Re: [SCA-Archery] hunting with longbow

  • Dan Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hello I bore hunt all the time that is my one true love.
      I use a long bow for almost everything. Don't like the aggravation of a compound. But here is the kicker. You need at least a 50lb bow for hogg. I shoot a 60 and then I hit them close. I also have a 44mag on hip and a dog next to me. Hogg hunting is pure no if and or buts fun but its also very dangerous. Not making fun or putting down your hunting ability but with a hogg the game changes. think hunting tigers. When he she gets hit there is a 50/50 chance they will attack. You must have an escape route. No don't stand and fight. Unless you carry maw bell like I do.
      Next your talking Texas Javalina the problem compounds by 10 I love hunting the little bastards but they are dangerous. They will kill you.
      arrow for hogg I shoot 150 grain with four cutting heads.
      Try and find someone who has hogg hunted before to go out with you the first few times or do it with a gun at first.
      Last remember you dont shoot a long shot at hogs 20/25yrds is a good shot so you dont worry much about speed you want hit power and you want shock.
      Dan Martin
      blackwaterincorp
      Buddy in Oklahoma
      even though you beat my cowboys

      "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
      Remember what ever you find out make sure it matches the mundain requriments
      for size of broad head and poundage on bow or what ever else they come up
      with.

      James Cunningham
      Former Texas dove shooter

      > Greetings fellow archers!
      > I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
      > in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
      > if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
      > arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
      > century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
      > me where I may look.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links