Need help learning to shoot

  • thmcinnish
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 15 7:39 PM
      I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now need
      some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery practice in
      the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any books or
      periodicals that might be useful. I have found a fair number of
      articles on compound bows, but little in the way of information on long
      bows. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Robert Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 16 12:04 PM
        At 03:39 AM 12/16/05 +0000, you wrote:
        >I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now need
        >some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery practice in
        >the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any books or
        >periodicals that might be useful. I have found a fair number of
        >articles on compound bows, but little in the way of information on long
        >bows. Any help would be appreciated.

        The classic text on archery is "Toxiphilus" by Roger Ascham. "Archery for
        Beginners" is also good, though probably out of print. For a just
        post-period reference, check out "The Art of Archerie", online at
        http://home.att.net/~chidiock/

        Chidiock
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 16 12:07 PM
          Where do you live?

          Jon
          On Thursday, December 15, 2005, at 07:39 PM, thmcinnish wrote:

          > I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now need
          > some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery practice in
          > the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any books or
          > periodicals that might be useful. I have found a fair number of
          > articles on compound bows, but little in the way of information on long
          > bows. Any help would be appreciated.

        • Blackmoon
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 16 7:52 PM
            GREETINGS

            >> >I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now need
            > >some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery practice in
            > >the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any books or
            > >periodicals that might be useful.
            ANOTHER GOOD INSTRUCTION MANUAL WOULD BE THE
            BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA MERIT BADGE SERIES FOR ARCHERY
            IT IS FULL OF INFORMATION USEFUL TO BOTH NEW ARCHERS AND OLD HANDS ALIKE .

            IT CAN BE PURCHASED THROUGH THE BOY SCOUTS .

            HOPE THAT HELPS

            BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
            ARTHUR BLACKMOON
            > >I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now need
            > >some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery practice in
            > >the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any books or
            > >periodicals that might be useful. I have found a fair number of
            > >articles on compound bows, but little in the way of information on long
            > >bows. Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > The classic text on archery is "Toxiphilus" by Roger Ascham. "Archery for
            > Beginners" is also good, though probably out of print. For a just
            > post-period reference, check out "The Art of Archerie", online at
            > http://home.att.net/~chidiock/
            >
            > Chidiock

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Saethryth Farsight
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18 5:05 AM
              Lancasterarchery.com sells a videotape: "Archery: The Basics" by Olympian Ruth Rowe. Covers stringing, stance, draw, anchoring, release, etc. The tape uses recurve bows for the demo, but (except for how to use the sight) is completely relevant to long bows. I rewatch it every few months as a mental refresher.

            • thmcinnish
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 21 7:53 PM
                The Shire of Oakheart (Springfield, MO).

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
                wrote:

                > Where do you live?
                >
                > Jon
                > On Thursday, December 15, 2005, at 07:39 PM, thmcinnish wrote:
                >
                > > I have a bow and will be putting together arrows shortly. I now
                need
                > > some input on learning to shoot. I plan to attend archery
                practice in
                > > the spring and solict help but would also like to know of any
                books or
                > > periodicals that might be useful. I have found a fair number of
                > > articles on compound bows, but little in the way of information
                on long
                > > bows. Any help would be appreciated.

              • James Koch
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 22 10:41 AM
                  Somebody asked whether crossbowmen get to wear funny hats.

                  http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281389

                  James Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                • J. Hughes
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 22 11:06 AM
                    My favorite image of a crossbowman is by Bruegel. He
                    seems to be the only figure that is sympathetically
                    portrayed. He had a neat hat with a bolt stuck in it.

                    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bruegel/adoration.jpg

                    Charles O'Connor

                    --- James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

                    > Somebody asked whether crossbowmen get to wear funny
                    > hats.
                    > >
                    > http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281389
                    > >
                    > James Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com
                  • Cian of Storvik
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 22 11:53 AM
                      I believe that image is Siegfried Sebastian Faust (Deputy Earl Marshal
                      of Archery for Atlantia)...and FYI...it's not just his hat that is
                      silly. He's silly too.
                      -Cian
                      P.S. Congratulations to Siegfried and his wife on winning the Lochmere
                      arrow from Steirbach (who has been holding it, seemingly
                      indefinately). VIVAT!
                    • James Koch
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 22 12:44 PM
                        Charles,

                        I had never seen that one before. I love the use of a bolt as a hat pin.

                        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                        >At 02:06 PM 12/22/2005, you wrote:
                        >My favorite image of a crossbowman is by Bruegel. He
                        >seems to be the only figure that is sympathetically
                        >portrayed. He had a neat hat with a bolt stuck in it.
                        >
                        >http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bruegel/adoration.jpg
                        >
                        >Charles O'Connor
                        >
                        >--- James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Somebody asked whether crossbowmen get to wear funny
                        > > hats.
                        > > >
                        > > http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281389
                        > > >
                        > > James Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                        >Yahoo! DSL ­ Something to write home about.
                        >Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        >dsl.yahoo.com

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • James Koch
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 22 12:46 PM
                          Roger that. And if you look closely you will see his crossbow is made from
                          a piece of oak lumber from a wood pile, complete with bark in places.

                          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                          > At 02:53 PM 12/22/2005, you wrote:
                          >I believe that image is Siegfried Sebastian Faust (Deputy Earl Marshal
                          >of Archery for Atlantia)...and FYI...it's not just his hat that is
                          >silly. He's silly too.
                          >-Cian
                          >P.S. Congratulations to Siegfried and his wife on winning the Lochmere
                          >arrow from Steirbach (who has been holding it, seemingly
                          >indefinately). VIVAT!

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Cian of Storvik
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 22 1:24 PM
                            I like the close-up of your crossbow Gladius (not sure if its your
                            personal, or someone who bought one of your crossbows. But the title
                            is "gladius crossbow"). Very spiff !

                            For anyone that is wondering what I'm talking about. Its one of the
                            other Pennsic 34 photos in the albumn. You'll have to thumb through it
                            to find it.
                            -Cian
                          • Siegfried
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 22 2:06 PM
                              Hey, I resemble that remark!

                              Siegfried - Owner and Wearer of the 'Funny Hat'(tm)

                              On 12/22/05, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

                              > Somebody asked whether crossbowmen get to wear funny hats.
                              > >
                              > http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281389
                              > >
                              > James Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Siegfried
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 22 2:10 PM
                                Well, to be precise it was a limb from a white oak tree that fell in my yard
                                after an ice storm. I was cutting the limb up into firewood (best use I
                                felt given it almost took out my roof!) ...

                                And I saw this one piece of limb that had this perfect 'bend' to it ...

                                So that piece was saved from the fire, and turned into a crossbow.

                                Siegfried

                                PS. The following image is a better one of it, though shows me with an
                                interesting 'scowl'
                                http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281358

                                On 12/22/05, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

                                > Roger that. And if you look closely you will see his crossbow is made
                                > from
                                > a piece of oak lumber from a wood pile, complete with bark in places.
                                > >
                                > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                                > >

                                > > At 02:53 PM 12/22/2005, you wrote:
                                > >I believe that image is Siegfried Sebastian Faust (Deputy Earl Marshal
                                > >of Archery for Atlantia)...and FYI...it's not just his hat that is
                                > >silly. He's silly too.
                                > >-Cian
                                > >P.S. Congratulations to Siegfried and his wife on winning the Lochmere
                                > >arrow from Steirbach (who has been holding it, seemingly
                                > >indefinately). VIVAT!

                                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > >This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 22 7:02 PM
                                  What date is this? I see a face to the far right that has glasses!

                                  He had a neat hat with a bolt stuck in it.

                                  > http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bruegel/adoration.jpg
                                  >
                                  > Charles O'Connor
                                  >
                                  > --- James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Somebody asked whether crossbowmen get to wear funny
                                  > > hats.
                                  > > >
                                  > > http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/53281389
                                  > > >
                                  > > James Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                                  > Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about.
                                  > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                  > dsl.yahoo.com

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Cian of Storvik
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 22 8:31 PM
                                    Framed glasses date back to atleast the 14th cen. According to
                                    Webster's their creation is attributed to an Italian by the name of
                                    Salvina Armato who died in 1371.
                                    Glass blowing dates to around 1 BC in Syria.
                                    There is no guess at how old magnefying glasses or monoculars are. But
                                    it is known that around 1 AD Romans realized that a piece of glass
                                    which was fat in the center and curved on the edges created an optical
                                    enlargement to the eye.
                                    The simple advancement of Bifocals (split lens) was invented by
                                    Benjamin Franklin in 1784.
                                    -Cian

                                    What date is this? I see a face to the far right that has glasses!
                                  • blkknighti@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 22 10:01 PM
                                      The painting in question is by Peiter Bruegal the Elder dated as 1564. Much
                                      earlier depictions of eyeglasses are known, the earliest I know of is 1352 of
                                      Tommaso da Modena.
                                      Richard

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 26 11:10 AM
                                        Cian,

                                        Roger, I found the photo. This was actually a prototype I built a few
                                        years ago to test the issues associated with claplock mechanisms. I had
                                        long been experimenting with different release mechanisms in hopes of
                                        coming up with a type I could make and sell which would be all metal (no
                                        moose horn), Self resetting, easy to make, and easy to install. The
                                        claplock seemed the ideal design. I was going to bring it to Pennsic, but
                                        didn't get it finished. At that same Pennsic Michael Dabek showed up with
                                        a half dozen claplock crossbows for sale. I finished mine over the next
                                        Winter and it shot just fine the first time out. I have since not changed
                                        it other than replacing a worn string, although I am planning on replacing
                                        the 112# prod with one closer to 130#.