RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Another period bow

  • Rj Bachner
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
      Heya

      No you don't have to have a self bow your own height but it will suffer for
      it. As you over bend the bow you will strain it beyond it's ability to
      spring back and you get a lot of set. As well as you noted you cant draw it
      back far enough cause it is stacking. Or the string angle formed at the limb
      tips has started to approach 90 degrees and it wont go much farther.

      I would suggest you get a self bow that is min 20% longer than 2 times your
      draw length . You will get a much better draw and performance from it. In
      fact if you have a bow made with a fairly long stiff handle section and
      limbs that are the correct length for you, you can have a bow with low
      string angles, lots of length for stability and make sure the limbs work
      mostly in the middle and end for a low set, high speed design.

      Target practice requires not a short bow but a long one for consistent and
      forgiving accuracy, well it does for some at any rate.

      Ragi