via http
      or ftp; and email it back to you.

      > Does the newest version of Juno allow receipt of attachments? I am
      > certain that the last version I had to mess with did not allow the sending
      > of attachments, but what about receiving?

      I haven't reviewed Juno in a while so I don't know. Unfortunately, I
      suspect that the only gauranteed solution in the long run is for
      people to get actual internet access rather than rely entirely on free
      limited-service email solutions like Juno.

      > And is there a way to request these files from the site by e-mail instead
      > of by web?

      I don't believe ONElist provides email responder services for its file
      areas directly, but as mentioned above, such services do exist.

      > Just a few questions for our less technologically equipped folks

      Chances are those people who simply can't get true internet
      access will tend to just request files direct from their owners by
      email.

      Macsen
    • Bob & Nancy Upson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 1999
        > There are some web-to-email services out there that might be
        > useful. I don't have the URL's handy but you should be able to find them
        > with any of the better search engines. These services allow you to submit
        > an URL by email; they retrieve the webpage via http or ftp; and email it
        > back to you.

        Here's on that is current and operational:

        http://resources.bellanet.org/email.htm

        To get that page (or most any other) by email, email to:

        www4mail@...

        with the message:

        GET http://resources.bellanet.org/email.htm

        The web page will be returned to you by email within a few minutes.
        (There is a free usage restriction of 300 per week on this particular server.)
        Regretably, this will not work with the ONElist file space as the email
        access method is unable to handle the site entry security requirements.

        Macsen