Article in "The Oak" on crossbow maintenance

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
      One of the benefits we get being a paid member to the SCA is Kingdom
      Newletters. General events and anouncements come 1/mo in Atlantia
      called "the acorn", as well as a annual to semi-annual newsletter "the
      Oak" which is an A&S publication.
      This latest Oak has a pretty good article by our Dep. Earl Marshal on
      Crossbow maintenance. It also looks like a good read for marshals (who
      have to inspect these diabolic mechinations of hades).
      After you give it a read, and realize all the things that can adversly
      affect a crossbow's release, I'm doubly again glad to have a stick
      with a string on it (read: handbow).
      It also has some very crudely drawn illustrations :) which visualize
      the "issues" and repairs that are likely.
      -Cian
    • A B ZDARSKY
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
        Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this article?
        Aleksei Zateev
        An Tir
        One of the benefits we get being a paid member to the SCA is Kingdom
        Newletters. General events and anouncements come 1/mo in Atlantia
        called "the acorn", as well as a annual to semi-annual newsletter "the
        Oak" which is an A&S publication.
        This latest Oak has a pretty good article by our Dep. Earl Marshal on
        Crossbow maintenance. It also looks like a good read for marshals (who
        have to inspect these diabolic mechinations of hades).
        After you give it a read, and realize all the things that can adversly
        affect a crossbow's release, I'm doubly again glad to have a stick
        with a string on it (read: handbow).
        It also has some very crudely drawn illustrations :) which visualize
        the "issues" and repairs that are likely.
        -Cian

        Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/<http://www.medievalmart.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006

          > It also has some very crudely drawn illustrations :) which visualize
          > the "issues" and repairs that are likely.

          Hey! I'm a crossbow maker, not an artist ...

          (Note: I will be happy to take donations of better art *grin*)

        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
            I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and I
            will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
            website.

            Siegfried

            On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:

            > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this article?
            > Aleksei Zateev
            > An Tir

          • i_griffen
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
              I would like to see the Document. It would be a piece of referance
              materal when teaching a new marshall.

              Iain Griffen

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@g...>

              ____
              > THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
              > Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
              > Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target
              Archery
              > http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                Where might we obtain a copy of this publication here on the far
                coast from you?
                Carolus

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Right here, please.
                  Carolus

                  At 05:27 PM 1/4/2006, you wrote:

                  >I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and I
                  >will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                  >website.
                  >
                  >Siegfried
                  >

                  >On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this article?
                  > > Aleksei Zateev
                  > > An Tir

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Yes I want a copy to check my(take down) wiggle prod crossbow and see how
                    many rule of thumbs I can break.

                    James Cunningham
                    crossbow maker also with bad pictures.

                    > I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and
                    > will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                    > website.
                    >
                    > Siegfried
                    >

                    > On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this
                    article?
                    > > Aleksei Zateev
                    > > An Tir

                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Greetings
                      Yeah, one over this way, please

                      Nigel

                      > I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and I
                      > will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                      > website.
                      >
                      > Siegfried
                      >

                      > On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this article?
                      > > Aleksei Zateev
                      > > An Tir

                      "Do these colors match?"
                      "Is this too much jewelry?"
                      "Is that my drink?"

                    • Mike Gideon
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                        A website sounds like an excellent idea.

                        Michel mac Donnchaid

                        _
                        > THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
                        > Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
                        > Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target
                        Archery
                        > http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Samuel "TOSH" McTier
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                          I would like a copy, I you would be so kind

                          Laird Samuel Tosh McTier
                          Head of Circulum Amicitiarum
                          toshmctier@...

                          I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and I
                          will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                          website.

                          Siegfried

                          On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:

                          > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this article?
                          > Aleksei Zateev
                          > An Tir

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Michael Scherrer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                            I would like to see this article also.
                            Thomas of Cologne (Calontir)

                            >From: "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>
                            >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Article in "The Oak" on crossbow maintenance
                            >Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:48:17 -0500
                            >
                            >Greetings
                            > Yeah, one over this way, please
                            >
                            >Nigel
                            >

                            > > I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know
                            >and I
                            > > will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                            > > website.
                            > >
                            > > Siegfried
                            > >

                            > > On 1/4/06, A B ZDARSKY <zateev@...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Any chance that those of us from out of kingdom could peruse this
                            >article?
                            > > > Aleksei Zateev
                            > > > An Tir

                          • effexb
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                              Please send a copy to me also. The Barony of the Rhydderich Hael has
                              quite a few Crossbows and we could use it aa a tool to train new
                              marshals or re-train some of us older ones.

                              Lord Francios Belgraunde the Bladegatherer
                              Captain of Archers
                              Barony of the Rhydderic Hael
                              Kingdom of AEthelmearc

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"

                            • rfultz@up.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Please send me or post the article.

                                TNX,
                                Rick

                                Siegfried
                                <SiegfriedFaust@g
                                mail.com>

                                01/04/2006 06:27
                                PM

                                I'll send the document to you ... If anyone else wants it, let me know and
                                will provide it as well ... if enough want it, I might just drop it on a
                                website.

                                Siegfried
                              • dayrlm
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 6, 2006