Re: [SCA-Archery] Target Stand Plans

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
      Fearghus,

      I have built a couple of tripods to support Saunders mats. I bought wood
      screws, three lengths of 2x2 as legs, a short length of 2x4, and a strap
      hinge. I cut a short piece of 2x4 and attached it to the tops of two 2x2s
      on what would be the back side of the support. Half way down the 2x2s on
      the front side I attached a several foot long piece of 2x4 to form an A
      shape. The long 2x4 was attached so as to form a shelf to support the
      mat. To the short 2x4 on the back side of the support I attached the strap
      hinge and the remaining 2x2 leg. I tied the middle of a rope from the back
      leg and tied each end to one of the front legs. This produces a rugged,
      cheap stable support that folds flat for transport.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

      > At 09:57 AM 9/28/2005, you wrote:
      >Does anybody have any plans to build a portable (and foldable for
      >storage) archery target stand?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Fearghus mac Domhnaill
      >Bright Hills

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Blackmoon
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
        GREETINGS

        FOR QUICK , PORTABLE , AND DURABLE TRIPOD STANDS FOR THE SAUNDERS BUTTS .
        YOU MIGHT TRY GETTING 3 - 2X4'S , 2 - 6' AND 1 - 8' .
        STACK THEM SHORT, LONG ,SHORT .MAKING ONE END EVEN.
        CENTER A HOLE ( APROX. 3/8 " HOLE ) APROX. 4" FROM THE EVEN ENDS , CENTERED
        ACROSS THE 2X4 .
        DRILL THROUGH ALL 3 2 X 4'S , PLACE A BOLT THROUGH THE HOLES , WITH WASHERS
        NEXT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOLT, AND NEXT TO THE NUT. ( DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN )
        YOU MUST HAVE SOME PLAY , SO THAT AS YOU SPREAD THE FRONT LEGS , IT PINCHES
        THE REAR LEG IN PLACE .
        AT THIS TIME YOU CAN PRE-DRILL THE HOLES IN THE FRONT LEGS , INTO WHICH YOU
        WILL SCREW THE FLAT RUBBER COATED BICYCLE HOOKS , TO HOLD THE BUTT AT THE
        PREDETERMINED HEIGHT .

        THEY PACK DOWN INTO THE SPACE OF 3 2 X 4'S BY 8 ' LONG , SIMPLY BY
        UNSCREWING THE BICYCLE HOOKS.
        SO FAR MINE HAVE BOTH TRAVELED WELL , AND SURVIVED THE INEVITABLE ARROW
        STRIKES FROM 60 + LB . BOWS
        AND THERE IS VERY LITTLE METAL TO DAMAGE AN ARROW .
        AND IF WHAT I WAS TOLD IS CORRECT , THEY PLACE THE BUTT AT SOMETHING
        APPROACHING A PERIOD HEIGHT FROM THE GROUND .
        IN ANY CASE , SINCE THE REQUIRED PRACTICES WERE SET UP TO PREPARE ARCHERS
        FOR WAR .
        MY BUTTS ARE SET TO PLACE THE TARGETS AT THE PROPER HEIGHT FOR A CHEST OR
        ABDOMINAL
        STRIKE.
        ( NOTE , THESE ARE ALSO VERY CHEAP TO MAKE . )

        BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
        ARTHUR BLACKMOON

      • blooney@wi.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
          Lord Simon Hondy of the Shire of Baile na Scolairi, Middle Kingdom,
          has plans for some excellent folding/portable target stands on his
          website.

          http://www.chameleon.net/~scholari/sca/combat/stand/index.html

          William of Mann

          > Does anybody have any plans to build a portable (and foldable for
          > storage) archery target stand?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Fearghus mac Domhnaill
          > Bright Hills

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jeff Elder
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
            Ahh those Atenveldt Archers!!

            Johann are these you design?! I was given descriptions by Philip of
            Kentshire, which I have a web page of also:
            http://www.chameleon.net/~scholari/sca/combat/stand/index.html

            I Love this design it folds up narrow, and my shire has been shooting at the
            same stands for about 4 years now, nearly every weekend. Other than the
            occasional arrow into the hinge at the top we love them.

            Simon Hondy
            "Cum Omni humilitate
            faciant ipsas artes"
            -St. Benedict

          • Johann Friedrich
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
              My design is a variation based on the stands used by the Baronies of
              SunDragon and Atenveldt. I used the same general design, then used FITA
              regulations when determining measurements and angles. I almost laughed
              when I looked at your page and saw the pictures.. VERY similar. =-)

              This design is easily portable and fairly stable. One option I've seen is
              to use a chain or rope 'Y' that attaches to either side of the target
              butt, and to a stake on the ground between the back legs. This will allow
              the stand to hold up during any wind that you might encounter while
              shooting.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
                yeah the staking for windy days, I have had them blow over forward a few
                times in a stiff breeze. Might have to add in places for the ropes to be
                placed on those breezy day, thank you for that tip!

                I am not sure the exact degree of tilt on my stands, but I know they lean
                back a tad, much like the FITA targets do. And once you have one made you
                can reuse the metal parts when replacing the wood, and if a wood piece goes
                really bad it is about a dollar to replace a 6 foot board. I think we paid
                a total of 9 dollars per stand when we built ours.

                Simon Hondy
                "Cum Omni humilitate
                faciant ipsas artes"
                -St. Benedict