New to the group and archery

  • thmcinnish
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
      Greetings

      I am new to the group and to archery. While I have some experience
      with a bow it has been much to long since I have been actively involved
      in archery. I set about getting started with both a new long bow and
      recurve that came into my possesion. Next on the agenda is arrow
      making and some leather work for a quiver. I welcome any advice that
      can be offered for a some one new to archery in SCA and in general.

      Thanks.
    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
        More important then guides to shooting, I would suggest you pick up
        (download) the SCA Archery Mashals Handbook. Bows and arrows are not
        toys (I'm sure it is a waste of breath, but it never hurts to
        restate the obvious).
        There are probably books on technique and training that you can get
        at your local library (Look in Reference;Sports;Archery) and direct
        help from local archers. The Archery handbook will give you
        guidelines for range rules (which vary a bit from modern archery
        groups) as well as give you information on range ettiquette.

        Nothing irritates a marshal more then someone who thinks that they
        know how to do archery and then the proceed to nock arrows behind
        the line, or loose arrows at will (before the marshal calls an all
        clear), or even worse you scream HOLD! and they go "Hold what?" It's
        the job of every marshal to make sure that the archers on the range
        know and follow the rules, but my suggestion to you and anyone else;
        never depend soley on someone else's direction for your safety.

        It's not a lot to read, and it can save a bit of embarrasement your
        first time out to an SCA practice/event. And it's always better to
        be safe then sorry.
        -Cian
      • thmcinnish
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"
          <firespiter@y...> wrote:

          > More important then guides to shooting, I would suggest you pick up
          > (download) the SCA Archery Mashals Handbook. Bows and arrows are
          not
          > toys (I'm sure it is a waste of breath, but it never hurts to
          > restate the obvious).
          > There are probably books on technique and training that you can get
          > at your local library (Look in Reference;Sports;Archery) and direct
          > help from local archers. The Archery handbook will give you
          > guidelines for range rules (which vary a bit from modern archery
          > groups) as well as give you information on range ettiquette.
          >
          > Nothing irritates a marshal more then someone who thinks that they
          > know how to do archery and then the proceed to nock arrows behind
          > the line, or loose arrows at will (before the marshal calls an all
          > clear), or even worse you scream HOLD! and they go "Hold what?"
          It's
          > the job of every marshal to make sure that the archers on the range
          > know and follow the rules, but my suggestion to you and anyone
          else;
          > never depend soley on someone else's direction for your safety.
          >
          > It's not a lot to read, and it can save a bit of embarrasement your
          > first time out to an SCA practice/event. And it's always better to
          > be safe then sorry.
          > -Cian

          I found the handbook and have already read through it and will be
          going over it for awhile until the weather warms enough to get out
          and shoot. I am very aware that a bow is not a toy and needs to be
          treated with the same respect as any weapon. I don't plan to start
          shooting until I have a chance to visit with the local archery
          marshal for a 'dry run' on what happens at a shoot.
        • Copernicus Skygazer
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
            I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set of arrows. She would
            like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft, what's the best type of
            paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?

            YIS,
            Phillipos the Skeptic
          • Scott B. Jaqua
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
              Copernicus Skygazer wrote:

              >I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set of arrows. She would
              >like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft, what's the best type of
              >paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?
              >

              >YIS,
              >Phillipos the Skeptic

              Cresting paint needs to be non-reactive with any other paint applied to
              the arrow. If you are dipping the shaft in clear Lacquer, either before
              or after the cresting, then your cresting paint should be Lacquer based.
              Acrylic paint is non-reactive with just about any other paint. But
              Acrylic paint doesn't wear well unless it is sealed with an over coat
              of some clear oil based paint.

              In short, use Lacquer with Lacquer, Enamel with Enamel, Use Acrylic with
              anything as long as you seal it before use.

              Also I believe most commercial fletchers use Lacquer based paint. It
              used to be that archery stores sold a brand called Fetch-Lac. I don't
              know if it is available anymore.

              Njall
            • Jessica E Baas
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
                As for methods...there are a few simple ways to
                assemble a jig to do cresting. There is a cute
                solution that one of the guys in our local group did
                with a lego set with a small rotating motor. Just
                plug one end of the arrow in and it turns, allowing
                you to hold the brush still and let the motion make a
                (near) perfect band.

                This is much cheaper/easier than buying a cresting
                jig. I don't know which set he used, but I would
                imagine any with a small motor would work.

                Christina O'Cleary
                Captain of Archers, Barony of Lyondemere, Caid

                --- "Scott B. Jaqua" <hagerson@...> wrote:

                > Copernicus Skygazer wrote:
                >
                > >I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set
                > of arrows. She would
                > >like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft,
                > what's the best type of
                > >paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?
                > >

                > >YIS,
                > >Phillipos the Skeptic
                > >

                > Cresting paint needs to be non-reactive with any
                > other paint applied to
                > the arrow. If you are dipping the shaft in clear
                > Lacquer, either before
                > or after the cresting, then your cresting paint
                > should be Lacquer based.
                > Acrylic paint is non-reactive with just about any
                > other paint. But
                > Acrylic paint doesn't wear well unless it is sealed
                > with an over coat
                > of some clear oil based paint.
                >
                > In short, use Lacquer with Lacquer, Enamel with
                > Enamel, Use Acrylic with
                > anything as long as you seal it before use.
                >
                > Also I believe most commercial fletchers use Lacquer
                > based paint. It
                > used to be that archery stores sold a brand called
                > Fetch-Lac. I don't
                > know if it is available anymore.
                >
                > Njall

                > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                > Medieval Mart
                > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                > leave this list]
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Laebeth C├║riel
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
                  The only comment I would make is that the lacquer-based paints and sealants
                  are STINKY! Really stinky! You will need exceptional ventilation.

                  I use water-based acrylic as cresting paint and MinWax Polycrylic to seal
                  the shaft before cresting and after. I've been pleased with the results and
                  degree to which it holds up under field conditions. Additionally, it's much
                  cheaper than specialty "cresting" paints and sealants. The low volatiles
                  content and water cleanup (and mistake corrections) are also pluses.

                  The only real drawback with water-based materials is the somewhat longer
                  drying time. Those used to gasket lacquer would probably lose patience.

                  Remember to straighten your shafts very well after the initial sealant.
                  Warped shafts will wobble in whatever cresting jig you use and will give you
                  sloppy (unsatisfying) cresting lines.

                  As far as cresting jigs, if you don't find a usable solution here, you may
                  wish to contact your local Boy Scouts troop - they have come up with some
                  ingenious jig designs on a shoestring budget.

                  Happy fletching!
                  Laebeth.

                • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
                    I used to crest my arrows with a couple of simple bands in my livery
                    colors; however, now I simply hand paint my badge on each.

                    Not sure that cresting is a period practice, or even the use of badges on
                    arrows to denote ownership; however, I know that badges, at least, were
                    used in period.

                    James
                    jotl@...

                  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
                      Where are you located?
                      Carolus

                      At 07:39 PM 12/7/2005, you wrote:

                      >Greetings
                      >
                      >I am new to the group and to archery. While I have some experience
                      >with a bow it has been much to long since I have been actively involved
                      >in archery. I set about getting started with both a new long bow and
                      >recurve that came into my possesion. Next on the agenda is arrow
                      >making and some leather work for a quiver. I welcome any advice that
                      >can be offered for a some one new to archery in SCA and in general.
                      >
                      >Thanks.

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >

                      >--
                    • Rj Bachner
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
                        Heya

                        I use a cordless drill and a simple jig that holds the drill and the shaft
                        about half way down the shaft. I use some surgicle tubeing to hold the shaft
                        and put a piece of 1/4 inch rod in the chuck to hold the tubeing.

                        The arrow slips snuggly in the tube and sits in the jig ever so nice. Then
                        you can drive the screwdriver however fast you want but the shaft has to be
                        as perfectly straight as possible.

                        For the cresting I use 3 coats of oil based satin finish polyurathane and
                        then I have paint pens in different thicknesses to do the painting. They
                        come out nice and work well.

                        I finish off with a spray on coat of satin finish polyu on the cresting end
                        and let dry.

                        I make arrows for a living and this works as well over and over as anything
                        I ever tried.. Sure I could purchase a professional crester but why spend
                        the money?

                        Ragi

                        www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

                        I used to crest my arrows with a couple of simple bands in my livery
                        colors; however, now I simply hand paint my badge on each.

                        Not sure that cresting is a period practice, or even the use of badges on
                        arrows to denote ownership; however, I know that badges, at least, were
                        used in period.

                        James
                        jotl@...

                        At 4:35 PM 12/19/05 -0800, Jessica E Baas wrote:
                        >As for methods...there are a few simple ways to
                        >assemble a jig to do cresting. There is a cute
                        >solution that one of the guys in our local group did
                        >with a lego set with a small rotating motor. Just
                        >plug one end of the arrow in and it turns, allowing
                        >you to hold the brush still and let the motion make a
                        >(near) perfect band.
                        >
                        >This is much cheaper/easier than buying a cresting
                        >jig. I don't know which set he used, but I would
                        >imagine any with a small motor would work.
                        >
                        >Christina O'Cleary
                        >Captain of Archers, Barony of Lyondemere, Caid
                        >
                        >--- "Scott B. Jaqua" <hagerson@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Copernicus Skygazer wrote:
                        >>
                        >> >I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set
                        >> of arrows. She would
                        >> >like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft,
                        >> what's the best type of
                        >> >paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?
                        >> >

                        >> >YIS,
                        >> >Phillipos the Skeptic
                        >> >

                        >> Cresting paint needs to be non-reactive with any
                        >> other paint applied to
                        >> the arrow. If you are dipping the shaft in clear
                        >> Lacquer, either before
                        >> or after the cresting, then your cresting paint
                        >> should be Lacquer based.
                        >> Acrylic paint is non-reactive with just about any
                        >> other paint. But
                        >> Acrylic paint doesn't wear well unless it is sealed
                        >> with an over coat
                        >> of some clear oil based paint.
                        >>
                        >> In short, use Lacquer with Lacquer, Enamel with
                        >> Enamel, Use Acrylic with
                        >> anything as long as you seal it before use.
                        >>
                        >> Also I believe most commercial fletchers use Lacquer
                        >> based paint. It
                        >> used to be that archery stores sold a brand called
                        >> Fetch-Lac. I don't
                        >> know if it is available anymore.
                        >>
                        >> Njall
                        >>

                        >> ---8<---------------------------------------------
                        >> Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                        >> Medieval Mart
                        >> Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                        >> http://www.medievalmart.com/

                        >> leave this list]
                        >>
                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Dan Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 21, 2005
                          Question
                          Im looking at having a hunting pop up shoot. as a fund raisier.
                          Im already getting complaints from the primitive and the long bow folks. that its not fair to have them competw with compound bows. I disagree. For one thing a real archer who hunts shots instint and the compound bow then is just an aid. I have never shot with sights. I get my kill every year. I shoot English Style long bow or a flat bow. Most of the time. Plus there will be targets you will have to shoot at off hand and that will screw the compound boys and gals. We plan to have three tree stands and three blind shoots. The rest of the targets consisting of 18 will be a differant distances and angles plus we are not marking the distanceto the target. HIts will only count if in a kill zone and kill zones will not be marked. I won four shoots last year against compund bows so dont see the big deal.
                          Looking for disinterested opionion. Will be to time consuming to make differant classes. Most places dont bother.
                          Also looking at charging 20 for adults and 10 for kids. Five to anyone who wnts to stay and watch. We even haver one target of big foot who wil stand 15ft tall and be 100yrds away.
                          If this shoot goes well we may look at doing three a year.
                          I dont want to run off the primitive or the long bow shooters. BUt cant afford to not let compound shooters shoot.
                          Is this that big a deal.
                          We are going to run one special class for the diabled they can shoot cross bow. They can hunt with them here will letter form dr.
                          We are killing two dogs will one shot here. One make a little bit of money and do a bow saftey class for the kids. Refresher for the adults. Last get our name out in the comunity.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jessi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 21, 2005
                            The group closest to us that puts on 3D shoots has 4 divisions (compound,
                            recurve, long bow and self-bow). They also separate out men & women and age
                            groups (over 18, 15-17, 12-14, 5-11 and under 5). They charge different for
                            each age division and for family entries as well. I believe they run the
                            divisions at the same time, but with different score cards.

                            They only have a limited amount of information on the website:
                            http://www.socalarchery.com/Malibu/

                            It's definitely a good idea at least to separate the bow types (even
                            traditional and compound). Some who shoot these types of events may not
                            hunt, so compound gets an advantage there. Even if hunters (regardless of
                            bow type) shoot more instinctive, there is still an advantage of a let-off
                            point and being able to hold at full draw with considerably less weight.
                            It's like comparing a manual screwdriver with an electric one to me...you
                            may be able to get the same effect, but the effort put into the manual one
                            is a lot greater.

                            Sounds like a fun shoot, where's it going to be?

                            Christina

[...]
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 21, 2005
                              One way to even up the compound people with the primitives is to add a speed
                              shoot. Multiple rat shoot is one(shoot as may rats as you can in 30 sec.)
                              if done from a stand looking down you do not even have to hunt for the
                              arrows. Or a deer camp shoot where the deer has wondered into camp at
                              breakfast and you have to start with your equiment on the ground behind you.
                              If you have a drop target you can run it as a duel(three or four way to see
                              who is the quickest and best shot.) Or a frog shoot, short range, small
                              target , all instinct.

                              James Cunningham

                            • Guy Taylor
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 21, 2005
                                I tend to do a few 3D shoots with my longbow. It's very rare for me to
                                attend a mixed shoot: trad equipment and compounds. The compound shooters
                                are a different lot, they take a long time to go through a station and trad
                                shooters tend to pile up behind them. Big difference in mindset, too. If
                                you purposefully have shots where you have to bend over to shoot under a
                                branch, or lie down to shoot under an obstruction, the compound guys will
                                complain loud, long, and frequently. They want their shots to be free and
                                clear of any obstructions. Traditional shooters usually enjoy shots like
                                that.
                                Do as you wish, but I wouldn't mix the styles.

                                Guy

                              • Janet
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 22, 2005
                                  James,
                                  I can just see you coming up with a diabolical "jumping frog" shoot to
                                  go along with your multiple rat shoot at Harvest Day. Complete with
                                  ribbetts.
                                  Erriil

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                                  <cunning@f...> wrote:

                                  > One way to even up the compound people with the primitives is to add
                                  a speed shoot. Multiple rat shoot is one(shoot as may rats as you can
                                  in 30 sec.) if done from a stand looking down you do not even have to
                                  hunt for the arrows. Or a deer camp shoot where the deer has
                                  wondered into camp at breakfast and you have to start with your
                                  equiment on the ground behind you.
                                  If you have a drop target you can run it as a duel(three or four way
                                  to see who is the quickest and best shot.) Or a frog shoot, short
                                  range, small target , all instinct.
                                • Frederick Fenters
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 25, 2005
                                    From: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                                    To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                                    Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:14:01 -0700 (MST)
                                    From: Copernicus Skygazer <muck@...>
                                    Subject: Painting bands on arrows

                                    I am helping a new SCA archer to make her first set of arrows. She would
                                    like to paint a blue band or two on the shaft, what's the best type of
                                    paint for this? Any hints on the best methods?

                                    YIS,
                                    Phillipos the Skeptic

                                    Sorry to be so slow in responding, but the D*^#@# computer was acting up for
                                    a few days. I use Fletch Lac to cap-dip my stuff and Testors model paints
                                    straight out of the bottle for stripes. Deft Wood Finish is a good and
                                    compatible clear sealer. Note: these are all lacquer based and LaeBeth is
                                    right, they reek! I have access to a large facility that is unoccupied for
                                    most of the time. That's where I do stinky projects in winter. Summertime
                                    (average temps over 50 and mostly dry) I dip and paint in the back yard.

                                    Baron Nigel has mentioned household and regional cresting. Robert Thorne
                                    and I both use a varient of the Greenwood Company hood markings on our
                                    personal arrows. The Green/White/Red/White looks really sharp, IMO.

                                    Padraig MacRaighne