Diameter of Saunders matts used at Caid Open archery tournament?

  • Mark R. Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
      Carolus,
      The Shire of al-Sahid is going to buy some Saunders Grass Matts for
      the Shire and I can't remember the size of the matts at Caidan Open.

      Were they 36" or 48" matts, and does anyone else have any comments on
      these matts?

      In service,
      Lord Ryan of Rickford, Seneschal, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid
    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
        IIRC, they are 48" mats, Ryan. Certainly larger than 36".

        James
        jotl@...

        At 10:58 PM 1/23/06 +0000, Mark R. Miller wrote:
        >Carolus,
        > The Shire of al-Sahid is going to buy some Saunders Grass Matts for
        >the Shire and I can't remember the size of the matts at Caidan Open.
        >
        >Were they 36" or 48" matts, and does anyone else have any comments on
        >these matts?
        >
        >In service,
        > Lord Ryan of Rickford, Seneschal, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • LD.BLACKMOON
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
          greetings

          the barony of northkeep , in ansteorra , uses the 36 " saunders matts .
          they have been in service for over 2 years , and are still tight enough to
          pull points off .
          they are larger than the fita 60 cm ikac target .

          they were purchased from www.newenglandcamp.com
          i could find no place even close to their price .

          the only problem i found was that their stands keep the targets at ground
          level . since they sell mainly to children's camps .

          hope that helps

          be safe, be happy , have fun
          arthur blackmoon
          > The Shire of al-Sahid is going to buy some Saunders Grass Matts for
          > the Shire and I can't remember the size of the matts at Caidan Open.
          >
          > Were they 36" or 48" matts, and does anyone else have any comments on
          > these matts?
          >
          > In service,
          > Lord Ryan of Rickford, Seneschal, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
            48" Using the full size mats allow any target to be used and is more
            generally usable with various stands and setups. The 36" mats are
            good for up to 80cm faces and are not usable for York or other long
            range competitions. The current mats the Kingdom has are 48". In
            fact, last I heard the Kingdom mats are looking for a home. If you
            are interested in housing them please contact the Barony of
            Lyondemere, they had them last.
            Carolus

            At 02:58 PM 1/23/2006, you wrote:

            >Carolus,
            > The Shire of al-Sahid is going to buy some Saunders Grass Matts for
            >the Shire and I can't remember the size of the matts at Caidan Open.
            >
            >Were they 36" or 48" matts, and does anyone else have any comments on
            >these matts?
            >
            >In service,
            > Lord Ryan of Rickford, Seneschal, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >--
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
              In my personal experience, Saunders matts are great ...

              However, shipping (to the East Coast at least) will kill you as they become
              very expensive ...

              And they do not last long enough to justify their cost.

              I can get foam circle targets for $50-$100 that last years upon years of
              heavy service ... and if the center gets shot out, stuff some replcement
              foam in there.

              The Saunders matts end up lasting only 2 years of 'active Barony' use ...
              after that time, their center is so shot up that the burlap is completely
              gone, and the hay is just falling out and so loose that arrows (especially
              bolts) just go right through without stopping.

              Now, that said, I just looked at New England Camp's website ... as
              suggested, and WOW they do have them cheap. $70 for a 36" (the 'standard
              size' in use around here) They claim add 14% for shipping, so you can get
              one for basically $80. That is a much better deal. As it current stood we
              used to pay over $150 for these, since they were $100 plus at least $50
              freight shipping.

              At $80 ... they are worth it.

              Siegfried
              - Whosa might be needing to talk the Barony into buying some ... our current
              foam ones are disintigrating.