Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 2128

  • wolfe351@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hello,

      I will forward your post to the Outlands archery list.

      A question on the subject though. Any great reason to limit it to only the period division crossbows? You would get more response (imho) if you include all crossbow archers.

      YIS,
      Tyr
      Deputy COA Barony of Caerthe, Kingdom of the Outlands

      From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      2. xbow article for PA
      From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      3. Re: xbow article for PA
      From: "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>
      4. Re: xbow article for PA
      From: "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:42:20 -0800
      From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: Estrella xbow competition

      If you have crossbow archers that may be going to Estrella, could you
      repost this to your kingdom archery list.

      Thank you
      *************

      There will be an period crossbow competition held at Estrella War on
      Saturday the 18th at 4:00 on the archery range. I took into
      consideration much of what was discussed on the SCA Archery list. The
      competition will have no timed ends. The scoring area on the targets
      will be small. However, due to the size of the range, it is not
      possible to have distances much greater than 40 yards. The crossbows
      may be shot from any position and may be directly supported. No front
      or rear sights. Crossbows should conform to the IKAC standards for
      period crossbows.

      The first round is the Florin or coin shoot. Small "coins" will be
      attached to the target face. If you hit one, you get a point. You
      will receive one chocolate coin for each point you make. Six ends of
      one bolt. This is based upon the report of Genoese crossbow marines
      shooting from one ship at a coin attached to the mast of on other.

      The second round is the Contona shoot. This has a scoring area with
      four concentric circles, from four to one points. Around this center
      are two outer rings divided into six equal areas, like a dart board.
      However, your hits to these areas score from one to two negative points
      and there are two areas where if hit, you lose your next turn. Six
      ends of one bolt. This is based on the competition in the Italian City
      of Contona which is developed from a shoot done there in medieval times.

      The third round is the Wreath shoot. Your bolts must hit within the
      wreath to score. One end of six bolts. Standard medieval shoot.

      The fourth round is a shoot off between the top scoring archers. The
      one bolt closest to the center of the target wins. One end of three
      bolts. The winner gets the bolts, in the target, of the losers.
      However, they may ransom them with their chocolate coins and the winner
      must then return their bolts. This is also based on medieval Italian
      practice in some cities.

      Jon

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      cunning of mind.

      >snip

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
        Thank you for forwarding the message.

        Just trying to help encourage the use of more period equipment and not
        have the period style crossbows shoot against any modern high tech
        crossbows.

        Jon