Regarding Period Equipment and Such

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
      Whenever I run archery at an event, I have one goal: to provide a good time
      for those who choose to join in the shoot. At Squires Revolt recently, I
      let people pop balloons, shoot at pirate garbed cats, squirrels, shoot at a
      downward angle from a round platform (simulating taking aim from the "crow's
      nest"), "poach" one of the king's deer, turkey shoot type targets, stuffed
      socks simulating rats climbing the mooring line, and other such nonsensical
      ideas.

      Who won? Everybody did who shot and walked away from the range smiling.

      As for period equipment, I shoot crossbows. The roller nut made by Master
      Iolo that I purchased is just as fun, if slightly less accurate than the
      specially tuned Barnett modification with the period styled wood stock and
      the Excalibur trigger/release. The clapper lock that I am building will be
      fun as well as very "period" looking.

      There are times and places for all of the acceptable equipment! The Barnett
      is out of place at a demo where I am trying to look as "authentic" as
      possible. The Pennsic Champions shoot or any other place where I am looking
      to shoot as accurately as possible is the time for the Barnett. Any time I
      am under scrutiny, I try to "look right", but sometimes the stylistic choice
      is blurry.

      Right now, I have two ladies who are my archery students, one shooting a
      pretty much stock Barnett that I own with a lightened prod (delaminated on
      the back and Forester Cirion sanded it down to the same lamination
      throughout the length of the prod. Since he is an Architect by training and
      also has some engineering and fine craft work experience, I trust it. Kids,
      don't try this at home! :-) ) The other is just starting to learn with my
      old Powermaster.

      Both weapons look pretty modern, but the notions are "period" and the
      ladies are having fun.

      Remember, folks: THIS IS A HOBBY! It's supposed to be fun! Be as authentic
      as you are able and wish. Encourage and help others to find their own level
      of fun and comfort.

      Dammit, somebody toss that Irishman off that soapbox!

      Smiling,

      Forester Padraig MacRaighne

      Pentamere Regional Lt General of Archers,

      Northwoods Baronial Archer Champion,

      Long-winded sucker extraordinaire

    • rorikscaviking
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
        > Who won? Everybody did who shot and walked away from the
        > range smiling.
        >
        > There are times and places for all of the acceptable equipment!
        >
        > Both weapons look pretty modern, but the notions are "period"
        > and the ladies are having fun.
        >
        > Remember, folks: THIS IS A HOBBY! It's supposed to be fun!
        > Be as authentic as you are able and wish. Encourage and help
        > others to find their own level of fun and comfort.

        Well said sir! We have to draw the line somewhere or else we would
        have garb with fairy wings, magic wands, etc (although the Xena
        outfits are interesting!) which is fine at other events but not
        exactly what the SCA is about. We can't get so caught up
        in 'authenticity' that we stop having fun either.

        Now I will drop the thread on authenticity.

        Having read the threads for manufacturing crossbows and the
        literature presented thus far, I humbly ask if you have any further
        suggestions before I start cutting my first piece of wood this day?
        The references you gave are somewhat beyond my current knowledge and
        I can't afford the luxury of purchasing a properly made crossbow to
        see how it is constructed such as your Barnett or even parts from
        Master Iolo. Not wanting to be the latest in a series of people
        asking "How do I..." I'll give it my best shot and if it doesn't
        work out I'll try again learning from my mistakes but always moving
        forward.

        Rorik

        > As for period equipment, I shoot crossbows. The roller nut made
        > by Master Iolo that I purchased is just as fun, if slightly less
        > accurate than the specially tuned Barnett modification with the
        > period styled wood stock and the Excalibur trigger/release.
        > The clapper lock that I am building will be
        > fun as well as very "period" looking.

      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
          If you have access to an application which will view AutoCad dwg
          files I can send you the drawings I have made for my class to build crossbows.
          Carolus

          At 03:52 AM 10/30/2005, you wrote:

          > > Who won? Everybody did who shot and walked away from the
          > > range smiling.
          > >
          > > There are times and places for all of the acceptable equipment!
          > >
          > > Both weapons look pretty modern, but the notions are "period"
          > > and the ladies are having fun.
          > >
          > > Remember, folks: THIS IS A HOBBY! It's supposed to be fun!
          > > Be as authentic as you are able and wish. Encourage and help
          > > others to find their own level of fun and comfort.
          >

          >Well said sir! We have to draw the line somewhere or else we would
          >have garb with fairy wings, magic wands, etc (although the Xena
          >outfits are interesting!) which is fine at other events but not
          >exactly what the SCA is about. We can't get so caught up
          >in 'authenticity' that we stop having fun either.
          >
          >Now I will drop the thread on authenticity.
          >
          >Having read the threads for manufacturing crossbows and the
          >literature presented thus far, I humbly ask if you have any further
          >suggestions before I start cutting my first piece of wood this day?
          >The references you gave are somewhat beyond my current knowledge and
          >I can't afford the luxury of purchasing a properly made crossbow to
          >see how it is constructed such as your Barnett or even parts from
          >Master Iolo. Not wanting to be the latest in a series of people
          >asking "How do I..." I'll give it my best shot and if it doesn't
          >work out I'll try again learning from my mistakes but always moving
          >forward.
          >
          >Rorik
          >

          > > As for period equipment, I shoot crossbows. The roller nut made
          > > by Master Iolo that I purchased is just as fun, if slightly less
          > > accurate than the specially tuned Barnett modification with the
          > > period styled wood stock and the Excalibur trigger/release.
          > > The clapper lock that I am building will be
          > > fun as well as very "period" looking.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >--
        • Scott B. Jaqua
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
            Alchem Inc. makes crossbow prods, bow irons and other equipment for
            archery and rapier. On their web-site, http://www.alcheminc.com/ , they
            have a set of full sized plans for a period style crossbow, that you can
            print out for free.

            Njall

            rorikscaviking wrote:

            >Having read the threads for manufacturing crossbows and the
            >literature presented thus far, I humbly ask if you have any further
            >suggestions before I start cutting my first piece of wood this day?
            >The references you gave are somewhat beyond my current knowledge and
            >I can't afford the luxury of purchasing a properly made crossbow to
            >see how it is constructed such as your Barnett or even parts from
            >Master Iolo. Not wanting to be the latest in a series of people
            >asking "How do I..." I'll give it my best shot and if it doesn't
            >work out I'll try again learning from my mistakes but always moving
            >forward.
            >
            >Rorik

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005