Building arrows

  • jon
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
      After messing up my last attempt at building arrows I thought I'd get
      some advice for this next batch. I'm building arrows for my 30# bow
      with 5/16 shafts spine to 30#. Is there a "rule of thumb" for
      deciding on what grain of points to use?
    • Scott B. Jaqua
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
        jon wrote:

        >After messing up my last attempt at building arrows I thought I'd get
        >some advice for this next batch. I'm building arrows for my 30# bow
        >with 5/16 shafts spine to 30#. Is there a "rule of thumb" for
        >deciding on what grain of points to use?

        Depends on your knocks and the fletching. The only rule of thumb I know
        has to do with the balance point. The arrow should balance 9% of the
        total length of the arrow, in front of the center point (plus or minus
        1%). So prepare a shaft by dipping and cresting it as you plan to. Then
        fletch it up without a point. Then try several arrowheads on with a
        press fit and check the balance point. For a 30" arrow, you are looking
        at 2.7" or so, in front of the center point (figure a little less to
        allow for you point glue, but not much!). Find the arrowhead weight that
        gives you that balance point and you should be set.

        Njall
      • Rj Bachner
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
          Well the FOC as was mentioned is one important issue but as well there is
          what is known as "effective spine" to consider, the heavier the point the
          lower your effective spine will be. Most of the time I design arrows to work
          well with a 100 grain arrowhead. If they play stiff I try a 125. if I have
          to adjust more than that I have not done my job right.

          Effective spine is basically how the spine of the arrow actually works off
          the bow, regardless of the actual spine of the shaft. It takes into
          account:
          arrow length, draw weight, point weight, actual spine, arrow mass, how
          centererd the shelf is to the cl of the bow, all the other force vectors
          that that incures etc.

          What you need to do is to first know your draw length, the weight of the
          draw at your draw length, the kind of bow( recurve, longbow, centershot or
          not) all this tells you something and makes the arrows behave differently.

          Most of the time I don't spine an arrow at the weight of the bow. Wont work
          well. So come back at me with these questions ansered and I can get you
          about right on with the spine of arrows and point weight. It is what I do
          for a living so ask away.

          Ragi

          www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

          After messing up my last attempt at building arrows I thought I'd get
          some advice for this next batch. I'm building arrows for my 30# bow
          with 5/16 shafts spine to 30#. Is there a "rule of thumb" for
          deciding on what grain of points to use?
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
            What Kind of 30# bow. It does make a difference! Like on a "D" section
            English longbow you need a lot more feather to make it work better.

            The rule of thumb is enough to make the arrow ballanced XX% tip heavy its
            35-38% for bolts... I cannot remember what the balance is for arrows but it
            is a little less.

            James Cunningham
            > After messing up my last attempt at building arrows I thought I'd get
            > some advice for this next batch. I'm building arrows for my 30# bow
            > with 5/16 shafts spine to 30#. Is there a "rule of thumb" for
            > deciding on what grain of points to use?

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
              Building arrows

              You forgot and "shoots well" The final test is at the butts!!