Re: [SCA-Archery] Javelins

  • Mark Cantwell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
      Beannachtai All,
      Just because I'm a curious cat, why are they not legal? It doesn't seem to me that they would produce any more force than a combat bow.

      Baldwin deConteville

      Eadric Anstapa <smills@...> wrote: Rj Bachner wrote:
      > Hmmmmm would atlatls be legal if padded properly?
      > Ragi

      No. Been down that road before.

    • Mark Cantwell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2006
        (last comment on subject per moderator's request)
        Actually, they are an old world weapon. They developed in the mediterranean basin on the north african side, IIRC, ca. 16,000 yrs. ago + or -. They then migrated with humans across the globe and were later supplanted in most areas with bow and arrow.

        Baldwin deConteville

        Lord Caedmon Wilson <caedmon.wilson@...> wrote:
        Too many people don't like the atlatls because they are a new world weapon.

      • lindorie55
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
          While the word atlatl is a 'new world' term, the technology behind the
          device is hardly so. Whether you call it an atlatl, a spearthrower,
          woomera (australian aboriginal term)or whatever, the technology has
          existed worldwide as this article indicates:

          http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/hhistory/atlatl/atlatl.html

          seems to me that the African examples as well as the European ones
          predate the 'new world' considerably.

          Atlatl has come to be a term that is used for any spear/dart throwing
          stick, not just the meso-American ones kind of the way the word sling-
          shot has been used to describe several types of stone-throwing
          devices. Not necessarily accurate, but commonplace. I doubt that any
          paleo Indians would recognize the new graphite atlatls as the same
          device as they used...but I bet they would appreciate them! :)

          Cheers,

          Lyneya de Grey

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
          <caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:

          > Too many people don't like the atlatls because they are a new world
          weapon.

          > Now, if you want an old world equivalent, look at making an amentum.
          > The romans used them to throw their spear further and harder.
          >
          > --
          > Lord Caedmon Wilson
          >
          > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
          >
          > Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
          > saxum immane mittam.

        • Harry Bilings
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
            you can get a lot more force with an Atlatl, with practis you can hit your
            mark farther out as well.

            plachoya
            humble archer
            Ravens Fort Ansteorra