Re: [SCA-Archery] Ranking vs Safety, Royal Rounds & rewards

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      James Koch wrote:

      >The line marshals
      >also do the actual scoring, or at least they judge whether a shot does or
      >does not cut the line.

      For most mundane competitions there are officials that do the scoring.
      My experience in the SCA is that being an honor based society, we allow
      the archers to score their own shots. Archers may occasionally ask a
      marshals opinion about how they think a shot should be scored.

      Of course different traditions are apparent in in various kingdoms and
      the SCA Target Archery rules dont address such trivia but they also dont
      address the use if FITA or any other specific targets but the IKAC rules
      do say, "Scoring is on the honor system: you may count and record your
      own score."

      -EA
    • Lord Antony
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
        An excellent point about the scoring - I always have a sheet available at
        any range I am marshalling (I even did so for East archers at Pennsic for
        all the shifts I worked the range) and explain that anyone who wishes to can
        submit a Royal Round score by filling in the appropriate info and writing
        down their scores. I am always sure to point out that it IS an honor system
        and that if they cheat on their scores they are only cheating themselves...
        Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties of
        ensuring range safety is when I have to keep an eye on my watch for 30
        seconds during the timed end...

        Lord Antony

        > >also do the actual scoring, or at least they judge whether a shot does or
        > >does not cut the line.
        > >

        > For most mundane competitions there are officials that do the scoring.
        > My experience in the SCA is that being an honor based society, we allow
        > the archers to score their own shots. Archers may occasionally ask a
        > marshals opinion about how they think a shot should be scored.
        >
        > Of course different traditions are apparent in in various kingdoms and
        > the SCA Target Archery rules dont address such trivia but they also dont
        > address the use if FITA or any other specific targets but the IKAC rules
        > do say, "Scoring is on the honor system: you may count and record your
        > own score."
        >
        > -EA

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
          Lord Anthony,

          >An excellent point about the scoring - I always have a sheet available at
          >any range I am marshalling (I even did so for East archers at Pennsic for
          >all the shifts I worked the range) and explain that anyone who wishes to can
          >submit a Royal Round score by filling in the appropriate info and writing
          >down their scores. I am always sure to point out that it IS an honor system
          >and that if they cheat on their scores they are only cheating themselves...
          >Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties of

          It may be an honor system in the East, but according to the published rules
          here in the Midrealm
          http://www.castlewalls.com/archery/Royal_Round_Rules/royal_round_rules.html
          "Royal Rounds must be witnessed by a warranted Archery Marshal
          (self-witnessed does not count) ". I have also been told that I can shoot
          as many practice rounds as I wish, but I must declare in advance when I am
          shooting an end for points and may not mix and match ends to obtain a
          higher score. Because of this published rule I ask a marshal to accompany
          me when scoring ends. Further, we have a tally sheet maintained by the
          marshals. I personally note the scores on the sheet for each end, but
          total the final score in the presence of a marshal.
        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005

            > Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties
            > of
            > ensuring range safety is when I have to keep an eye on my watch for 30
            > seconds during the timed end...

            And hence why I highly encourage people to use the highly mundane 'tape
            recorder' or 'CD player', because it adds to the safety of our sport by
            freeing the marshal from watching his watch, and instead watching the range.

            Siegfried