Re: [SCA-Archery] Cresting and marshaling

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
      Greetings
      The notion of cresting arrows according to Household or award Order colors has occasionally been discussed, but nothing specific has been mandated here, as far as I know. I personally like the idea, but would encourage the creation of designs that had an "Organization" block for the Guard or Order or Household or what have you, together with a "Personal" block to provide room for personal colors or individual patterns. That way, one can have both one's recognized pattern with your group affiliation noted as well.

      Peregrine, regarding your little joke, may I please beg you not to continue it, at least in public, any further? I've attempted to speak to you regarding this on a number of occasions, but you've evaded the issue each time. Between you and me, in personal conversation, it is mildly amusing (or was, the first time you mentioned it), but in a public venue such as this E-list, it may very well be misinterpreted by a new person as really indicating that there are some sort of fees associated with becoming a marshal. That is emphatically not the case, and I sincerely hope that any new archer who is contemplating what it might take to become warranted isn't dissuaded from doing so in the erroneous belief that there are financial commitments (over and above the ordinary ones of attending events at all) owed to Marshalate programs. I would like it if as many folks as possible wanted to be warranted - it would make managing ranges much simpler - and would never throw hurdles in!
      the way of such a goal. Ever. I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a humourless fusspot, but I really feel that in relating jokes, one must be aware of who ones potential audience is.

      Nigel

      > Is anyone aware of whether such a convention is currently in place
      > in the Society? And what's the general opinion of this idea? I know
      > it will interfere with personal cresting, but as long as it's
      > optional I don't think it's that big a hurdle.
      >
      > Peregrine Fairchylde
      > Benevolent Dictator of Flying Sharp Things
      > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
      >
      > P.S. -- Liam, if you really want to become an archery marshal, move
      > to Gleann Abhann or Meridies, 'cause the manual I wrote is MUCH
      > shorter than the one in the Midrealm. And funnier. And my marshal
      > registration fees are much lower than the ones Nigel established
      > back in A.S. 3 when he first became AG.

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
        Greetings
        The notion of cresting arrows according to Household or award Order colors has occasionally been discussed, but nothing specific has been mandated here, as far as I know. I personally like the idea, but would encourage the creation of designs that had an "Organization" block for the Guard or Order or Household or what have you, together with a "Personal" block to provide room for personal colors or individual patterns. That way, one can have both one's recognized pattern with your group affiliation noted as well.

        Peregrine, regarding your little joke, may I please beg you not to continue it, at least in public, any further? I've attempted to speak to you regarding this on a number of occasions, but you've evaded the issue each time. Between you and me, in personal conversation, it is mildly amusing (or was, the first time you mentioned it), but in a public venue such as this E-list, it may very well be misinterpreted by a new person as really indicating that there are some sort of fees associated with becoming a marshal. That is emphatically not the case, and I sincerely hope that any new archer who is contemplating what it might take to become warranted isn't dissuaded from doing so in the erroneous belief that there are financial commitments (over and above the ordinary ones of attending events at all) owed to Marshalate programs. I would like it if as many folks as possible wanted to be warranted - it would make managing ranges much simpler - and would never throw hurdles in!
        the way of such a goal. Ever. I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a humourless fusspot, but I really feel that in relating jokes, one must be aware of who ones potential audience is.

        Nigel

        > Is anyone aware of whether such a convention is currently in place
        > in the Society? And what's the general opinion of this idea? I know
        > it will interfere with personal cresting, but as long as it's
        > optional I don't think it's that big a hurdle.
        >
        > Peregrine Fairchylde
        > Benevolent Dictator of Flying Sharp Things
        > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
        >
        > P.S. -- Liam, if you really want to become an archery marshal, move
        > to Gleann Abhann or Meridies, 'cause the manual I wrote is MUCH
        > shorter than the one in the Midrealm. And funnier. And my marshal
        > registration fees are much lower than the ones Nigel established
        > back in A.S. 3 when he first became AG.

        "Do these colors match?"
        "Is this too much jewelry?"
        "Is that my drink?"

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
          Here's a rarity. I have seen and handled only one of these. A guy here in
          Cleveland has one.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Crossbow-ONE-OF-A-KIND_W0QQitemZ7206080490QQcategoryZ33972QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
        • PLUNKETTARCHER@WEBTV.NET
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
            I have a set of plans for that crossbow. They were printed in Popular
            Mechanics, I believe in late 40's or early 50's. Lot of work to make one
            work right. Very interesting, tho. Abner
          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
              I have George Stevens' (the inventor and maker of this crossbow book
              in which he describes it. He made it to popularize crossbows and it
              was used by a group of young ladies who shot in rather theatrical
              renaissance inspired costumes and were know as the
              Crossbowettes. They performed at least from 1956 to 1963, possibly
              earlier and later as well.
              Carolus