Re: [SCA-Archery] Period name

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
      More importantly, is there a period where a persona can wear pants
      (or trous, braighs, breeks, breeches, etc)? Yes, most cultures had a
      form of pants at some time. Or you can choose a period with long
      tunics. Or, look at period hosen. They were really rather loose
      fitting over garments much like a cloth version of chain mail
      chausses. They are much more like the rather close fitting pants of
      the mid '60's in London. and are often made in separate legs like
      chaps and worn over tight fitting shorts. You really need to get
      together with your local costumers and do some research.
      Carolus
      from Caid where the kingdom motto is "Welcome to Caid, Now Get Dressed"

      At 07:16 AM 11/9/2005, you wrote:

      >I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.
      >
      >Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
      >period when a persona can where pants? I'll be the
      >first to admit that I don't make hose look good.
      >
      >Jon
      >

      >--- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
      > >
      > > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
      > > Military History"
      > > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
      > > names of English
      > > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
      > > War. You can
      > > find first and last names you like from real
      > > medieval archers!
      > >
      > > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
      > > don't mind
      > > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
      > >
      > > Peregrine Fairchylde
      > >

      > > __________________________________
      > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
      > >
      > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
      > > Medieval Mart
      > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

      > > leave this list]
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      >__________________________________
      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >--
    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
        Go viking or anglo-saxon, and you can wear some checkered pajama
        bottoms.
        Email me directly if you want details on chausses, hosen and braes.
        You do NOT want to wear spandex/lycra/elastic tights like Flynn in
        robin hood! Those are definately not period, and if you do want to
        wear hose/chausses, most periods in Europe have some long body cover
        that extended over the nether regions so you're safe.

        If you wear a large enough tunic/surcoat/tabbard/cote, you can wear
        some jeans or a pair of mundane shorts.

        As far as names, there are a ton of name lists on the web which not
        only list period/ancient names by region/language, but also give their
        meaning in translation.
        -Cian