Re: [SCA-Archery] Ranging

  • Dan Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hay guy instintive shooting is the true archer.
      I am a fanatic bowman. I shoot guns but my love are bows. I was taught to shoot instintive by the indian kids when I was a boy. I shoot my compound bow on the rare times I shoot them instintive. Reflexes are always faster than sights. I became a sniper because I was taught to shoot a rifle the same way.
      I just started playing with crossbows. Oklahoma if you have a disability you can shoot crossbow. Im starting to enjoy it but I have killed two deer and so far nine hogs with a modified english long bow. My bow isnt quite as long.
      In vietnam I used a 43in bow. only had around 45lb but enough to put a man down.
      Rangers are now using crossbows. Unheard of when I was still in. A few guys like me liked bows. Dont remember ever seeing anyone carry a crossbow. I just bought a horton out of China 250lb. Thats a monster. Im 6'2' 250 and its fun to try to cock without a cheater strop. talked to some SEA folks today and they said strops are not legal in SEA why not ifj only on the safty side.
      Im a bowman but havnt yet warmed up to playing robin hood. Not putting it down just havnt been around it enough yet. Do you guys get really tecnical on what is used on a bow?? ie saftey the old crossbows didnt have saftys but to me thats only common sence. I make knives and staffs for some of the SEA guys. aswell as odds in ins leather wise. If it looks real is that good enough. I have to stats for swords and hand weapons. I dont see any safe way to shoot a bow at a person and not have a risk on injury. I was asked to make nine bows for combat. Theyare getting me the rules but I really dont know if I want to risk my name on this. I have seen guys get hurt with paint ball arrows are such an unknown inity once realised.
      Last anyone looking for bamboo give me a yell. I found a pritty good sorse and his prices are really fair. Im still trying to find asian yell bamboo but not yet. That stuff is almost as nice as steel. thanks for your time....

      WilliamTheArcher@... wrote:

      In a message dated 1/1/06 4:44:17 PM, jrosswebb1@... writes:

      > I myself am an instinctive archer that employs a certain amount of "gap"
      > shooting using Howard Hill's "split vision" method. It's something that I
      > practiced intuitively from the start before I even read about Howard Hill and then
      > studied his technique. Is it period? Beats me!

      Could you take a moment and elaborate on this?

      William the Archer

      Yahoo! Groups Links