Re: Stringwalking

  • misasai
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 6, 2006
      I shot against another Barebow in Tulare, Ca in a FITA competition and
      he was stringwalking. Barebow FITA class is a stripped down modern
      recurve bow. I like shooting in the Barebow class in FITA.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus von Eulenhorst
      <eulenhorst@e...> wrote:

      > One of the guys I shot with in college used this style quite
      > successfully in FITA outdoor competitions at distances up to 90
      > metres. I haven't seen anyone use it in 25 years.
      > Carolus
      >

      > At 08:17 PM 12/28/2005, you wrote:
      >
      > >I think I can answere this since I have seen someone use it skillfully.
      > >
      > >The technique he was using is for shooting in classes that do not allow
      > >sights on bows. They are called bare bow class and are normally
      shot using
      > >fingers only release.
      > >
      > >First the archer sets up the bow to shoot three finger under(the
      arrow) with
      > >two nock points to hold the arrow in place. Then he moves his fingers
      > >further down the string until the tip of the arrow lines up with
      the point
      > >of impact. The result is the tip of the arrow is now the front
      sight and if
      > >the tip of the arrow is held on the center of the target the arrow
      will go
      > >there on release. He counted the number of wraps of servings to
      get the
      > >distance below the arrow to hold. It would be a different amount
      for each
      > >distance.
      > >
      > >The man I saw use it was good enough to put 4 arrows touching each
      other at
      > >20 yards.
      > >
      > >It does put a lot of strain on a bow. It is not normally allowed
      in SCA
      > >shoots. You have to have a very good release to get good with it.
      It is
      > >normal used at short yardage. If you want to try it, use a recurve
      at 20
      > >yards until you find out how hard it is to master.
      > >
      > >James Cunningham
      > >
      > > > Ok, having read all these posts I must confess confusion as to what
      > > > exactly string walking is. I am a fairly new archer and have never
      > > > heard this term before. I get that it has something to do with
      > > > either nock or finger placement on the string but not sure past
      that.

      > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"

      > > > the
      > > > abilities

      > > > close I
      > > > one-
      > > > using
      > > > you
      > > > tab
      > > > the
      > > > SCA
      > > > as

      > > > animal
      > > > nock

      > > > stringwalk.

      > > > authority

      > > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
      > > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

      list]

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > >--
      12/29/2005

    • blkknighti@aol.com
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 23, 2006
        If I were a dog I know my preference ... but I guess thats why I'm not a
        dog...OMG eating bon bons off a women breast, the vision in my head is... for lack
        of a better term.... titillating! :)