Backstops for crossbows

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2005
      I can recommend about 6 layers of corrugated cardboard (box stock) placed in
      front of the bales and behind the target face. This has the advantage of
      generally being free. Tape two edges together with duct tape wrapped around
      for a fairly neat bundle.

      Other things that can be used: the insulation foam already mentioned, gunny
      sacks packed tightly and full of shrink wrap or used plastic grocery bags
      (lots of places will give you the shrink wrap for hauling it away and
      promising it will not wind up back in their dumpster), commercial targets
      from sporting goods stores that are rated for broadhead use, there are some
      foam targets that are about 2 feet by 18 inches or so that work quite well,
      too. I have used all of these at one time or another.

      Up here in Michigan, there is a place that gets odd lots of an expanded foam
      insulation product in all manner of colors in sheets about 4 inches thick
      and about 4 foot square. The last time I bought any, it cost about $25 per
      panel. They sell it to people to use as floats in swimming areas.

      You already know that a good tight Saunders mat will stop just about
      anything.

      That's about all I can think of, off hand.

      Padraig