[SCA-Archery] IFAA vs. FITA, target faces

  • Seán Moore
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
      In the UK, we still use FITA target Faces, both manfactured by Bjorn and by
      Maple Leaf
      Press, the Official NFAA and US FITA manufacturer.
      So even if the scales were to tip drastically towards IFAA, there are still
      huge demands for the FITA target faces from GNAS, BLBS, IFAF etc. to keep
      the process going. There are basically only two faces that would change and
      they are made by other suppliers.
      I have looked into getting the period faces printed, through a target face
      manufacturer, it is expensive, yet, through a conventional printer, it is
      not too bad, for basically the same process.

      Se�n the Archer

      ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
      Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
        I have a plastic copy of the 60 cm period target(with extra lines to be used
        as a Fita face, in B&W. It was ment to be used to print period faces. I
        have never taken it to a printer to see what could be done.

        James Cunningham
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          You would not need to convet the scores! Just set the rank/score and
          everyone would have to shoot them. It would make some old heads dust the
          bows off and give it a go. Some would not be able to get to the rank they
          use to hold but ...if they wanted to practice hard enough.....but that is
          what the ranking system was suposted to do in the first place.... get us out
          to shoot?

          James Cunningham
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
            > Indeed, rankings systems are a two edged sword. They are a burden to
            > the officers, a pain to administer, and an artificial marker at
            > best. However, I have seen great interest in rankings in beginning
            > to high intermediate archers (their importance wanes with experience
            > and skill) and this seems to make them a useful tool. It also gives
            > a tangible point at which acknowledgement can be given an
            > archer. And this reinforcement for accomplishment is something the
            > SCA as a whole is very poor at.

            I agree with Carolus on this and have seen this happen localy and kingdom
            wide. The high ranking archers only shoot a complete RR to confirm they are
            still "in practice" or to find out if they need more.

            James Cunningham