Re: [SCA-Archery] Another period bow

  • Jeffrey Webb
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      Greetings Cian,
      My hunting bow is a 60" reflex/deflex longbow 70# @ 27". It is made by Herb Meland of Pronghorn Bows and uses fast-flite string. It shoots incredibly smoothe with NO handshock. I get 190-200fps with a 640 grain arrow. I don't have a centershot shelf on it and I shoot off my hand with almost all of my bows.
      There are quite a numbe of short longbows made in the 4.5-5 foot range that will suit what you are asking for, just check out the different custom bowyers that advertise in Traditional Bowhunter. Berry makes a nice one too.
      -Geoffrei

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
        Cian,

        I actually HAVE a 54" flatbow. It's made out of red oak. It's a
        nice bow, and I've shot it a few times, but the problems with the
        self-bows is, you really DO need a bow that matches your height.
        This bow is supposed to be 40#, but it doens't have that much power
        when you shoot it. And it is a bit difficult to draw to 28".

        I will have it with me at Storvik's event this weekend, if you wish
        to see it.

        Reyne

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"
        <firespiter@y...> wrote:

        > I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to
        > minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson
        was
        > using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick
        as
        > your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
        > I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be
        > great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75"
        english
        > longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But
        my
        > thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
        > that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a
        twig.
        > The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard
        would
        > also be a deterant.
        > Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that
        even
        > self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then
        the
        > user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
        > (I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
        > -Cian

      • Rj Bachner
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
          Heya

          No you don't have to have a self bow your own height but it will suffer for
          it. As you over bend the bow you will strain it beyond it's ability to
          spring back and you get a lot of set. As well as you noted you cant draw it
          back far enough cause it is stacking. Or the string angle formed at the limb
          tips has started to approach 90 degrees and it wont go much farther.

          I would suggest you get a self bow that is min 20% longer than 2 times your
          draw length . You will get a much better draw and performance from it. In
          fact if you have a bow made with a fairly long stiff handle section and
          limbs that are the correct length for you, you can have a bow with low
          string angles, lots of length for stability and make sure the limbs work
          mostly in the middle and end for a low set, high speed design.

          Target practice requires not a short bow but a long one for consistent and
          forgiving accuracy, well it does for some at any rate.

          Ragi