Hedeby Archery

  • Mark Hendershott
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
      A new translation of a paper on archery artifacts found at Hedeby is at
      www.vikingsna.org/translations/hedeby/%20bows? If I mistyped the URL
      there is a link at www.scatoday.net

      Simon Sinneghe
      Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
    • Scott B. Jaqua
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
        Mark Hendershott wrote:

        >A new translation of a paper on archery artifacts found at Hedeby is at
        >www.vikingsna.org/translations/hedeby/%20bows? If I mistyped the URL
        >there is a link at www.scatoday.net
        >
        >Simon Sinneghe
        >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

        http://www.vikingsna.org/translations/hedeby%20bows/ is the actual link.
        I couldn't find the link from SCA Today. But, a little back editing of
        the link you posted got me to the Vikings NA home page.

        Njall
      • Mark Hendershott
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 16, 2005
          At 09:51 PM 11/16/2005, you wrote:
          >Mark Hendershott wrote:
          >
          > >A new translation of a paper on archery artifacts found at Hedeby is at
          > >www.vikingsna.org/translations/hedeby/%20bows? If I mistyped the URL
          > >there is a link at www.scatoday.net
          > >
          > >Simon Sinneghe
          > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
          > >

          >http://www.vikingsna.org/translations/hedeby%20bows/ is the actual link.
          >I couldn't find the link from SCA Today. But, a little back editing of
          >the link you posted got me to the Vikings NA home page.
          >
          >Njall

          Proof I can't type accurately. One slash too many. The SCA today story is
          titled "'Arrows and Bows in Hedeby' discusses Viking archery".

          Simon
        • Robert Lauderdale
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
          • Cian of Storvik
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2005
              They sold for $51? Were those magical cedar shafts?
              But seriously, that wasn't much of a deal when you can buy 2 dozen
              Port Orfords for $44.
              -Cian
            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2005
                I'm often surprised at how much stuff sells for on Ebay.

                Chances are it was sold to someone local, who could pick them up, and it was
                cheaper to them than to pay shipping to 3rivers/kustomking ...

                Siegfried

                On 11/22/05, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...> wrote:

                > They sold for $51? Were those magical cedar shafts?
                > But seriously, that wasn't much of a deal when you can buy 2 dozen
                > Port Orfords for $44.
                > -Cian

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Scott B. Jaqua
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 2005
                  Well Monday night we went to the movies. It being a tradition of the
                  last few years for my Lady Wife and I to see the most recent films, the
                  Monday after they open ( a much nicer theater experience).

                  And there big as life was Mr Hardy, reviving his role as the minister of
                  magic in the latest Harry Potter film.

                  Funny thing is we were with a movie buff friend that is also in the SCA
                  (but not an archer). She knows who Robert Hardy is, but not his
                  connection to archery and medieval Arms and Armour research in general.

                  I recall the first time I saw Robert Hardy on Film. It was the BBC's
                  production of All Creatures Great and Small. So it would appear that Mr
                  Hardy has a literary bent in choosing the roles he plays.

                  I also recall finding The Longbow during our 1988 trip to London, and
                  the day trip down to see the Mary Rose. This was before Amazon and
                  before you could easily use the Internet to track down any book you
                  wanted. So we bought a case of the books from the Mary Rose Trust.
                  Brought them back to Caid and sold them at our cost (we were merchants
                  of other items at the time, but decided the to offer the books at cost
                  as a service). As I recall, a lot of local archers were happy to snap
                  those up. Oh! and also the Tower Armoury video featuring Robert Hardy too :)

                  An amazing man, successful actor and historical scholar. A worthy
                  example to many SCA folks. Never, ever be a one trick pony!

                  Njall
                • John Rossignol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 27, 2005
                    I remember Robert Hardy from long before that, when he co-starred as
                    Robert Dudley (the Earl of Leicester) in the marvelous 1971 mini-series
                    "Elizabeth R". In one scene, he even shoots a longbow.

                    John