Re: [SCA-Archery] Ranking System

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2005
      Indeed, a very "old and good friend". Njall and I go back nearly 30
      years now and constantly challenge each other. His insights and
      comments have caused me to constantly re-evaluate my positions and
      shift my point of view. Thanks for many years of service to the SCA
      and your friends, Njall. Looking forward to many more.
      Carolus

      At 11:14 PM 9/30/2005, you wrote:

      > >(and likewise so folks have a point of reference)
      > >THL Carolus von Eulenhorst
      > >current Caidan Master of Archers
      > >

      >And let me further add to those titles "my old and good friend"! lest
      >anyone think there is any animosity.
      >
      >Carolus has many a good point. Yes the Knights and white scarves can be
      >an an old boys network ( as I know first hand from being part of the
      >later group). And the earlier awards can be a result of politics more
      >then skill.
      >
      >Perhaps if the rankings were based on a wider range of skills then just
      >the royal round. But as Carolus says, no one has brought a workable
      >suggestion forward.
      >
      >But it all comes down to me just grousing. The system isn't so flawed as
      >to be broken. And in another thread I think we can safely see that the
      >supply of 60cm faces isn't really in any risk. So we can continue on as
      >always. Except to maybe disconnect the ranking system from the archery
      >marshals office. That I think still needs to be done.
      >
      >Njall

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >--
    • Seán Moore
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
        In the UK, we still use FITA target Faces, both manfactured by Bjorn and by
        Maple Leaf
        Press, the Official NFAA and US FITA manufacturer.
        So even if the scales were to tip drastically towards IFAA, there are still
        huge demands for the FITA target faces from GNAS, BLBS, IFAF etc. to keep
        the process going. There are basically only two faces that would change and
        they are made by other suppliers.
        I have looked into getting the period faces printed, through a target face
        manufacturer, it is expensive, yet, through a conventional printer, it is
        not too bad, for basically the same process.

        Se�n the Archer

        ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
        Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          I have a plastic copy of the 60 cm period target(with extra lines to be used
          as a Fita face, in B&W. It was ment to be used to print period faces. I
          have never taken it to a printer to see what could be done.

          James Cunningham
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
            You would not need to convet the scores! Just set the rank/score and
            everyone would have to shoot them. It would make some old heads dust the
            bows off and give it a go. Some would not be able to get to the rank they
            use to hold but ...if they wanted to practice hard enough.....but that is
            what the ranking system was suposted to do in the first place.... get us out
            to shoot?

            James Cunningham
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
              > Indeed, rankings systems are a two edged sword. They are a burden to
              > the officers, a pain to administer, and an artificial marker at
              > best. However, I have seen great interest in rankings in beginning
              > to high intermediate archers (their importance wanes with experience
              > and skill) and this seems to make them a useful tool. It also gives
              > a tangible point at which acknowledgement can be given an
              > archer. And this reinforcement for accomplishment is something the
              > SCA as a whole is very poor at.

              I agree with Carolus on this and have seen this happen localy and kingdom
              wide. The high ranking archers only shoot a complete RR to confirm they are
              still "in practice" or to find out if they need more.

              James Cunningham