Re: [SCA-Archery] Another period bow

  • Elizabeth Chase
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      Scythian or Korean horn bows.... great fiberglass repros available. Fairly stiff, and I do not care for them.

      I have a custom made horse bow of the Hun/Magyar/Mongol/Turkish (read: Central Asian) style with the siyahs that allow the kind of draw of which you spoke. They have an incredible tolerance for stacking & generate decent power.

      Sugg: www.horsebows.com

      www.salukibow.com

      www.ponybow.com

      Elizabeth

      Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...> wrote:
      I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to a
      minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson was
      using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick as
      your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
      I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be a
      great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75" english
      longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But my
      thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
      that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a twig.
      The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard would
      also be a deterant.
      Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that even
      self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then the
      user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
      (I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
      -Cian

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jeffrey Webb
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        Greetings,
        I've shot a number of metal bows (steel and aluminum) an I can't say I've ever found one worth shooting.The cast is terrible, no speed and they all have a handshock that will loosen all of your fillings. I don't think the problem is in the manufacture, I think it is in the material.
        What makes an excellent material for a crossbow prod may not be the best for a handbow. Having said all of that, party-on.
        You "might" be able to come up with something that all of the manufacturers and bowyers couldn't over the years with metal bows........but don't be disappointed
        if you have a miserable failure. All of the others that I've tried have been.
        -Geoffrei

        I just thought of a material I know existed in that movie which could have
        been used to make a really short, relatively narrow, workable bow of
        reasonable poundage. Steel. I have long considered making a small steel
        hand bow as a challenge. In fact Greybarr has a couple metal longbows in
        his shop, both aluminum and steel. I'd basically scale up a crossbow
        prod. It wouldn't have a great deal of cast, but it would throw a heavy arrow!

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

        >At 08:55 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
        >I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to a
        >minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson was
        >using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick as
        >your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
        >I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be a
        >great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75" english
        >longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But my
        >thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
        >that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a twig.
        >The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard would
        >also be a deterant.
        >Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that even
        >self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then the
        >user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
        >(I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
        >-Cian

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jeffrey Webb
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
          Greetings Cian,
          My hunting bow is a 60" reflex/deflex longbow 70# @ 27". It is made by Herb Meland of Pronghorn Bows and uses fast-flite string. It shoots incredibly smoothe with NO handshock. I get 190-200fps with a 640 grain arrow. I don't have a centershot shelf on it and I shoot off my hand with almost all of my bows.
          There are quite a numbe of short longbows made in the 4.5-5 foot range that will suit what you are asking for, just check out the different custom bowyers that advertise in Traditional Bowhunter. Berry makes a nice one too.
          -Geoffrei

          My guess is you could make such a bow, but for it to be flexible enough to
          be drawn without breaking, it would have to be really thin. In other
          words, very low poundage. Unless of course you made it of some magical
          material with a high modulus of elasticity. I suppose a wizard like
          Gandalf could use his powers to whip up a batch of fiberglass. And
          considering the beasts that ran around in that movie, there was likely
          something with really long horns which could be made into bow staves.

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

          > At 08:55 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
          >I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to a
          >minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson was
          >using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick as
          >your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
          >I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be a
          >great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75" english
          >longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But my
          >thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
          >that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a twig.
          >The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard would
          >also be a deterant.
          >Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that even
          >self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then the
          >user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
          >(I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
          >-Cian

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Robyn Becker
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
            Cian,

            I actually HAVE a 54" flatbow. It's made out of red oak. It's a
            nice bow, and I've shot it a few times, but the problems with the
            self-bows is, you really DO need a bow that matches your height.
            This bow is supposed to be 40#, but it doens't have that much power
            when you shoot it. And it is a bit difficult to draw to 28".

            I will have it with me at Storvik's event this weekend, if you wish
            to see it.

            Reyne

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"
            <firespiter@y...> wrote:

            > I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to
            > minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson
            was
            > using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick
            as
            > your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
            > I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be
            > great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75"
            english
            > longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But
            my
            > thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
            > that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a
            twig.
            > The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard
            would
            > also be a deterant.
            > Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that
            even
            > self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then
            the
            > user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
            > (I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
            > -Cian

          • Rj Bachner
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
              Heya

              No you don't have to have a self bow your own height but it will suffer for
              it. As you over bend the bow you will strain it beyond it's ability to
              spring back and you get a lot of set. As well as you noted you cant draw it
              back far enough cause it is stacking. Or the string angle formed at the limb
              tips has started to approach 90 degrees and it wont go much farther.

              I would suggest you get a self bow that is min 20% longer than 2 times your
              draw length . You will get a much better draw and performance from it. In
              fact if you have a bow made with a fairly long stiff handle section and
              limbs that are the correct length for you, you can have a bow with low
              string angles, lots of length for stability and make sure the limbs work
              mostly in the middle and end for a low set, high speed design.

              Target practice requires not a short bow but a long one for consistent and
              forgiving accuracy, well it does for some at any rate.

              Ragi