Re: [SCA-Archery] IKCAC Survey

  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
      Personally, I consider the IKCAC a target competition...because it is.
      The target is a wooden man, and the bow is simply a different
      category from bow I use to fire into a paper target.

      I didn't shoot one this year becasue I failed to get up to Baron
      Alan's house to shoot one. He was off saving the world this year.
      All this time and I still don't own my own bow.

      I am not authorized in CA. Just never had the time to do it.

      For my own curiosity, I was asking the original question becasue the
      IKCAC always gets a low response of scores. I am trying a combat
      version of my TWIC contest, and I am trying to learn lessons from the
      archery side as to why it is rarely shot. Though, I am of the opinion
      that if even one score is submitted, it is worth it.

      So, there are three aspects to the IKCAC: The target, the bow, the armor.

      For the target, is it easy to construct? Is it durable? If the
      answer to these is "no", then a contest may not reach great success.
      If each of us had to draw out our own 5-color target to shoot a normal
      IKAC, would we?

      For the bow, it requires a different aiming strategy. Combat arrows
      can suffer from unpredictable flight pathes. They get bent, fletching
      moves...and where I can put 6 bolts from my target crossbow in the
      gold at 20 yards, the combat crossbow may vary a tad more.

      The armor seems to be the aspect that restricts the shooting the most.
      Is the effort of putting on armor worth the shooting of the contest?
      The IKCAC wants to simulate shooting in combat, so I can having armor
      as a requirement, with the gloves on and helm. So, I can understand
      this requirement.

      That is all for now, please keep the comments coming.

      --
      Lord Caedmon Wilson

      Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal

      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
      saxum immane mittam.
    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
        No one in my area has the IKCAC target built (well, I say "my area",
        when I could drive about an hour to Siegfrieds and shoot at his - I
        assume he has one). I'd really like to build an IKCAC, but have had
        too many other projects.
        Do we need a combat archery marshal to score IKCAC?
        That would keep us in the Storvik, Atlantia (Washington DC) Area from
        shooting it. We are currently trying to bolster target archery
        marshals, and I don't want to get into combat archery marshal #s.

        I really like the idea of a scored combat round. It would allow
        archers to gauge how their aim/speed with combat rounds is improving
        (a benefit that target archers get), and could increase their
        confidence on the field.
        Though I must agree with Siegfried that there are a lot of ends to be
        shot. Getting all geared up increases the set-up time. And turns a 30
        minute shoot into a 1 hour long shoot. (A royal round takes abotu 20
        minutes with a good number of archers <-I'm not a huge fan of the
        royal round, but one thing I like about it is that it's the perfect
        length of time). In my limited experience, lobbed shots are wasted
        arrows, so I see Siegfried's point there. Espec. when you consider
        that archers are often restricted from being in non-Rez battles. You
        tend to hold on to arrows rather then shoot blindly at "possible"
        targets or targets that are standing right next to the rez line.
        We are currently trying to field about a dozen combat archers locally,
        and are organizing a monthy practice 2nd sunday of each month
        <COU>shameless plug <UGH>, and I would like to bring out an IKCAC
        target to shoot at. The guys that want to come out and watch us would
        get a kick out of being able to have something to shoot at, instead of
        us offering to let them "lob a few arrows down range".
        Also, we wouldn't need to drag out a combat archery marshal to just
        take pot-shots at the IKAC target.
        You never know....let an on-looker shoot your combat bow a few times,
        and your field of 12 combat archers just might turn into 13. :)
        -Cian
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005

          > No one in my area has the IKCAC target built (well, I say "my area",
          > when I could drive about an hour to Siegfrieds and shoot at his - I
          > assume he has one).

          Yes, I do. Dealla has one also.

          Do we need a combat archery marshal to score IKCAC?

          At least in Atlantia, while I am Kingdom Target Archery Marshal. No. You are
          not shooting at a person; therefore, it is target archery.

          And I give a dispensation for the 'non target legal ammo' (not wood shafts
          and not field points) for the purpose of this competition.

          So a Target Archery Marshal can run it.

          However, it is the responsibility of said Target Archery Marshal, and the
          archers shooting, to ensrue that their equipment meets the requirements of
          the competition.

          This happens to be easier, if someone happens to be a Combat Archery Marshal
          ;) (PS. I'll be happy to give the CA Marshal class if ya wanna take it!)

          Though I must agree with Siegfried that there are a lot of ends to be
          > shot. Getting all geared up increases the set-up time. And turns a 30
          > minute shoot into a 1 hour long shoot.

          And in my experience, it's more like a 2 hour long shoot. Since only 1 maybe
          2 people can shoot it at a time, plus extra time gathering ammo (always seem
          to be in high grass when shooting).

          etc. It takes a while to run a few people through it as it is currently
          setup.

          (A royal round takes abotu 20
          > minutes with a good number of archers <-I'm not a huge fan of the
          > royal round, but one thing I like about it is that it's the perfect
          > length of time).

          I agree actually. RR is a nice length. It's one reason why at practices in
          my area we might run 4 RR's, but rarely an IKAC, and when it is an IKAC,
          it's just me usually :)

          Why? Cause we will decide to run a RR, then since it goes quick, run
          another. At that would we could run a IKAC, but most archers are wanting to
          do another RR because one of them got a really good score on one part and
          hey, look at that, they wanna try again. They are encouraged, I don't wanna
          stop 'em ;)

          Or in my case, I'll be counting it as an IKAC until I mess up one of the 2
          RR's, and decide never mind, and just shoot another RR.

          You never know....let an on-looker shoot your combat bow a few times,
          > and your field of 12 combat archers just might turn into 13. :)

          Agreed.

          Siegfried

        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005

            > For the target, is it easy to construct? Is it durable? If the
            > answer to these is "no", then a contest may not reach great success.

            If each of us had to draw out our own 5-color target to shoot a normal
            > IKAC, would we?

            Hrmmm, interesting point. Since I myself tend to use a regular RR target for
            shooting the Period IKAC, because I'm lazy. If I HAD to make the extra
            target, well, I'd still do it, but rarely. Mostly because I like the ability
            to shoot RR's and IKAC at the same time.

            So, for the IKAC target. It's 'easy enough' to construct, it's very durable
            (if made right) ...

            But you have a point, it takes a little effort to make one, but once you
            have it lasts.

            For the bow, it requires a different aiming strategy. Combat arrows
            > can suffer from unpredictable flight pathes. They get bent, fletching
            > moves...and where I can put 6 bolts from my target crossbow in the
            > gold at 20 yards, the combat crossbow may vary a tad more.

            Heh, at least with my combat bolts, they each seem to have their own life.

            The armor seems to be the aspect that restricts the shooting the most.
            > Is the effort of putting on armor worth the shooting of the contest?
            > The IKCAC wants to simulate shooting in combat, so I can having armor
            > as a requirement, with the gloves on and helm. So, I can understand
            > this requirement.

            Ahhh, except because the rules for SCA Archer Armor has escallated, and yet
            the IKCAC rules have stayed the same, and are written as a 'except for'
            standard ...

            The IKCAC now requires more armor:

            The IKCAC current requires: Knees, Elbows, Helm, Gloves, Shoes, Gorget

            I think it would be a different story if it only required a Helm & Gloves.

            Siegfried

          • Cian of Storvik
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
              >>>The IKCAC current requires: Knees, Elbows, Helm, Gloves, Shoes,
              Gorget. I think it would be a different story if it only required a
              Helm & Gloves.Siegfried

              I'll let someone borrow my helmet, my bow, my arrows, my gauntlets;
              but I'm drawing a line at lending out my nut armor.
              -Cian
            • Blackmoon
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                GREETINGS

                >Do realize that all I was stating was: Here is what I could see being done
                > and therefore making the IKCAC something that would be shot more. I didn't
                > say that it would make it a better shoot. But the fact remains that it is
                > not being shot, that often at all.

                TRUE, ( I JUST CHECKED POSTED SCORES )

                > IMO, part of the reason is that if I'm bothering to bring out my armor,
                and
                > my CA equipment, and get some others to do so as well, I'd rather shoot
                each
                > other, than at a target. I mean afterall, that's kinda the point.

                IN MY SECTION OF THE KINGDOM ( ANSTEORRA - NORTHERN ) THERE AREN'T MANY
                COMBAT ARCHERS , AND EVEN FEWER COMBAT MARSHALS , EVEN THOUGH THE
                AUTHORIZING MARSHAL FOR C.A. IN THE NORTH TRIES TO MAKE EVERY EVENT , AND
                WORKS WITH PEOPLE AT EVENTS THAT DON'T HAVE ANY MELEE COMBAT .

                B.T.W. , I'M NOT CERTIFIED AS A COMBAT ARCHER , OR C.A. MARSHAL AT THIS TIME
                .
                BUT I TRY TO TALK THE COMBAT ARCHERS INTO SHOWING UP AND PRACTICING AT
                DIFFERENT RANGES ( ONLY ONE EVER SHOWS UP ) , EVEN IF ONLY TO SHARPEN THEIR
                ACCURACY .
                BUT THE BARONIAL ARCHERY MARSHAL DOES HOLD REGULAR TARGET PRACTICES HERE
                I HAVE THE LUXURY OF HAVING THE SPACE IN MY BACK YARD TO KEEP AN IKCAC
                TARGET AND BOX, 2 SAUNDERS MAT BUTT STANDS , AND A COMPLETELY SEPARATE
                THROWN WEAPONS RANGE , STANDING AT ALL TIMES

                >As to some of your specific points:
                >
                > > NO ARMOR
                >
                > Correct, for the sole purpose that it makes it easier and more inviting to
                > get people to shoot it. I see one of the great potential uses of the
                IKCAC,
                > is getting people interested in CA. Requiring them to already have the
                armor
                > in the first place (or borrow ill-fitting armor), doesn't do that.

                A VERY VALID POINT , ONE I HADN'T THOUGHT OF .

                >> > NO STRESS
                >
                > No stress? Where was there stress in the first place? The only 'stress'
                that
                > would have existed, was in the speed rounds, which I've left in.

                THE STRESS FOR ME IS REMEMBERING TO SLOW DOWN .
                > Where was stress removed?

                I KNOW THE STOP WATCH IS RUNNING , AND HAVE TO FIGHT THE URGE TO SHOOT AS
                FAST AS I CAN , THEN STAND AROUND FOR THE LAST MIN. WITH 2 MIN. YOU HAVE ALL
                KINDS OF TIME ( 10 SECONDS PER ARROW ) AND EVEN THE SPEED IS NO RACE .
                OF COURSE THERE IS ALWAYS THE STRESS FROM EXPECTING THE COMBAT ARROW TO FLY
                RIGHT OFF OF A LITTLE 30 # BOW , WHEN YOUR USED TO SHOOTING 60 + #

                ~
                >And again, never once seen a Pavise in use, except when I tried mine, and
                > it's been in my shed ever since.

                THERE IS A HOUSE OF COMBAT ARCHERS DOWN SOUTH , THAT I'M TOLD USES PAVISES
                OFTEN , GREATLY INCREASING THEIR EFFECTIVE NESS IN CASTLE BATTLES .

                >> My thought was, make it more like a target tournament, and easier to
                shoot,
                > and more people will do so.

                MIGHT EVEN WORK .

                >> Again, I think it would still serve a good purpose, of getting people
                > interested and seeing how much fun CA can be, and still being a good
                > practice forum for getting used to your bow/ammo ... in a much more target
                > based environment.
                >
                > Siegfried

                WELL , I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT YOU HAVE SOME VERY VALID POINTS .
                AND I HOPE THAT WHATEVER THE FUTURE OF IKCAC HOLDS , THAT IT STAYS FUN .

                BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
                ARTHUR BLACKMOON

                PS. THANX FOR THE LINK

                > Hello Arthur ... no problems, and no irk'ing ... thanks for the feedback,
                > and I'll give a little of my own.
                >
                > Do realize that all I was stating was: Here is what I could see being done
                > and therefore making the IKCAC something that would be shot more. I didn't
                > say that it would make it a better shoot. But the fact remains that it is
                > not being shot, that often at all.
                >
                > IMO, part of the reason is that if I'm bothering to bring out my armor,
                and
                > my CA equipment, and get some others to do so as well, I'd rather shoot
                each
                > other, than at a target. I mean afterall, that's kinda the point.
                >
                > MILORD Siegfried SAID :
                > > >I am CC'ing the IKCAC mailing list
                > > FIRST . THERE'S AN IKCAC LIST ??
                >

                > Yes, SCA-IKCAC@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > It was started a while back when there was arguments about discussions
                about
                > the IKCAC, and whether they should be on the Archery list or the
                > MissileCombat list. So Lorenzo started an IKCAC mailing list just for
                > discussions about it.
                >
                > >A) Remove the need to wear armor
                > > > B) Remove the 2 minute time limit on 'slow rounds'
                > > > C) Remove the drop zone shoot
                > > > Third (Yes, 3rd), if the drop zone requirement is removed ... I think
                we
                > > could do away with spotters.
                > > > D) Remove the Pavise Round
                > >
                > > SECOND .
                > > OK, LETS SEE IF I GOT THIS RIGHT ??
                > > YOU WISH TO HAVE AN IKCAC , WITH NO ARMOR ? NO STRESS ? NO LONG RANGE (
                > > FIRE FOR EFFECT ) ? NO EXTRA EYES ON THE RANGE ?AND NO HIDE BE HIND THE
                > > OBSTACLE ??
                > >
                > > DOESN'T SOUND VERY MUCH LIKE ANY COMBAT ARCHERY I'VE EVER GOTTEN TO SEE
                .
                > > IF YOU REMOVE 75% OF A SHOOT , WHY NOT JUST MAKE A DIFFERENT SHOOT TO
                > > BEGIN
                > > WITH .
                >

                > I think I was proposing making it a different shoot.
                >
                > As to some of your specific points:
                >
                > > NO ARMOR
                >
                > Correct, for the sole purpose that it makes it easier and more inviting to
                > get people to shoot it. I see one of the great potential uses of the
                IKCAC,
                > is getting people interested in CA. Requiring them to already have the
                armor
                > in the first place (or borrow ill-fitting armor), doesn't do that.
                >
                > Now granted, this changes the 'nature' of the shoot. Since one of the
                > biggest differences between shooting in armor or not, is your helm, and
                > therefore changes to your anchor point and/or cheek point (crossbow).
                >
                > It's not a perfect solution. But it would get more people shooting it.
                Which

              • latorrej@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                  I will add a vote to Siegfried's concept for retooling the IKCAC. In the
                  West Kingdom, we usually only shoot at my target once or twice a year, if that
                  (none this year). Being able to set it up on a regular target range would be a
                  big advantage.

                  I would stick with the requirement for a helm and gloves, which I think are
                  the signficant impediments anyway. Once you learn to shoot with those, you're
                  most of the way to acquiring the skills needed for combat anyway (though you'd
                  still have a lot to learn about rules, safety and tactics).

                  As to the ranges, I agree with eliminating the pavise rounds and box scoring.
                  We might also want to think about divisions within the shoot. The obvious
                  one is shafted vs. tubular arrows. Shafted arrows could be shot at 40/30/20
                  yards, and tubular at 30/20/10 (reflecting, probably, the actual practice in the
                  field).

                  Handbows and crossbows could be separated, but I would prefer not to do that.
                  After all, we're shooting together on the field. With timed rounds at each
                  distance, I would be happy to compete against crossbows with my handbow.

                  I believe that, with these changes, and a couple more targets (Jon, Dauid, I
                  mean you), we could get dozens of scores from the West Kingdom - all of our
                  experienced combat archers and a lot of folks who are not combat authorized
                  (with some being enticed to become authorized). This would be a good outcome.

                  Seems to me that the competition will still take longer to shoot than a Royal
                  Round. Besides the extra speed rounds, you can't really have more than one
                  person shooting at at time (was it your arrow or mine that hit the heart?).
                  Still, it would go significantly faster than it does now.

                  I'm sure that there are other tweaks that would help us revitalize the IKCAC,
                  and hope to hear them.

                  Yours in service,
                  Joseph de la Tour
                  West Kingdom

                • Frederick Fenters
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                    I'm not exactly one of the people Caedmon is looking for, but I will
                    respond, anyway. I do not shoot IKCAC because I have given up my Heavy
                    Weapons Authorization. Health issues are the reason. Second, I find
                    shooting at only circles boring. I do not condemn those who like the easy
                    comparisons, just do not myself enjoy them.

                    I very seldom have a 60 cm target out at an event. Usually trying to do
                    something fun, challenging, and different. As an example, at Squires'
                    Revolt I had "Rats" climbing a rope as a target, the always popular
                    balloon pop, a 3D deer, turkey heads poking out of the brush, squirrels on a
                    tree limb, and a simulated tree stump.

                    Padraig MacRaighne

                  • Siegfried
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005

                      > As to the ranges, I agree with eliminating the pavise rounds and box
                      > scoring.
                      > We might also want to think about divisions within the shoot. The obvious
                      > one is shafted vs. tubular arrows. Shafted arrows could be shot at
                      > 40/30/20
                      > yards, and tubular at 30/20/10 (reflecting, probably, the actual practice
                      > in the
                      > field).

                      I dunno about that one. Given that I know 1000"# crossbows with siloflex
                      bolts that are deadly at 40yds.

                      And My shafted bolts still seem to want to wobble a bit and determine their
                      own course at that distance.

                      *shrug* I think for now, the idea would be to get it such that it is shot
                      more.

                      Later, when there are tons of scores in there and there is an obvious
                      breakdown, well, then make different divisions.

                    • Cian of Storvik
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                        You guys keep talking about shooting at round circles. I thought the
                        IKCAC target was a man shaped/sized target with head and chest target
                        points, as well as a drop zone target.
                        Are you just refering to the chest and head targets as circles?
                        -Cian
                      • Siegfried
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                          At least if I said circles, then that's what I meant. The 'heart' section of
                          an IKCAC target is a 'floppy' circle.

                          The face is a floppy square..

                          Siegfried

                          On 11/15/05, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...> wrote:

                          > You guys keep talking about shooting at round circles. I thought the
                          > IKCAC target was a man shaped/sized target with head and chest target
                          > points, as well as a drop zone target.
                          > Are you just refering to the chest and head targets as circles?
                          > -Cian

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Cian of Storvik
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                            Okay! Several times, references were made to L. Caedmon's enquiry
                            about the lack of IKCAC turnout that confused me. First it was that
                            someone said, if we remove the pavise and the drop-zone target then
                            you're basically running the IKAC. Then someone mentioned having
                            the "period concentric circle target" made was an issue. Then someone
                            just said that they don't often bring 60 cm targets to their shoots.
                            Oh and also, someone said something about getting all geared up and
                            needing several people (marshal and marker) to shoot at "the circles".
                            Perhaps there are 2 different discussions going on here under the
                            heading IKCAC survey, and I just was getting them muddled.
                            -Cian
                          • John edgerton
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                              I could see requiring just helm and hand protection. Those are the two
                              main pieces of gear that make a difference between combat shooting and
                              target shooting.

                              As to the pavise. You do not need a regular pavise. The rules allow
                              the use of two four foot tall sticks to represent it.

                              Time can be saved on setting up the box around the target by
                              permanently attaching the four stakes to the string. Then no measuring
                              is required.

                              The drop zone was needed when the max range was fifty yards. This
                              evened out the difference between shafted and golf tube arrows. The
                              shafted were more accurate and could usually hit the target. But, if
                              they missed they would tend to land outside of the box. The golf tubes
                              handbow arrows were less apt to hit the target. But, would have more
                              of a chance of dropping into the box. At forty yard as is now used, I
                              think the golf tubes may land outside the box more often.

                              The IKCAC was set up to test combat archery skills using a target style
                              competition. Change it too much and it no longer tests combat archery
                              skills.

                              All this is quite interesting. But, unless Andre wants to make some
                              changes. It is all moot.

                              Jon
                            • latorrej@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                                In a message dated 11/15/2005 7:21:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                SiegfriedFaust@... writes:
                                I dunno about that one. Given that I know 1000"# crossbows with siloflex
                                bolts that are deadly at 40yds.
                                OK by me. I would like to see the shafted arrows shot at 20/30/40, and am
                                fine with whatever the tubular shooters prefer. If it's the same distances,
                                there need not be two divisions..

                                Joseph de la Tour

                              • Siegfried
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                                  I prefer seeing the 10yd stay in, personally.

                                  As it more accurately reflects typical battlefield situations in any static
                                  line battle. And really test the 'how often can you hit the face/chest'
                                  part.

                                  Siegfried

                                  On 11/16/05, latorrej@... <latorrej@...> wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 11/15/2005 7:21:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  > SiegfriedFaust@... writes:
                                  > I dunno about that one. Given that I know 1000"# crossbows with siloflex
                                  > bolts that are deadly at 40yds.
                                  > OK by me. I would like to see the shafted arrows shot at 20/30/40, and am
                                  > fine with whatever the tubular shooters prefer. If it's the same
                                  > distances,
                                  > there need not be two divisions..
                                  >
                                  > Joseph de la Tour

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Siegfried
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005

                                    > As to the pavise. You do not need a regular pavise. The rules allow
                                    > the use of two four foot tall sticks to represent it.

                                    Yup, understood. But just noting that's still something else that needs
                                    setup. Also, I've never really liked that concept, 100%. Just because it
                                    changes the shoot. You get an advantage by using the 2 sticks, as you can
                                    focus on the target, aim, then just lean or stand enough to shoot around the
                                    stick and release.

                                    If using a real pavise, you can't see well enough to specifically aim, until
                                    you are already around the side.

                                    *shrug*

                                    Time can be saved on setting up the box around the target by
                                    > permanently attaching the four stakes to the string. Then no measuring
                                    > is required.

                                    Actually, that's a good point. Though to really make it work well, you would
                                    also need to attach at least one diagonal as well, to ensure that it stays
                                    square. I hadn't thought of that.

                                    The IKCAC was set up to test combat archery skills using a target style
                                    > competition. Change it too much and it no longer tests combat archery
                                    > skills.

                                    I dunno, depends on your POV. And I guess that was part of my original
                                    point. At least in my experience ... 90% of CA skills is shooting from 20ft
                                    - 15yds, at a specific person, while standing in/behind a line of fighters.

                                    The pavise end is not within 90%, the flight end/drop zone, is not within
                                    90%.

                                    Your local CA mileage may vary.

                                    Siegfried

                                  • jameswolfden
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                                      Couldn't the pavise be represented with the two sticks and cloth (canvas or
                                      burlap or ...) between them. Easier to transport and handles the visibility
                                      issues.

                                      James
                                      (who has never actually shot an IKCAC)

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@g...>