Crossbow Speed Rounds

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005
      Shooting a modified Barnett with an Excalibur trigger, Cirion the Left
      Handed watched me doing a speed round and suggested something very similar
      to what Njall spoke of. He (and now I) plants the arrows slightly to the
      left of the planted left foot. Drop the stirrup onto the toe (this takes
      practice), cock the bow, right hand to the mid-stock while left hand palms
      the arrow with the cock feather away from the wrist. Slide the arrow into
      place on the string as the right hand starts raising the weapon to shoulder.
      Drop left hand under the forestock, continue the upward motion and come on
      line. Release when the sight picture is correct.

      Sounds complicated, but it goes quickly and with practice becomes automatic.

      Ragnar Kittelsson uses 2 fletch bolts, an ankle quiver, and feels that the
      right hand is best for loading. His results are similar to mine. I should
      add, though, that I am demonstrably ambidextrous, thus using my left hand is
      no big deal to me.

      Caedmon protests his disaffection with speed rounds, but I have watched him
      put out a bouquet with both handbow and crossbow. He looks like a praying
      mantis on speed! :-) I would also point out that the "heavy" crossbows we
      use in SCA are light by comparison to the siege bows and ballistae of the
      period. I also think that the RR and IKAC rules are fine the way they are
      for those who wish to participate. Keeping things simple is always
      desirable.

      Sorry to be so long winded in these posts, I get tired of the gritching and
      biping over the differences and especially when some dingbat claims that
      crossbow is not archery. Yes, I have someone in mind. Never mind who.

      Padraig