Re: [SCA-Archery] Goals

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2005
      Greetings
      What James says is certainly desirable; let me address some of the official points.

      In the Middle Kingdom, you need to begin as a Marshal-in-Training. It involves obtaining a MiT form, which you can find online, or get from your Regional (or, in fact, quite a few local marshal's - many of us have copies around in case someone expresses interest). Fill out the contact info at the top, inform your Regional that you'd like to be included in the roster. Take the form with you to events, and approach the MiC, identify yourself as an MiT, and ask to work. The MiC will assign you to some part of the range management, with an experienced marshal. At the end of the day, obtain a signature from marshals who you helped. Try to avoid getting many sigs from one individual, or many sigs at one particular event (except maybe Pennsic). You need four sigs for each of three activities - setup and teardown, running lines, and inspection (the fourth category, "Administration" needn't concern you). A class (I teach an inspection class) can count toward one sig. You also ne!
      ed a sig in a special activity, for AMs its running a youth archery line. Once everything is signed off, approach your Regional, give him your form, he will send it up the foodchain and also enter you in the database.

      Strongly recommended - work with a marshal as a mentor, who will guide you in the areas you need work on. Get a copy of the Marshals Manual (again, it's online and downloadable) and read it thoroughly. I can't think of any websites or other study materials as such, and I realize this may seem a bit frustrating since it's Winter, but there are opportunities - If a local marshal is doing indoor practices, help them out. You could help organize a Winter Challenge, if nothing else. There are a few archery-friendly events you can help out at - Better War Through Archery, in Sternfeld, is the classic winter venue. Please don't hesitate to contact me for more help if there is anything I can do for you.

      Cordially;
      Nigel

      > You need to practice and become familiar with all the styles of shooting.
      >
      > You need to be able to shoot well enough to demo when teaching basic archer.
      >
      > You need to know how to teach someone instinctive shooting, gap shooting,
      > point of aim shooting, underhand shooting, aiming, and crossbow shooting.
      > As a marshal you will see them all.
      >
      > James Cunningham
      >

      > > Greetings,
      > > I have two goals for the new year, both with reference, of course,
      > > to the Hunt Guild. I want to become both a warranted Archery Marshall
      > > and a certified Luremaster for coursing.
      > > There's nothing I can do during the winter where the hounds are
      > > concerned, but what could I be doing, what would you recommend doing,
      > > if anything, for the Archery marshall warrant? I believe I have a
      > > copy of the Archery Handbook here, but other than reading that are
      > > there specific websites I should visit to study, read further, etc.
      > >
      > > IS,
      > > Liam O'Shea
      > > Midrealm Hunt Guild

      > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's <a href="http://www.medievalmart.com/" target="_blank">http://www.medievalmart.com/</a>