Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Can you shoot well enough?

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
      There comes a point, however, even if you can't actually see the
      difference in performance, that it is still worth it to have the best
      possible equipment. This game we play has a very important mental
      aspect. I helps to know that your equipment is performing if possible
      better then you possibly can. Confidence in your gear, will translate in
      more overall confidence. That will allow you to shoot the best you can
      on any given day. It will let you know that any variance in performance
      is in fact in you. And it will help you recover from problem shots
      better (no worry that you have to keep track and check that arrow later).

      There is also the aging athlete factor. A book I saw speaks of aging in
      sports. One of the things it suggests is that you have a deep wallet
      then your younger competition. So use that to partially offset their
      youth. Buy the best equipment you can, or buy the tools to make and
      maintain the best equipment you can. I won't say that works for
      everyone. But I have to believe on average it's true.

      Njall
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
        Nest,

        I also wonder how much changes in humidity and temperature effect our
        shafts from day to day. My guess is they absorb and lose water at
        different rates and may also warp a bit as a consequence. I agree with
        Siegfried regarding crossbow bolts. This year for the first time I weighed
        all of my bolts on a lab scale. I then divided them into four distinct
        groups depending on their weights. On the butt end of each shaft I placed
        no mark on the lightest, one mark on the next lightest, two on the heavier
        shafts and three on the heaviest. When I shoot I select one group or the
        other. Sometimes when necessary I'll include a shaft from a close weight
        bunch but I won't for example combine a no mark with a three mark or even a
        one and three. When shooting Royal Rounds I got no real point advantage at
        40 yards where I should have expected to see it. I did get my scores up a
        bit but that was by working on my speed.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

        >At 12:47 PM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
        >i don't see that much of a difference between shafts that close. Then
        >again when I make a set of arrows I always shoot them all a couple times.
        >there always seems to be a couple in the set which don't want to group
        >with the others anyway. Even when they match beautifully. I put that down
        >to some sort of grain anamoly in the wood, or maybe an odd feather. So if
        >there are unknowns involved that make those erratic arrows, the natural
        >varients between shafts is going to swallow up a grain difference that
        >little.
        >
        >Nest
        >
        >--- dauid_morgant_dinefwr <dunvegann@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hello to the list,
        > >
        > > I shoot a 45# recurve---up to 65 yards I have found no difference in
        > > grouping with a 10 grain variance. As mentioned in other posts, at 20-
        > > 25 grain +/- I notice a 3-4" spread variance at 40 yards--none below
        > > 30yds. In addition, past 65 yards I've notice a considerable impact
        > > created by fletching size and grain variation.
        > >
        > > Example, at 80 yards an arrow with +20 grains and 5.5" fletch will
        > > drop as much as 24 inches when compared to a 20 grain lighter arrow
        > > with 4" fletching.
        > >
        > > I wouldn't think a 2.5 grain +/- seems a bit unnecessary.
        > >
        > > Dauid
        > >

        > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rj Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@s...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Now how can a 10 grain diff make such a difference? That's a full
        > > 12 inches
        > > > or more between gold and outside. Maybe a longer ranges but at 40
        > > yards?
        > > >
        > > > Ragi

      • Robert Lauderdale
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
          Just saw this on Ebay--42 cedar arrows in various stages of
          completion from an estate sale. Current bid is $15.50. Might be woth a
          look to those who can finish them up. Ebay Item number: 7193062027

          Chidiock