Range of crossbows?

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 2005
      I am considering running a crossbow only competition next year,
      possibly at AnTir's 40YC.. I do not want to put the furthest target
      too far from the shooting line. But, would like to stretch the ability
      of the shooters a bit. So, I would like to hear from as many crossbow
      shooters as possible as to what the maximum range is that they can
      shoot accurately. For example keeping all the bolts on a 60 cm face.
      If you could also give the poundage and type of prod for your crossbow,
      or any related other information, it would be most helpful.

      Another part of the competition may include a period crossbow face
      target, which is being researched, that will be most interesting to
      shoot. It includes negative as well as positive points, as well as the
      chance to lose a turn in shooting if you miss the center by too much.
      No timed ends. Just shooting as accurately as possible, which is a
      major quality of a crossbow.

      Thank you for any help you can give.

      Jon

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      cunning of mind.

    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
        Off the top of my head ... I'd say that'd be doable from 100yds ...
        Maybe farther ... Especially given adequate sightung in time.

        If just a walk-up-here-and-shoot ... Then perhaps 70 or 80

        Siegfried - who shoots a 145# gladius prod - and who after a few
        warmup rounds at pennsic, is grouping that tight on the clout - though
        usually on the guys feet

        On 10/7/05, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
        > I am considering running a crossbow only competition next year,
        > possibly at AnTir's 40YC.. I do not want to put the furthest target
        > too far from the shooting line. But, would like to stretch the ability
        > of the shooters a bit. So, I would like to hear from as many crossbow
        > shooters as possible as to what the maximum range is that they can
        > shoot accurately. For example keeping all the bolts on a 60 cm face.
        > If you could also give the poundage and type of prod for your crossbow,
        > or any related other information, it would be most helpful.
        >
        > Another part of the competition may include a period crossbow face
        > target, which is being researched, that will be most interesting to
        > shoot. It includes negative as well as positive points, as well as the
        > chance to lose a turn in shooting if you miss the center by too much.
        > No timed ends. Just shooting as accurately as possible, which is a
        > major quality of a crossbow.
        >
        > Thank you for any help you can give.
        >
        > Jon
        >

        > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
        > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
        > cunning of mind.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lord Cain Saethydd
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 14, 2005
          Sir Jon,

          One shoot I have always wanted to do, was the one with the Phoenix
          (or similar large bird) as a target. The bird was made up of pieces
          joined together, yet designed to come 'off' with a solid strike from a
          crossbow. Hopefully designed so only one or two pieces could be shot
          off at a time. (--- thought,,, try placing the outer feathers behind
          the inner ones, so the support the inner rows. This would make it
          tougher to shoot off large chunks---) Marked on the back of each piece
          was the title of a prize. Often, the Head or Heart, both being well
          protected, and unable to come off untill most of the other pieces were
          gone, had the grand prize marked on the back of it. These shoots were
          generaly fundraisers, as I recall. (Germanic in origin?) With each
          shot requiring a set amount of currency, gradualy increasing as the
          feathers were nocked off, thusly coordinating with the better prizes.

          This was traditionaly a shoot for only crossbows, often with draw
          weight limits. Sometimes crossbows were provided for those without,
          and to help even the field. Blunted bolts work well. Oh, and number
          the pieces, with a diagram of they they go, to aid in getting the
          prizes to the correct shooter. (numbers could be used exclusive of
          prize titles)

          Now, I read this, like, 10 years ago, in 'The Grey Goose Wing', I
          think, as well as a few others.

          I did a "Poppin' Jay" shoot once. It was very popular, and I had fun
          hosting it. If you were to do this, I would Heartily recommend that
          the crossbows and bolts be provided, and not allow the shooters to use
          thier own. As a high powered crossbow can get a blunted flu-flu bolt
          to go a bit farther than you may desire. For safety, only allow a
          narrow shooting range, say, 60 degree arc. And don't forget to mark 2
          distances from the pole. One minimum range, and one max range. Too
          close, and the bolts may come back into the shooters, too far, and the
          bolts may leave the designated area, even with flu-flus.

          Again, this was traditionaly a crossbow shoot, and is still done in a
          few towns in Europe. It was not uncommon for this to be a fundraiser,
          either. But, for those towns that were required to maintain troops
          skilled in crossbow, the shoot required no outlay of moneys from the
          shooters (again, as I recall). I also saw this the same books.

          I hope to be able to attend the event.

          Cain, Atenveldt

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...> wrote:

          > I am considering running a crossbow only competition next year,
          > possibly at AnTir's 40YC.. I do not want to put the furthest target
          > too far from the shooting line. But, would like to stretch the ability
          > of the shooters a bit. So, I would like to hear from as many crossbow
          > shooters as possible as to what the maximum range is that they can
          > shoot accurately. For example keeping all the bolts on a 60 cm face.
          > If you could also give the poundage and type of prod for your crossbow,
          > or any related other information, it would be most helpful.
          >
          > Another part of the competition may include a period crossbow face
          > target, which is being researched, that will be most interesting to
          > shoot. It includes negative as well as positive points, as well as the
          > chance to lose a turn in shooting if you miss the center by too much.
          > No timed ends. Just shooting as accurately as possible, which is a
          > major quality of a crossbow.
          >
          > Thank you for any help you can give.
          >
          > Jon
          >

          > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
          > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
          > cunning of mind.

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 15, 2005
            Yes, the first is known as the "Dresden Bird" and used the German
            Eagle as the target. I have been looking into this. The popinjay is
            a fun shoot and one we have done at GWW in the past. we hope to do
            it again. As we have a 5 acre range available to us with virtually
            unlimited downrange, safety is not a problem.

            Carolus

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
              Lord Cain

              When you did your Poppin Jay shoot how did construct the pole and how
              high was it?

              What I am working on for a crossbow shoot is based on some medieval
              Italian crossbow
              competitions. One is rather like a dart board with the center having
              positive points and the outer areas having negative points. Another is
              one that some of you may have seen photos of from most current Italian
              medieval style crossbow competitions. It has an approximately six
              inch scoring area and the most center bolt is the winner. There will
              be no timed ends. The crossbow is a precision weapon not a rapid fire
              one. This will remove the advantage the lighter draw and faster to
              cock, sca crossbows have over the heavier crossbows when there is a
              timed end. Front or rear sights will not be allowed. And resting the
              crossbow directly upon a support, such as the Italian shooting benches
              will be allowed. And if the range allows, there will be a longer range
              shoot at 80 or more yards.

              My thanks to those of you that posted information on the accurate range
              of your crossbows.

              I am waiting for the translations of the Italian rules before I get
              into detail on the rules for the 40YC competition.

              Plan ahead and closely match a set of bolts and practice really tight
              groups. :-)

              Jon

              On Friday, October 14, 2005, at 11:28 PM, Lord Cain Saethydd wrote:

> [...]
              >> shoot accurately. For example keeping all the bolts on a 60 cm face.
              >> If you could also give the poundage and type of prod for your
              >> crossbow,
              >> or any related other information, it would be most helpful.
              >>
              >> Another part of the competition may include a period crossbow face
              >> target, which is being researched, that will be most interesting to
              >> shoot. It includes negative as well as positive points, as well as
              >> the
              >> chance to lose a turn in shooting if you miss the center by too much.
              >> No timed ends. Just shooting as accurately as possible, which is a
              >> major quality of a crossbow.
              >>
              >> Thank you for any help you can give.
              >>
              >> Jon
              >>

              >> Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
              >> An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
                I saw, briefly a while back, a book on the history of targets. It had
                many pictures of early targets. However, it seemed to be mostly gun
                targets. Has anyone a copy of this book or know of it? If so, I would
                like to know if it covers much of archery targets, particularly
                crossbow targets. Also, what is the name of the book?

                Thanks for any help you can give.

                Jon
              • Mike O'Toole
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
                  John edgerton wrote:
                  > I saw, briefly a while back, a book on the history of targets. It had
                  > many pictures of early targets. However, it seemed to be mostly gun
                  > targets. Has anyone a copy of this book or know of it? If so, I would
                  > like to know if it covers much of archery targets, particularly
                  > crossbow targets. Also, what is the name of the book?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any help you can give.
                  >
                  > Jon

                  If it is Braun's History of Targets of which you speak them you remember
                  correctly, it is mostly gun targets though if I remember correctly there
                  was some crossover with late period crossbow targets.

                  I have a copy of it on my shelf. Ask away.

                  Michael O'Byrne
                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                    > It is the crossbow targets that I am interested in. About how many
                    > examples of them are there? I am wondering if it is worth buying the
                    > book. Could you generally describe some of the crossbow targets?

                    Many thanks

                    Jon

                    On Sunday, October 16, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Mike O'Toole wrote:
                    > If it is Braun's History of Targets of which you speak them you
                    > remember
                    > correctly, it is mostly gun targets though if I remember correctly
                    > there
                    > was some crossover with late period crossbow targets.
                    >
                    > I have a copy of it on my shelf. Ask away.
                    >
                    > Michael O'Byrne

                    > John edgerton wrote:
                    >> I saw, briefly a while back, a book on the history of targets. It had
                    >> many pictures of early targets. However, it seemed to be mostly gun
                    >> targets. Has anyone a copy of this book or know of it? If so, I
                    >> would
                    >> like to know if it covers much of archery targets, particularly
                    >> crossbow targets. Also, what is the name of the book?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for any help you can give.
                    >>
                    >> Jon

                  • John edgerton
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                      Are you sure of the title and author? I could not find them on Amazon.

                      Thanks

                      Jon
                      On Sunday, October 16, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Mike O'Toole wrote:

                      > If it is Braun's History of Targets of which you speak them you
                      > remember
                      > correctly, it is mostly gun targets though if I remember correctly
                      > there
                      > was some crossover with late period crossbow targets.
                      >
                      > I have a copy of it on my shelf. Ask away.
                      >
                      > Michael O'Byrne
                    • mike_otoole_2001
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                        Sorry about that, I misremembered. Correct info is:

                        Braun, Anne.
                        Historical Targets; Royden Publishing 1983

                        My personal favourite book search engine is Abebooks:

                        http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&an=Braun&tn=Historical+Targets&sortby=2

                        usually better prices than amazon and booksellers from around the world.

                        Happy hunting,

                        Mike O'Toole

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...> wrote:

                        > Are you sure of the title and author? I could not find them on
                        Amazon.

                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Jon
                        > On Sunday, October 16, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Mike O'Toole wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If it is Braun's History of Targets of which you speak them you
                        > > remember
                        > > correctly, it is mostly gun targets though if I remember correctly
                        > > there
                        > > was some crossover with late period crossbow targets.
                        > >
                        > > I have a copy of it on my shelf. Ask away.
                        > >
                        > > Michael O'Byrne

                      • John edgerton
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                          Great. I found it.