Crossbow weights?

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 7, 2005
      Does anyone know if there are records of poundage's for the inspected
      crossbows at Pennsic, Gulf Wars or Estrella? If such records do exist,
      is it possible to get copies?

      Thanks

      Jon

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      cunning of mind.

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 7, 2005
        I am looking for the poundage's for target crossbows.

        Jon

        On Friday, October 7, 2005, at 06:59 PM, John edgerton wrote:

        > Does anyone know if there are records of poundage's for the inspected
        > crossbows at Pennsic, Gulf Wars or Estrella? If such records do exist,
        > is it possible to get copies?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jon
      • Bruce R. Gordon
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 8, 2005
          Greetings
          We've never kept track of poundages for either X-bows or handbows as such at Pennsic - the subject often arises during the course of inspections of course, but no statistical records are retained of individual inspections - that would be a massive burden to place on the marshallate.

          For what it's worth, my impression after many, many years of inspecting at Pennsic is that the lightest poundages encountered will be about 50, and the highest about 150 - the hump of the bell-shaped curve being around 95 to 125.

          One place where poundages are recorded and the records preserved on the web is my own Winter Challenge (which, incidentally, is gearing up for the new season again). Go to http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html and drop down to the bottom of the page - there are links to each year's final scores going back to 1997. When I took over the management of the shoot in 1998, I created divisions, so for the 1998-2004 seasons you can flip down to the crossbow division tables to get a look-see at represented poundages. For the earliest year that has html records, 1997, the poundages exist, but you'd need to go through the list as a whole and dig 'em out.

          Nigel

          > Does anyone know if there are records of poundage's for the inspected
          > crossbows at Pennsic, Gulf Wars or Estrella? If such records do exist,
          > is it possible to get copies?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Jon
          >

          > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
          > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
          > cunning of mind.

          > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's <a href="http://www.medievalmart.com/" target="_blank">http://www.medievalmart.com/</a>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          "Do these colors match?"
          "Is this too much jewelry?"
          "Is that my drink?"

        • james kennedy
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 8, 2005
            > For what it's worth, my impression after many, many years of
            > inspecting at Pennsic is that the lightest poundages encountered
            > will be about 50, and the highest about 150 - the hump of the
            > bell-shaped curve being around 95 to 125.

            I regularly used one at 175 and remember one of over 200.

            knut

            __________________________________
            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 8, 2005
              Thanks, that gives me a good general idea of the range of the prod
              weights. I still would like some more information on what the accurate
              range is for different weight prods.

              Thanks

              Jon
              On Saturday, October 8, 2005, at 04:26 AM, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

              > Greetings
              > We've never kept track of poundages for either X-bows or handbows
              > as such at Pennsic - the subject often arises during the course of
              > inspections of course, but no statistical records are retained of
              > individual inspections - that would be a massive burden to place on
              > the marshallate.
              >
              > For what it's worth, my impression after many, many years of
              > inspecting at Pennsic is that the lightest poundages encountered will
              > be about 50, and the highest about 150 - the hump of the bell-shaped
              > curve being around 95 to 125.
              >
              > One place where poundages are recorded and the records preserved
              > on the web is my own Winter Challenge (which, incidentally, is gearing
              > up for the new season again). Go to
              > http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html and drop down to the bottom
              > of the page - there are links to each year's final scores going back
              > to 1997. When I took over the management of the shoot in 1998, I
              > created divisions, so for the 1998-2004 seasons you can flip down to
              > the crossbow division tables to get a look-see at represented
              > poundages. For the earliest year that has html records, 1997, the
              > poundages exist, but you'd need to go through the list as a whole and
              > dig 'em out.
              >
              > Nigel
            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 9, 2005
                My target xbow pulls 67 and one of my Caidans regularly shoots one at
                300 and another in the 200 range.
                Carolus

                At 07:53 AM 10/8/2005, you wrote:

                > > For what it's worth, my impression after many, many years of
                > > inspecting at Pennsic is that the lightest poundages encountered
                > > will be about 50, and the highest about 150 - the hump of the
                > > bell-shaped curve being around 95 to 125.
                >
                >I regularly used one at 175 and remember one of over 200.
                >
                >knut
                >

                >__________________________________
                >Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
                >http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >--
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 9, 2005
                  AT Gulf War a few years ago I inspected a 300LB crossbow...it only lasted
                  one shot and I have not seen it since. Most I have seen or inspected run
                  70-150Lb with a few lighter combat crossbows.

                  James Cunningham

                  > Does anyone know if there are records of poundage's for the inspected
                  > crossbows at Pennsic, Gulf Wars or Estrella? If such records do exist,
                  > is it possible to get copies?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Jon
                  >

                  > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                  > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                  > cunning of mind.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jeffrey Webb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 9, 2005
                    Greetings,
                    In my marshal experience, I will say that there are two common groups of crossbow prods- The steel prods which are commonly obtained from Gladius and the "average weight is 100- 125 lb. and then there are the aluminum prods available from Iolo or old "Whammo" prods which are either 70lb or 90lb. There are other prods out there such as the Barnet fiberglass and some other custom prods, but if you are asking about the common average, then I think what I have just reported from my personal experience should be fairly accurate.
                    -Geoffrei

                    > Does anyone know if there are records of poundage's for the inspected
                    > crossbows at Pennsic, Gulf Wars or Estrella? If such records do exist,
                    > is it possible to get copies?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Jon
                    >

                    > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                    > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                    > cunning of mind.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Michael Scherrer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                      First crossbow I built was in the 150 range.
                      Had a great time loosing arrows at events. I had to start carrying my own
                      material (foam card board
                      to put behind the targets. Straw bails and older saunders butts would not
                      stop the bolt.
                      The bows I build that now run as low as 75# to 125#. Most events can handle
                      these poundage.
                      The 125's shoot nice and flat out too 30 yards, and are not that hard to
                      draw with a foot
                      stirrup.

                      Thomas of Cologne

                    • georgeledbury@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                        I shoot a 150lb crossbow in York rounds and between 80 and 100lbs in royal
                        rounds.
                        Gawin of Kevelioc

                      • John edgerton
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                          My thanks to those that have posted on crossbow weights.

                          I still would like more information on what the maximum range accurate,
                          keeping all bolts on the face of a 60 cm target, range is for these
                          different poundage bows.

                          Many thanks for the help.

                          Jon
                        • John edgerton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                            That should read.... "maximum accurate range" not "maximum range
                            accurate".

                            I seem to be a bit sequence of out today. ;-)

                            Jon

                          • georgeledbury@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                              Sir Jon
                              Wouldn't that Max range depend on the shooter as much as the crossbow or
                              am I missing what it is that you are asking?
                              Gawin

                            • John edgerton
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                                It does. But, a low powered crossbow would need to be aimed well above
                                the target, while a high powered crossbow would be still be aimed at
                                the target. For example at a hundred yards the heavy crossbow might be
                                able to be aimed at the target by raising your sighting eye a bit.
                                But, the light crossbow would have to your sighting eye way above the
                                the stock and therefore not in a stable position in relation to the
                                bolt tip.

                                I know it would differ from archer to archer. However, I just want to
                                get a general idea of the maximum accurate range would be for most sca
                                target crossbows. I would not want to set up a long range end that
                                would too difficult for most crossbows. And even then, it will all
                                depend upon how far one would be able to shoot safely on the range at
                                AnTir 40YC.

                                Jon
                                On Monday, October 10, 2005, at 09:18 AM, georgeledbury@... wrote:

                                > Sir Jon
                                > Wouldn't that Max range depend on the shooter as much as the
                                > crossbow or
                                > am I missing what it is that you are asking?
                                > Gawin
                              • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                                  My 120-pounder can easily send a bolt out to 200 yards. Don't ask.

                                  As for accuracy, I was able to accurately place bolts into a 12"
                                  wreath at 70 yards last year about 8 of 10 times fairly consistently.

                                  --
                                  Lord Caedmon Wilson

                                  Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
                                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                                    I could not bet on hitting the 60cm at more than 50 yards with sights or
                                    practice. With an end of practice or a tested sight 60 or70yards on a 60cm
                                    is a good bet.

                                    James Cunningham

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
                                      Greetings
                                      I've been hesitatant about answering this question, because it really depends on skill, not poundage. A crossbow is powerful enough that even at clout distances, elevation isn't tremendously high, and I can always find a stable aim-point somehow. I shoot a 125 #, which I regard as being pretty typical in poundage for the SCA. I can without any effort at all count on hitting paper at 40 yards, and although I don't often practice it, I'll bet I could hit 60 cm. paper at 50 yards without much trouble too. For distances of 60 yards and more, I'd start missing paper with increasing frequency as the range increased - unless you gave me some practice rounds; with a few trial runs, I could probably paper consistently up to around 80 yds. or so. After that, I'd still have problems - with some practice rounds I can get all 6 in the clout no problem, but that's a much bigger target than 60 cm. I have occasionally gotten all six in a man-sized target at 100, but that's not a feat I!
                                      'd claim I could repeat with any regularity. It's really a matter of my (lack of) skill and practice, more than any other factor.

                                      Nigel

                                      > My thanks to those that have posted on crossbow weights.
                                      >
                                      > I still would like more information on what the maximum range accurate,
                                      > keeping all bolts on the face of a 60 cm target, range is for these
                                      > different poundage bows.
                                      >
                                      > Many thanks for the help.
                                      >
                                      > Jon

                                      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's <a href="http://www.medievalmart.com/" target="_blank">http://www.medievalmart.com/</a>