Period name

  • Eric Francis
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2005
      > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)

      Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and Military History"
      by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists names of English
      archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years War. You can
      find first and last names you like from real medieval archers!

      Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you don't mind
      sharing mundane and SCA appelations....

      Peregrine Fairchylde

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Jon H
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
        I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.

        Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
        period when a persona can where pants? I’ll be the
        first to admit that I don’t make hose look good.

        Jon

        --- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:

        > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
        >
        > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
        > Military History"
        > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
        > names of English
        > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
        > War. You can
        > find first and last names you like from real
        > medieval archers!
        >
        > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
        > don't mind
        > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
        >
        > Peregrine Fairchylde
        >

        > __________________________________
        >
        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
        > Medieval Mart
        > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > leave this list]
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
          Most of them ...

          Let's see, I'd say most everything from Roman times, until 16th Century ...

          Yup, that covers about most of it.

          Except for a few very specific times, and locations, where hose was in.

          Pants, especially baggy pants, were quite period for quite a long time. Even
          into late period, though at that point they started getting poofier and
          cut/slashed.

          Siegfried

          On 11/9/05, Jon H <ziggy2c@...> wrote:

          > I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.
          >
          > Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
          > period when a persona can where pants? I'll be the
          > first to admit that I don't make hose look good.
          >
          > Jon
          >

          > --- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
          > >
          > > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
          > > Military History"
          > > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
          > > names of English
          > > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
          > > War. You can
          > > find first and last names you like from real
          > > medieval archers!
          > >
          > > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
          > > don't mind
          > > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
          > >
          > > Peregrine Fairchylde
          > >

          > > __________________________________
          > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
          > >
          > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
          > > Medieval Mart
          > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
          > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

          > > leave this list]
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > __________________________________
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
            More importantly, is there a period where a persona can wear pants
            (or trous, braighs, breeks, breeches, etc)? Yes, most cultures had a
            form of pants at some time. Or you can choose a period with long
            tunics. Or, look at period hosen. They were really rather loose
            fitting over garments much like a cloth version of chain mail
            chausses. They are much more like the rather close fitting pants of
            the mid '60's in London. and are often made in separate legs like
            chaps and worn over tight fitting shorts. You really need to get
            together with your local costumers and do some research.
            Carolus
            from Caid where the kingdom motto is "Welcome to Caid, Now Get Dressed"

            At 07:16 AM 11/9/2005, you wrote:

            >I have my copy on its way. Thanks for the hint.
            >
            >Now for the dumb question from the new guy, is there a
            >period when a persona can where pants? I'll be the
            >first to admit that I don't make hose look good.
            >
            >Jon
            >

            >--- Eric Francis <squirrelhenge@...> wrote:
            >
            > > > Jon ( I really need an SCA name)
            > >
            > > Get your hands on a copy of "Longbow: A Social and
            > > Military History"
            > > by Robert Hardy. Several places in there he lists
            > > names of English
            > > archers from rolls provided during the Hundred Years
            > > War. You can
            > > find first and last names you like from real
            > > medieval archers!
            > >
            > > Of course, John is a perfectly period name, if you
            > > don't mind
            > > sharing mundane and SCA appelations....
            > >
            > > Peregrine Fairchylde
            > >

            > > __________________________________
            > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
            > >
            > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
            > > Medieval Mart
            > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
            > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

            > > leave this list]
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            >__________________________________
            >http://mail.yahoo.com

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >--
          • Cian of Storvik
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
              Go viking or anglo-saxon, and you can wear some checkered pajama
              bottoms.
              Email me directly if you want details on chausses, hosen and braes.
              You do NOT want to wear spandex/lycra/elastic tights like Flynn in
              robin hood! Those are definately not period, and if you do want to
              wear hose/chausses, most periods in Europe have some long body cover
              that extended over the nether regions so you're safe.

              If you wear a large enough tunic/surcoat/tabbard/cote, you can wear
              some jeans or a pair of mundane shorts.

              As far as names, there are a ton of name lists on the web which not
              only list period/ancient names by region/language, but also give their
              meaning in translation.
              -Cian