Estrella xbow competition

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
      If you have crossbow archers that may be going to Estrella, could you
      repost this to your kingdom archery list.

      Thank you
      *************

      There will be an period crossbow competition held at Estrella War on
      Saturday the 18th at 4:00 on the archery range. I took into
      consideration much of what was discussed on the SCA Archery list. The
      competition will have no timed ends. The scoring area on the targets
      will be small. However, due to the size of the range, it is not
      possible to have distances much greater than 40 yards. The crossbows
      may be shot from any position and may be directly supported. No front
      or rear sights. Crossbows should conform to the IKAC standards for
      period crossbows.

      The first round is the Florin or coin shoot. Small "coins" will be
      attached to the target face. If you hit one, you get a point. You
      will receive one chocolate coin for each point you make. Six ends of
      one bolt. This is based upon the report of Genoese crossbow marines
      shooting from one ship at a coin attached to the mast of on other.

      The second round is the Contona shoot. This has a scoring area with
      four concentric circles, from four to one points. Around this center
      are two outer rings divided into six equal areas, like a dart board.
      However, your hits to these areas score from one to two negative points
      and there are two areas where if hit, you lose your next turn. Six
      ends of one bolt. This is based on the competition in the Italian City
      of Contona which is developed from a shoot done there in medieval times.

      The third round is the Wreath shoot. Your bolts must hit within the
      wreath to score. One end of six bolts. Standard medieval shoot.

      The fourth round is a shoot off between the top scoring archers. The
      one bolt closest to the center of the target wins. One end of three
      bolts. The winner gets the bolts, in the target, of the losers.
      However, they may ransom them with their chocolate coins and the winner
      must then return their bolts. This is also based on medieval Italian
      practice in some cities.

      Jon

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      cunning of mind.

    • Lord Cain Saethydd
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
        Shooting at the mast of another ship? Odd thing to do. If the ship
        was friendly, why endanger the crew by weakening the mast? If it was
        a capture, then why hinder it's ability to be taken to port for
        reward? If it was sinking, then who would be there to tell them who
        won?

        I like the premise of the shoot, but seriously doubt any captain
        would allow that, much less a sober sailor.

        I have been thinking of this one for years, trying to fathom the
        reality of it. More likely they shot at a coin on a backstop lashed
        to the mast. If I were captain, it would be well away from any mast,
        perhaps the side of the vessel. But alas, that is just my opinion.

        But all aside, I really like the idea of the shoot!

        Cain

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:

        > If you have crossbow archers that may be going to Estrella, could
        you
        > repost this to your kingdom archery list.
        >
        > Thank you

        ***
        > *************
        >
        > There will be an period crossbow competition held at Estrella War
        on
        > Saturday the 18th at 4:00 on the archery range. I took into
        > consideration much of what was discussed on the SCA Archery list.
        The
        > competition will have no timed ends. The scoring area on the
        targets
        > will be small. However, due to the size of the range, it is not
        > possible to have distances much greater than 40 yards. The
        crossbows
        > may be shot from any position and may be directly supported. No
        front
        > or rear sights. Crossbows should conform to the IKAC standards
        for
        > period crossbows.
        >
        > The first round is the Florin or coin shoot. Small "coins" will
        be
        > attached to the target face. If you hit one, you get a point.
        You
        > will receive one chocolate coin for each point you make. Six ends
        of
        > one bolt. This is based upon the report of Genoese crossbow
        marines
        > shooting from one ship at a coin attached to the mast of on other.
        >
        > The second round is the Contona shoot. This has a scoring area
        with
        > four concentric circles, from four to one points. Around this
        center
        > are two outer rings divided into six equal areas, like a dart
        board.
        > However, your hits to these areas score from one to two negative
        points
        > and there are two areas where if hit, you lose your next turn.
        Six
        > ends of one bolt. This is based on the competition in the Italian
        City
        > of Contona which is developed from a shoot done there in medieval
        times.

        > The third round is the Wreath shoot. Your bolts must hit within
        the
        > wreath to score. One end of six bolts. Standard medieval shoot.
        >
        > The fourth round is a shoot off between the top scoring archers.
        The
        > one bolt closest to the center of the target wins. One end of
        three
        > bolts. The winner gets the bolts, in the target, of the losers.
        > However, they may ransom them with their chocolate coins and the
        winner
        > must then return their bolts. This is also based on medieval
        Italian
        > practice in some cities.
        >
        > Jon
        >

        > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
        > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
        > cunning of mind.

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
          I had the same thoughts when I read that. The reference was very
          limited in any detail. I agree that it seems more likely that some form
          of backstop was attached to the mast to prevent damage to the mast by
          the bolts. But, it would be realistic practice for shooting at small
          targets on an attacking ship from a ship that was also moving.

          It might be possible, but not reasonable, to stand the shooter on a see
          saw type arrangement and shoot at a coin attached to a swaying pole.
          But, I doubt that any of us could hit it under those conditions. ;-)

          Jon
          On Tuesday, December 6, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Lord Cain Saethydd wrote:

          > Shooting at the mast of another ship? Odd thing to do. If the ship
          > was friendly, why endanger the crew by weakening the mast? If it was
          > a capture, then why hinder it's ability to be taken to port for
          > reward? If it was sinking, then who would be there to tell them who
          > won?
          >
          > I like the premise of the shoot, but seriously doubt any captain
          > would allow that, much less a sober sailor.
          >
          > I have been thinking of this one for years, trying to fathom the
          > reality of it. More likely they shot at a coin on a backstop lashed
          > to the mast. If I were captain, it would be well away from any mast,
          > perhaps the side of the vessel. But alas, that is just my opinion.
          >
          > But all aside, I really like the idea of the shoot!
          >

          > Cain
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
            Well maybe...it is not uncommon to see pictures of both bows and crossbows
            with a spotter standing beside the target.

            James Cunningham
> [...]
            > times.
            > >
            > > The third round is the Wreath shoot. Your bolts must hit within
            > the
            > > wreath to score. One end of six bolts. Standard medieval shoot.
            > >
            > > The fourth round is a shoot off between the top scoring archers.
            > The
            > > one bolt closest to the center of the target wins. One end of
            > three
            > > bolts. The winner gets the bolts, in the target, of the losers.
            > > However, they may ransom them with their chocolate coins and the
            > winner
            > > must then return their bolts. This is also based on medieval
            > Italian
            > > practice in some cities.
            > >
            > > Jon
            > >

            > > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
            > > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
              True. But that is usually seen with archers and targets placed on
              solid ground. The right combination of waves and ship movement could
              make life interesting and short for the spotter standing next to the
              mast. . ;-)

              Jon