Re: [SCA-Archery] Period name

  • Jon H
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
      I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.

      Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
      period when a persona can where pants? I’ll be the
      first to admit that I don’t make hose look good.

      Jon

      --- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:

      > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
      >
      > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
      > Military History"
      > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
      > names of English
      > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
      > War. You can
      > find first and last names you like from real
      > medieval archers!
      >
      > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
      > don't mind
      > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
      >
      > Peregrine Fairchylde
      >

      > __________________________________
      >
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
      > Medieval Mart
      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.medievalmart.com/

      > leave this list]
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
        Most of them ...

        Let's see, I'd say most everything from Roman times, until 16th Century ...

        Yup, that covers about most of it.

        Except for a few very specific times, and locations, where hose was in.

        Pants, especially baggy pants, were quite period for quite a long time. Even
        into late period, though at that point they started getting poofier and
        cut/slashed.

        Siegfried

        On 11/9/05, Jon H <ziggy2c@...> wrote:

        > I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.
        >
        > Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
        > period when a persona can where pants? I'll be the
        > first to admit that I don't make hose look good.
        >
        > Jon
        >

        > --- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:
        >
        > > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
        > >
        > > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
        > > Military History"
        > > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
        > > names of English
        > > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
        > > War. You can
        > > find first and last names you like from real
        > > medieval archers!
        > >
        > > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
        > > don't mind
        > > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
        > >
        > > Peregrine Fairchylde
        > >

        > > __________________________________
        > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
        > >
        > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
        > > Medieval Mart
        > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > > leave this list]
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > __________________________________
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
          More importantly, is there a period where a persona can wear pants
          (or trous, braighs, breeks, breeches, etc)? Yes, most cultures had a
          form of pants at some time. Or you can choose a period with long
          tunics. Or, look at period hosen. They were really rather loose
          fitting over garments much like a cloth version of chain mail
          chausses. They are much more like the rather close fitting pants of
          the mid '60's in London. and are often made in separate legs like
          chaps and worn over tight fitting shorts. You really need to get
          together with your local costumers and do some research.
          Carolus
          from Caid where the kingdom motto is "Welcome to Caid, Now Get Dressed"

          At 07:16 AM 11/9/2005, you wrote:

          >I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.
          >
          >Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
          >period when a persona can where pants? I'll be the
          >first to admit that I don't make hose look good.
          >
          >Jon
          >

          >--- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
          > >
          > > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
          > > Military History"
          > > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
          > > names of English
          > > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
          > > War. You can
          > > find first and last names you like from real
          > > medieval archers!
          > >
          > > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
          > > don't mind
          > > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
          > >
          > > Peregrine Fairchylde
          > >

          > > __________________________________
          > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
          > >
          > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
          > > Medieval Mart
          > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
          > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

          > > leave this list]
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          >__________________________________
          >http://mail.yahoo.com

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >--
        • Cian of Storvik
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
            Go viking or anglo-saxon, and you can wear some checkered pajama
            bottoms.
            Email me directly if you want details on chausses, hosen and braes.
            You do NOT want to wear spandex/lycra/elastic tights like Flynn in
            robin hood! Those are definately not period, and if you do want to
            wear hose/chausses, most periods in Europe have some long body cover
            that extended over the nether regions so you're safe.

            If you wear a large enough tunic/surcoat/tabbard/cote, you can wear
            some jeans or a pair of mundane shorts.

            As far as names, there are a ton of name lists on the web which not
            only list period/ancient names by region/language, but also give their
            meaning in translation.
            -Cian