Re: [SCA-Archery] Javelins

  • Mark Cantwell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
      Beannachtai All,
      Just because I'm a curious cat, why are they not legal? It doesn't seem to me that they would produce any more force than a combat bow.

      Baldwin deConteville

      Eadric Anstapa <smills@...> wrote: Rj Bachner wrote:
      > Hmmmmm would atlatls be legal if padded properly?
      > Ragi

      No. Been down that road before.

    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2006
        Because an Olympic Javelin thrower can take an SCA Heavy off of their feet
        with our current javelins ... Do you really wanna see them with an atlatl
        thrower powering that?

        Oh, BTW:

        <List_Owner_Mode>
        This is the Target Archery List ... Please wrap up any discussions of the
        combat aspect of javelins in the SCA and move it over to
        SCA-Missile-Combat. Thank You.
        </List_Owner_Mode>

        Siegfried

        On 1/16/06, Rj Bachner <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:

        > And why would atlatls, suitably adjusted for safety not be a viable way to
        > lob javalins at them silly looking heavies?
        >
        > ragi

      • Mark Cantwell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2006
          (last comment on subject per moderator's request)
          Actually, they are an old world weapon. They developed in the mediterranean basin on the north african side, IIRC, ca. 16,000 yrs. ago + or -. They then migrated with humans across the globe and were later supplanted in most areas with bow and arrow.

          Baldwin deConteville

          Lord Caedmon Wilson <caedmon.wilson@...> wrote:
          Too many people don't like the atlatls because they are a new world weapon.

        • lindorie55
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
            While the word atlatl is a 'new world' term, the technology behind the
            device is hardly so. Whether you call it an atlatl, a spearthrower,
            woomera (australian aboriginal term)or whatever, the technology has
            existed worldwide as this article indicates:

            http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/hhistory/atlatl/atlatl.html

            seems to me that the African examples as well as the European ones
            predate the 'new world' considerably.

            Atlatl has come to be a term that is used for any spear/dart throwing
            stick, not just the meso-American ones kind of the way the word sling-
            shot has been used to describe several types of stone-throwing
            devices. Not necessarily accurate, but commonplace. I doubt that any
            paleo Indians would recognize the new graphite atlatls as the same
            device as they used...but I bet they would appreciate them! :)

            Cheers,

            Lyneya de Grey

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
            <caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:

            > Too many people don't like the atlatls because they are a new world
            weapon.

            > Now, if you want an old world equivalent, look at making an amentum.
            > The romans used them to throw their spear further and harder.
            >
            > --
            > Lord Caedmon Wilson
            >
            > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
            >
            > Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
            > saxum immane mittam.

          • Harry Bilings
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
              you can get a lot more force with an Atlatl, with practis you can hit your
              mark farther out as well.

              plachoya
              humble archer
              Ravens Fort Ansteorra