hunting with longbow

  • albrechtvonstarke
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2005
      Greetings fellow archers!
      I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
      in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
      if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
      arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
      century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
      me where I may look.
    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
        My brother hunts with an 84# Recurve. I think you need to have a heavy draw
        for the punch. But be careful Dave's recurve shoots though moose at 30
        yards. As for arrow head I don't have a clue
        Damales
        /
        Greetings fellow archers!
        I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
        in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
        if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
        arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
        century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
        me where I may look.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jeffrey Webb
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
          Greetings,
          I hunt with longbow. I hunt with a very heavy draw yew D-sectioned-horn nocked-working through the grip- longbow sometimes.
          Check your state and local game regulations first to see what they require. They are different from area to area. In many places, hunting in the truly medieval manner is not allowed (no beating the woods for example).Where I hunt there is a law against barbed arrow heads and the broadhead must beat least a certain width.
          The most important thing is the weight of the arrow, the sharpness of the head and having enough thrust to get it there.
          Bow weight is only important to a certain degree, how a bow performs is more important. "Most" of my bow hunting is done with a custom bow that I had made,
          it is wood fiberglass laminated, it is 70" long has no shelf, has horn nocks, it's reflex/deflex but comes to a full arc when strung and appears to be a deflex. It also appears to be a D-section but it is not. It is made for fast-flite string and draws at 74# @ 28". I use 180 grain Grizzly heads and only wooden shafts with a low profile 5" Pope and Young cut. I am throwing a 690-700 grain arrow at speeds between 190-205 fps. Most of my good shots are pass through (that's good, it means a faster kill as the animal bleeds out quicker).
          I use the same arrows for my self-bow which is an 84# @ 28" rawhide backed yew with horn nocks 70" tall and a whole lot slower (Dacron string). I also own a 96# @ 28" lemonwood hickory backed, horn nocked D-section longbow that is 76" long and I have hunted with, but it's a bit too long and more bow than I need for most North American game. It's a great bow for demos though.
          I draw heavy bows because I always have and I'm used to it (not a testosterone thing, I got nothing to prove, it is what it is.)
          I think you will want a bow no less than about 55-60# if you are hunting with self bows because you want to shoot heavier arrows. You can get away with a slightly lighter draw bow if you are shooting a real quick and efficient lami bow, but check your local regs.
          I can't emphasize enough how important it is that you keep your heads razor sharp with a slightly chiseled point. That will make the big difference in the success of your shot.
          I don't hunt boar because I don't eat pork. My tackle will take down most any mammal I come across in the woods.
          BTW it's not about the speed of the arrow, it's about delivery a heavy, sharp arrow that cuts as effortlessly as possible.
          For the humane hunter, this is the kindest way to make meat. An animal that I have taken often doesn't even know it's been shot. It doesn't buck and run because it hasn't felt the impact.
          Good luck to you,
          -Geoffrei
        • Rj Bachner
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
            Well start with a longbow as heavy as you're comfortable with, boar and such
            take more than a 50 lber to be sure, 60 or 65 lbs shoud do it. Makesure you
            got a heavy arrow and a razor sharp 2 blade broadhead and practice practice
            practice.

            Boar are big heavy tough animals and you cant screw around with em, so find
            someone locally that hunts boar with trad equipement and learn from them.
            Once your on your own, the garb and the equipement are secondary to the
            objective. To kill a boar cleanly and not wound it. Make sure your
            arrowheads meet your local hunting regs and your bow has the punch to do it.

            Other than that the rest is easy.

            Ragi
            I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
            in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
            if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
            arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
            century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
            me where I may look.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
              Remember what ever you find out make sure it matches the mundain requriments
              for size of broad head and poundage on bow or what ever else they come up
              with.

              James Cunningham
              Former Texas dove shooter

              > Greetings fellow archers!
              > I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
              > in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
              > if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
              > arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
              > century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
              > me where I may look.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dan Martin
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
                Hello I bore hunt all the time that is my one true love.
                I use a long bow for almost everything. Don't like the aggravation of a compound. But here is the kicker. You need at least a 50lb bow for hogg. I shoot a 60 and then I hit them close. I also have a 44mag on hip and a dog next to me. Hogg hunting is pure no if and or buts fun but its also very dangerous. Not making fun or putting down your hunting ability but with a hogg the game changes. think hunting tigers. When he she gets hit there is a 50/50 chance they will attack. You must have an escape route. No don't stand and fight. Unless you carry maw bell like I do.
                Next your talking Texas Javalina the problem compounds by 10 I love hunting the little bastards but they are dangerous. They will kill you.
                arrow for hogg I shoot 150 grain with four cutting heads.
                Try and find someone who has hogg hunted before to go out with you the first few times or do it with a gun at first.
                Last remember you dont shoot a long shot at hogs 20/25yrds is a good shot so you dont worry much about speed you want hit power and you want shock.
                Dan Martin
                blackwaterincorp
                Buddy in Oklahoma
                even though you beat my cowboys

                "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
                Remember what ever you find out make sure it matches the mundain requriments
                for size of broad head and poundage on bow or what ever else they come up
                with.

                James Cunningham
                Former Texas dove shooter

                > Greetings fellow archers!
                > I am thinking of hunting boar with a long bow on a friends land here
                > in Texas. I have hunted with compound bows for years and was wondering
                > if anyone had any information on considerations of bow poundage,
                > arrowheads and such so I can try to make the hunt as 15 to 16th
                > century as possible. If you have any information please share or help
                > me where I may look.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links