Comemorateing the first bow....

  • Rj Bachner
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
      heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
      folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
      organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
      made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many folks
      would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.

      this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
      to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If you
      are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to ya.
      no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some will
      and maybe thats all we need.

      Ragi

      RJ Bachner
      ragi@...

      www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
        Interesting idea. Please keep us up to date on developments.

        Jon
        On Friday, November 11, 2005, at 06:41 PM, Rj Bachner wrote:

        > heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by
        > many
        > folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
        > organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind
        > purposely
        > made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many
        > folks
        > would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
        >
        > this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would
        > like
        > to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness.
        > If you
        > are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power
        > to ya.
        > no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some
        > will
        > and maybe thats all we need.
        >

        > Ragi
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
          Might I suggest if you are going to do this, to stick to an already
          established one?

          St. Sebastian, the Patron Saint of Archers ... Who's feast is celebrated on
          the 20th of January.

          Siegfried

          On 11/11/05, Rj Bachner <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:

          > heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
          > folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
          > organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
          > made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many
          > folks
          > would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
          >
          > this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
          > to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If
          > you
          > are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to
          > ya.
          > no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some
          > will
          > and maybe thats all we need.
          >

          > Ragi
          >
          > RJ Bachner
          > ragi@...
          >
          > www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca <http://www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kaleyna
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
            >>>St. Sebastian, the Patron Saint of Archers ... Who's feast is celebrated
            on the 20th of January.>>

            The day before my birthday! :)

            Kathy
          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
              Sounds like a plan. Just find the most ancient God associated with the
              bow, probably some Babylonian, for whom a holy day is still known, and set
              it approximately on that day.

              This brings up a question, what ancient Gods and Goddesses were associated
              with bows? Hurn. Cupid. I can't think of any others at the moment. Who
              was that Goddess who shot Acteon?

              Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

              > At 09:41 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
              >heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
              >folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
              >organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
              >made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many folks
              >would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
              >
              >this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
              >to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If you
              >are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to ya.
              >no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some will
              >and maybe thats all we need.
              >

              >Ragi
              >
              >RJ Bachner
              >ragi@...
              >
              >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Kaleyna
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
                Diana/Artemis was a goddess of the hunt. She is often picture with a bow and
                arrow.

                Kathy
              • Brian du Val
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 11, 2005
                  apollo
                  > Sounds like a plan. Just find the most ancient God associated with the
                  > bow, probably some Babylonian, for whom a holy day is still known, and set
                  > it approximately on that day.
                  > >
                  > This brings up a question, what ancient Gods and Goddesses were associated
                  > with bows? Hurn. Cupid. I can't think of any others at the moment. Who
                  > was that Goddess who shot Acteon?
                  > >
                  > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                  > >

                  > > At 09:41 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
                  >>heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
                  >>folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
                  >>organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
                  >>made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many
                  >>folks
                  >>would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
                  >>
                  >>this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
                  >>to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If
                  >>you
                  >>are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to
                  >>ya.
                  >>no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some
                  >>will
                  >>and maybe thats all we need.
                  >>

                  >>Ragi
                  >>
                  >>RJ Bachner
                  >>ragi@...
                  >>
                  >>www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

                  >>---8<---------------------------------------------
                  >>Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
                  >>Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

                  >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >>This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Not sure if it qualifies as a diety but certainly mythological -
                    Chiron, the Centaur who was said to had become the constellation
                    Sagittarius, the Archer. But, like most pre medieval figures doesn't
                    have an identifiable date association.
                    Carolus

                    At 08:04 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:

                    >Sounds like a plan. Just find the most ancient God associated with the
                    >bow, probably some Babylonian, for whom a holy day is still known, and set
                    >it approximately on that day.
                    > >
                    >This brings up a question, what ancient Gods and Goddesses were associated
                    >with bows? Hurn. Cupid. I can't think of any others at the moment. Who
                    >was that Goddess who shot Acteon?
                    > >
                    >Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                    > >

                    > > At 09:41 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
                    > >heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
                    > >folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
                    > >organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
                    > >made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many folks
                    > >would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
                    > >
                    > >this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
                    > >to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If you
                    > >are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to ya.
                    > >no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some will
                    > >and maybe thats all we need.
                    > >

                    > >Ragi
                    > >
                    > >RJ Bachner
                    > >ragi@...
                    > >
                    > >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > >This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    >--
                  • Robert Lauderdale
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                      At 07:31 PM 11/11/05 -0800, you wrote:
                      >on the 20th of January.>>
                      >
                      >The day before my birthday! :)
                      >
                      >Kathy

                      And the day after mine.

                      Chidiock
                    • Robert Lauderdale
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                        Googling for ancient archery dieties, I came across the following howler on
                        a site about Egypt for kids:

                        " Although the simple bow had been used from very early pre-dynastic times,
                        the compound bow is believed to have been brought into Egypt by the Hyksos
                        as there has been none found from before that era."

                        Undoubtedly that's Joe and Paul Hyksos, deer hunters from southern Missouri :-)

                        Chidiock
                      • Siegfried
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                          Diana (or Artemis), Goddess of the Hunt, always depicted with bow and
                          arrows.

                          She was worshipped at a festival on August 13.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(goddess)

                          On 11/12/05, Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

                          > Not sure if it qualifies as a diety but certainly mythological -
                          > Chiron, the Centaur who was said to had become the constellation
                          > Sagittarius, the Archer. But, like most pre medieval figures doesn't
                          > have an identifiable date association.
                          > Carolus
                          >
                          > At 08:04 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
                          >
                          > >Sounds like a plan. Just find the most ancient God associated with the
                          > >bow, probably some Babylonian, for whom a holy day is still known, and
                          > set
                          > >it approximately on that day.
                          > > >
                          > >This brings up a question, what ancient Gods and Goddesses were
                          > associated
                          > >with bows? Hurn. Cupid. I can't think of any others at the moment. Who
                          > >was that Goddess who shot Acteon?
                          > > >
                          > >Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                          > > >

                          > > > At 09:41 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
                          > > >heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by
                          > many
                          > > >folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
                          > > >organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind
                          > purposely
                          > > >made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many
                          > folks
                          > > >would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
                          > > >
                          > > >this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would
                          > like
                          > > >to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If
                          > you
                          > > >are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to
                          > ya.
                          > > >no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some
                          > will
                          > > >and maybe thats all we need.
                          > > >

                          > > >Ragi
                          > > >
                          > > >RJ Bachner
                          > > >ragi@...
                          > > >
                          > > >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca <http://www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca>

                          > > >---8<---------------------------------------------
                          > > >Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
                          > > >Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

                          > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > > >

                          > > >_____________________________________________________
                          > > >This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

                          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > >--

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Rj Bachner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                            Well To be honest this has little to do with medieval times, The folks who
                            are doing this are more intererested in a much earlier time and feel. They
                            are primitivists after all. Howevere I also let them in on your suggestions.

                            http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm13.showMessage?topicID=1946.topi
                            c this is the link to the discussion and for those interested in it,
                            paleoplanet is a huge resource for making of wood bows and arrows and almost
                            anything else primitive.

                            I realise this is a medieval list but I am sure there are some here who can
                            appreciate it

                            Ragi

                            Might I suggest if you are going to do this, to stick to an already
                            established one?

                            St. Sebastian, the Patron Saint of Archers ... Who's feast is celebrated on
                            the 20th of January.

                            Siegfried

                            On 11/11/05, Rj Bachner <ragiwarmbear@...> wrote:

                            > heya, this is to all the archers, an idea. It has been suggested by many
                            > folks in the primitive archery field that a private holiday as such be
                            > organised to comemeorate the creation of the first bow mankind purposely
                            > made. Now we dont know when and where it happened or buy whom but many
                            > folks
                            > would like to see a day to celebrate it's creation anyways.
                            >
                            > this idea is just in the preplanning stages at this point but I would like
                            > to know if anyone locally would like to join in this bit of madness. If
                            > you
                            > are not local but would enjoy participateing anyways then more power to
                            > ya.
                            > no doubt most people wont understand what we are doing or why but some
                            > will
                            > and maybe thats all we need.
                            >

                            > Ragi
                            >
                            > RJ Bachner
                            > ragi@...
                            >
                            > www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca <http://www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca>

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • James Koch
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                              >Diana (or Artemis), Goddess of the Hunt, always depicted with bow and
                              >arrows.
                              >
                              >She was worshipped at a festival on August 13.
                              August 13th. Pennsic! Didn't I once read one of those ancient creation
                              myths associated with the bow. You know, Promethius steals fire from the
                              gods and gives it to man. That sort of thing. It would have been a god or
                              hero who supposedly made the first bow. Let's think Egypt and Mesopotamia.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                                I remember some reference to Nergal a Mesopotamian god also dealing
                                with archery. However, he was not a very nice guy.

                                Jon
                                On Saturday, November 12, 2005, at 12:37 PM, James Koch wrote:

                                >> Diana (or Artemis), Goddess of the Hunt, always depicted with bow and
                                >> arrows.
                                >>
                                >> She was worshipped at a festival on August 13.
                                > August 13th. Pennsic! Didn't I once read one of those ancient
                                > creation
                                > myths associated with the bow. You know, Promethius steals fire from
                                > the
                                > gods and gives it to man. That sort of thing. It would have been a
                                > god or
                                > hero who supposedly made the first bow. Let's think Egypt and
                                > Mesopotamia.
                                >>
                                > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                              • Al T
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 12, 2005
                                  Probably a little out of the way, but here goes anyway.
                                  In China, the first archer was called Ih the Excellent Archer.
                                  According to legend, ten suns would share the sky, one for each hour
                                  of the day. One day they all gathered together and started to burn
                                  the Earth. Ih used his very strong bow and enchanted arrows to shoot
                                  nine of the suns out of the sky. Sorry, but I don't know a date on
                                  this tale.
                                  Biblically, there was Esau in Genesis 27:3-4. God also is an archer
                                  and sets His bow in the clouds after the flood in Genesis 9:13-14.
                                  Hope this helps...
                                  -Allan Bluehood-

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>