RE:Painting bands on arrows

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 25, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:14:01 -0700 (MST)
      From: Copernicus Skygazer <muck@...>
      Subject: Painting bands on arrows

      I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set of arrows. She would
      like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft, what's the best type of
      paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?

      YIS,
      Phillipos the Skeptic

      Sorry to be so slow in responding, but the D*^#@# computer was acting up for
      a few days. I use Fletch Lac to cap-dip my stuff and Testors model paints
      straight out of the bottle for stripes. Deft Wood Finish is a good and
      compatible clear sealer. Note: these are all lacquer based and LaeBeth is
      right, they reek! I have access to a large facility that is unoccupied for
      most of the time. That's where I do stinky projects in winter. Summertime
      (average temps over 50 and mostly dry) I dip and paint in the back yard.

      Baron Nigel has mentioned household and regional cresting. Robert Thorne
      and I both use a varient of the Greenwood Company hood markings on our
      personal arrows. The Green/White/Red/White looks really sharp, IMO.

      Padraig MacRaighne