Re: [SCA-Archery] Target Stand Plans

  • Blackmoon
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
      GREETINGS

      FOR QUICK , PORTABLE , AND DURABLE TRIPOD STANDS FOR THE SAUNDERS BUTTS .
      YOU MIGHT TRY GETTING 3 - 2X4'S , 2 - 6' AND 1 - 8' .
      STACK THEM SHORT, LONG ,SHORT .MAKING ONE END EVEN.
      CENTER A HOLE ( APROX. 3/8 " HOLE ) APROX. 4" FROM THE EVEN ENDS , CENTERED
      ACROSS THE 2X4 .
      DRILL THROUGH ALL 3 2 X 4'S , PLACE A BOLT THROUGH THE HOLES , WITH WASHERS
      NEXT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOLT, AND NEXT TO THE NUT. ( DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN )
      YOU MUST HAVE SOME PLAY , SO THAT AS YOU SPREAD THE FRONT LEGS , IT PINCHES
      THE REAR LEG IN PLACE .
      AT THIS TIME YOU CAN PRE-DRILL THE HOLES IN THE FRONT LEGS , INTO WHICH YOU
      WILL SCREW THE FLAT RUBBER COATED BICYCLE HOOKS , TO HOLD THE BUTT AT THE
      PREDETERMINED HEIGHT .

      THEY PACK DOWN INTO THE SPACE OF 3 2 X 4'S BY 8 ' LONG , SIMPLY BY
      UNSCREWING THE BICYCLE HOOKS.
      SO FAR MINE HAVE BOTH TRAVELED WELL , AND SURVIVED THE INEVITABLE ARROW
      STRIKES FROM 60 + LB . BOWS
      AND THERE IS VERY LITTLE METAL TO DAMAGE AN ARROW .
      AND IF WHAT I WAS TOLD IS CORRECT , THEY PLACE THE BUTT AT SOMETHING
      APPROACHING A PERIOD HEIGHT FROM THE GROUND .
      IN ANY CASE , SINCE THE REQUIRED PRACTICES WERE SET UP TO PREPARE ARCHERS
      FOR WAR .
      MY BUTTS ARE SET TO PLACE THE TARGETS AT THE PROPER HEIGHT FOR A CHEST OR
      ABDOMINAL
      STRIKE.
      ( NOTE , THESE ARE ALSO VERY CHEAP TO MAKE . )

      BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
      ARTHUR BLACKMOON
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
        Lord Simon Hondy of the Shire of Baile na Scolairi, Middle Kingdom,
        has plans for some excellent folding/portable target stands on his
        website.

        http://www.chameleon.net/~scholari/sca/combat/stand/index.html

        William of Mann

        > Does anybody have any plans to build a portable (and foldable for
        > storage) archery target stand?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Fearghus mac Domhnaill
        > Bright Hills

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jeff Elder
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
          Ahh those Atenveldt Archers!!

          Johann are these you design?! I was given descriptions by Philip of
          Kentshire, which I have a web page of also:
          http://www.chameleon.net/~scholari/sca/combat/stand/index.html

          I Love this design it folds up narrow, and my shire has been shooting at the
          same stands for about 4 years now, nearly every weekend. Other than the
          occasional arrow into the hinge at the top we love them.

          Simon Hondy
          "Cum Omni humilitate
          faciant ipsas artes"
          -St. Benedict

        • Johann Friedrich
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
            My design is a variation based on the stands used by the Baronies of
            SunDragon and Atenveldt. I used the same general design, then used FITA
            regulations when determining measurements and angles. I almost laughed
            when I looked at your page and saw the pictures.. VERY similar. =-)

            This design is easily portable and fairly stable. One option I've seen is
            to use a chain or rope 'Y' that attaches to either side of the target
            butt, and to a stake on the ground between the back legs. This will allow
            the stand to hold up during any wind that you might encounter while
            shooting.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
              yeah the staking for windy days, I have had them blow over forward a few
              times in a stiff breeze. Might have to add in places for the ropes to be
              placed on those breezy day, thank you for that tip!

              I am not sure the exact degree of tilt on my stands, but I know they lean
              back a tad, much like the FITA targets do. And once you have one made you
              can reuse the metal parts when replacing the wood, and if a wood piece goes
              really bad it is about a dollar to replace a 6 foot board. I think we paid
              a total of 9 dollars per stand when we built ours.

              Simon Hondy
              "Cum Omni humilitate
              faciant ipsas artes"
              -St. Benedict