Re: [SCA-Archery] Ranking vs Safety, Royal Rounds & rewards

  • JohnBorOx@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      In a message dated 10/1/2005 12:08:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com writes:

      So we can continue on as
      >always. Except to maybe disconnect the ranking system from the archery
      >marshals office. That I think still needs to be done.
      >
      >Njall

      Greetings all,

      Here in the East, we have an officer deputy to the Captain General of
      Archers who is the scorekeeper. As a Marshal, I do not find it difficult or a
      burden to keep scores and submit them. As a marshal I am responsible to ensure
      that archers are using safe equipment in a safe form. By running a Royal
      Round I find this but an extension of my Safety officer duties. I can ensure
      consistency in form. I am also an arbiter in case of conflict or question.

      As archers I believe we need some structure for our art. As a marshal I
      can help provide that. There are few awards or rewards we receive as an
      archery as compared to the other weapons forms such as heavy list or fencing (In
      the East we only have one Kingdom Award, the Sagittarius, and the Royal Round
      ranks). Within medieval life there was always an order to your activity. Be
      it via class or guild. How can we be sure to whom to look to for instruction?
      (Another of my duties as a marshal). We do not usually allow someone to
      become a marshal in the East unless they are at least ranked as a Bowman,
      ensuring some skill and knowledge. In rare cases do archers become marshals,
      usually only when there is great need in the local area.

      I personally, like Lord Anthony (with whom I gladly shared that lonely
      hour with Li Kung Lo at GNEW learning a lot), have found the Ranking system to
      be an inspiration and helpful in setting and realizing goals.
      I find that the various shoots we have all require different skills be
      used. Advancing soldier requires rapid adjustment of aim. Slot and slat shoots
      require us to hold a steady hand when firing (horizontally), while friend foe
      gives us several points in which to aim.

      As far as the thought that a larger target (gold or eaten out center)
      making us sloppier in our aim, I believe that it can be cured by not focusing on
      the "peg" but on the intersection of a horizontal and vertical line
      envisioned from the edge of the target face. I am nearsighted and
      do not wear my glasses when I shot. I find that this method means I do not
      have to have crystal clear vision to shoot we.. I can take the center of the
      "blur" and aim for that. My friends call it "Zen" archery. *grin*

      Let's keep the 60 cm target and use the "traditional" targets in conjunction
      with them.

      Just my two cents worth.

      In Service to the Dream,

      John Bor Ox
      Archery Captain/Marshal
      Province of Malagentia, Kingdom of the East

    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        As to submitting scores, I believe this should be done by the
        marshals. This has nothing to do with the safety aspect of their job. The
        original duty of the marshal regarding the inspection was to insure that
        the equipment meets the SCA standard for competition. The line marshals
        also do the actual scoring, or at least they judge whether a shot does or
        does not cut the line. That said, there is no reason the marshals should
        be troubled with the job of collecting and tabulating scores.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

> [...]
        >
        > As far as the thought that a larger target (gold or eaten out center)
        >making us sloppier in our aim, I believe that it can be cured by
        >not focusing on
        >the "peg" but on the intersection of a horizontal and vertical line
        >envisioned from the edge of the target face. I am nearsighted and
        >do not wear my glasses when I shot. I find that this method means I do not
        >have to have crystal clear vision to shoot we.. I can take the center of
        >the
        > "blur" and aim for that. My friends call it "Zen" archery. *grin*
        >
        >Let's keep the 60 cm target and use the "traditional" targets in conjunction
        >with them.
        >
        >Just my two cents worth.
        >
        >In Service to the Dream,
        >
        >John Bor Ox
        >Archery Captain/Marshal
        >Province of Malagentia, Kingdom of the East

      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
          James Koch wrote:

          >The line marshals
          >also do the actual scoring, or at least they judge whether a shot does or
          >does not cut the line.

          For most mundane competitions there are officials that do the scoring.
          My experience in the SCA is that being an honor based society, we allow
          the archers to score their own shots. Archers may occasionally ask a
          marshals opinion about how they think a shot should be scored.

          Of course different traditions are apparent in in various kingdoms and
          the SCA Target Archery rules dont address such trivia but they also dont
          address the use if FITA or any other specific targets but the IKAC rules
          do say, "Scoring is on the honor system: you may count and record your
          own score."

          -EA
        • Lord Antony
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            An excellent point about the scoring - I always have a sheet available at
            any range I am marshalling (I even did so for East archers at Pennsic for
            all the shifts I worked the range) and explain that anyone who wishes to can
            submit a Royal Round score by filling in the appropriate info and writing
            down their scores. I am always sure to point out that it IS an honor system
            and that if they cheat on their scores they are only cheating themselves...
            Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties of
            ensuring range safety is when I have to keep an eye on my watch for 30
            seconds during the timed end...

            Lord Antony

            > >also do the actual scoring, or at least they judge whether a shot does or
            > >does not cut the line.
            > >

            > For most mundane competitions there are officials that do the scoring.
            > My experience in the SCA is that being an honor based society, we allow
            > the archers to score their own shots. Archers may occasionally ask a
            > marshals opinion about how they think a shot should be scored.
            >
            > Of course different traditions are apparent in in various kingdoms and
            > the SCA Target Archery rules dont address such trivia but they also dont
            > address the use if FITA or any other specific targets but the IKAC rules
            > do say, "Scoring is on the honor system: you may count and record your
            > own score."
            >
            > -EA

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
              Lord Anthony,

              >An excellent point about the scoring - I always have a sheet available at
              >any range I am marshalling (I even did so for East archers at Pennsic for
              >all the shifts I worked the range) and explain that anyone who wishes to can
              >submit a Royal Round score by filling in the appropriate info and writing
              >down their scores. I am always sure to point out that it IS an honor system
              >and that if they cheat on their scores they are only cheating themselves...
              >Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties of

              It may be an honor system in the East, but according to the published rules
              here in the Midrealm
              http://www.castlewalls.com/archery/Royal_Round_Rules/royal_round_rules.html
              "Royal Rounds must be witnessed by a warranted Archery Marshal
              (self-witnessed does not count) ". I have also been told that I can shoot
              as many practice rounds as I wish, but I must declare in advance when I am
              shooting an end for points and may not mix and match ends to obtain a
              higher score. Because of this published rule I ask a marshal to accompany
              me when scoring ends. Further, we have a tally sheet maintained by the
              marshals. I personally note the scores on the sheet for each end, but
              total the final score in the presence of a marshal.
            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005

                > Then the only part of the scoring process that takes away from my duties
                > of
                > ensuring range safety is when I have to keep an eye on my watch for 30
                > seconds during the timed end...

                And hence why I highly encourage people to use the highly mundane 'tape
                recorder' or 'CD player', because it adds to the safety of our sport by
                freeing the marshal from watching his watch, and instead watching the range.

                Siegfried